What does this "socket" fit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this "socket" fit ?

I bought this set of 6 mm bits because, in addition to all the odd forms, it contained a complete set of miniature sockets, 2.5 - 5.0 mm by 0.5 mm steps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	1876402

I noticed that there was an extra "socket". Not a conventional hex, it looked like a female die for making the tip of a Philips head screwdriver

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	1876403

and, indeed, perfectly fit a #2 Philips bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010109.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	1876404

What sort of fastener is this bit meant to fit or does it have some other purpose?
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

I have both internal and external Torx drivers/sockets so maybe it's like those, made to mate up with an external #2 Phillips headed bolt/screw?

Comment

looks like a #2 phillips driver for a hex head screw.
      Will that allow a #2 phillips to drive 1/4" hex bits?

Comment

Security fasteners change all the time. Maybe that's a new one. I sure don't know why you'd want to drive a 1/4" hex with a Phillips. ???

Comment

I'm sort of thinking that it's some new seldom seen sort of security fastener too. Otherwise it's just WAY too Rube Goldberg'ish…..
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

What is the shape on the left side?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Female_Phillips.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1876519 Oh, now I see that it is just a 1/4" hex. It looked like the brown facet was a tapered slot.

Here is the answer: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...crewdriver-bit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverted_Phillips.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1876520
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Thanks for the information, Paul.

The shape on the left is the 4 mm hex that all the bits have; it is these hex ends that fit into the magnetic sockets on all the handles.

Your URL shows exactly the same tool kit that I have. Apparently the individual who submitted the question had the same confusion about this bit that I had.

The screw head you show (convex Phillips ?) is has exactly the shape that this socket would fit. The shape would certainly serve as a security feature.

I've never seen screws of this type; have you?
              Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I certainly never have. I would assume they are always used in a recess, since the pointy Phillips part would be a nasty item to have poking out of some surface. Also it would be subject to damage rendering it not possible to remove.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

The big question is Why? What purpose or application is that serving, that could not be served as well or better by some far more orthodox fastener? The classic solution in search of a problem.

Having the engagement features raised like that would seem to make them more susceptible to damage.
                  Last edited by lynnl; 05-21-2020, 11:37 AM.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

There are so many variations, it blows your mind.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/

Comment

Of course, if you filed the lump off after installing one of these screws, it would make a very effective security screw...

George B.

Comment

I think it was Chevy that had security spark plugs some years back. They just broke-off when you tried to remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                          I think it was Chevy that had security spark plugs some years back. They just broke-off when you tried to remove them.
                          Torque to yield fasteners are common in automobiles so torque to shear is the next logical step. Shear-head bolts and nuts are actually quite common in some products like powerline extensions/couplers.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            Ford Triton engines have a special kit just for busted off plugs, they are infamous for it. Chevy was the busted off manifold bolts. You remember when they had special wrenches with 3 different bends in them?

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember now. Thanks for helping me relive a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                              X