Buehler Micromet Etcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buehler Micromet Etcher

Two questions. First I was wondering if anyone knows 'exactly' how this is used? Secondly I wanted to use it for something else but I'm not sure it would be appropriate as a Variac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_110129.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1876650Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_105301.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	1876652Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_105429.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1876651

Mmmm….
    Witness interrogation program ? ? ?
    Don't forget to wet the sponge.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Used for electro-chemically etching. Mr Pete had a video on it a while back. Basically one cord goes to the work, the other one holds something like a cotton ball or small brush soaked in the chemical of your choice. Salt water works on steel. You cover the part with some kind of etch resist, and scribe you artwork through the resist. Then turn the machine on and wipe the area gently with your electrically charged cotton ball loaded with salt water. The results look factory-made like the etching they do on new sockets and wrenches etc.

Comment

This is most likely not an etcher for marking. Buehler is a pretty well known brand in metallurgical circles. Probably for etching polished steel samples like when checking grain structure.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
          This is most likely not an etcher for marking. Buehler is a pretty well known brand in metallurgical circles. Probably for etching polished steel samples like when checking grain structure.
          That's what I assumed since it says apparatus for metallurgy/geology. I did find this but thought someone here might have used this before. I'm not sure what's missing. I did contact the manufacture but haven't heard back.

https://www.buehler.com/metallographic-etching.php

-JW:

Comment

Problem is with these? The Chems. Hard to get and not easy to reproduce. I know how to. Chemist wanna-be. I have a few exhibition machines and the original chems. I even make my own silk screen patterns. Very, very fine. I looked for the finest mesh I could find. Its a light film you idiots. We have to go in the red room I made for developing very fine mesh . On Any metal mind you without any heat transfer.

Barter.

I can electroetch your symbol or mark on most metals.

For cheap, Barter. JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

would anybody know what the difference is between electro etching and using nital?

Comment

I think electrolytic etching for grain structure/size is normally only used for stainless steel and aluminum.

Comment

makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X