No announcement yet.

Good old Harbor Fright strikes again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a US made battery charger there are several companies here still making them. The catch is they don't make cheap DIY weekend warrior battery chargers. Associated is one such company, their entry level charger is $250 for a 40/10/200 wheelie charger-
    https://associatedequip.com/about/
    We picked up one of their 6001A chargers at auction awhile ago, it's a welding machine in disguise, it also retails for around $600.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      It is easy to trash on China.
      They are a communist country and have authoritarian rule.
      Human rights in China is very bad.
      The government just sends in soldiers and they do what they want.
      The morality and ethics of the government is just terrible.

Now what is the cause of everything being made in China and imported into America
      is the greed of the rich people who run the enterprise in America.
      They offshore production to China, India, (they call them "low-cost countries" to be PC)
      So they sell their products at the same price as before they offshored production,
      reap even more profit, and eliminate jobs of the American workers that previously made
      these products. I work In a big factory. I see this offshoring and laying off entire departments
      every month.

It is pure human greed and the lust to make a profit for the company shareholders at all costs.
      Eliminating American workers. they don't care.
      Slapping an American brand name on a product imported from China, they don't care.
      Selling poor quality, bottom dollar junk, they don't care.
      Taking away the QC department and inspections, they don't care.
      Ruining an American brand name by associating it with total China made junk, they don't care.
      All the rich folks care about is profit.
      The stupid little quality slogans like "The customer is always first" is true.
      But the sheep don't know that the customer is the stock holder, not the end user.

China is not really the problem.
      It is the elite ruling class in America, fueled by pure human greed and the lust for power is the problem.
      Wake up people.

-Doozer
      All good points, but you forgot a few. Those elites also use the force of law to destroy any homegrown competition. The game is purposefully rigged so it is becoming increasingly difficult for a startup business to survive in manufacturing. If one does succeed, then you face full exposure to Tort and will require the assistance of a small,expensive army of lawyers and accountants to protect what you have built.

We could do a lot to right the ship if we simply did tax and tort reform.

Comment

The big problem in the West, particularly the UK and the USA is the love of shareholders and investors in LTD companies.
        = Greed and profit for the shareholders and investors as the company needs to "grow".
        Then trash it or sell it.
        I don't see this happening so much in France or Italy (govt intervention to support ailing companies) and especially in Germany, which has a rich tradition of trade apprenticeships, long term rather than short term thinking, pride in their PLC small family run name, family owned businesses (PLC), that are not prepared to sell their souls for greater profit share and becoming a bigger company (LTD).
        Capitalism as in stocks and shares, has worked sorta for half a century, but is it the answer?

Comment

@thaiguzzi: "Capitalism as in stocks and shares, has worked sorta for half a century, but is it the answer?"

Capitalism is "supposed to be" energized by enlightened self-interest. For some decades now, that seems little more than an empty slogan. Greed is good; social responsibility is some kind of commie plot designed to undermine our fundamental freedoms.
          Last edited by tlfamm; Yesterday, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Thirty or forty years ago ,I bought a good ole USA BRAND 20 amp charger.When it failed me,I took it apart and was surprised to see what I considered crude looking home made diodes. I am not an electronics person ,but I do know what a proper welll made sealed diode should look like.. I think that the charger companies have been useing home brew diodes for some time.Edwin Dirnbeck. .

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              And why do the importers do that? The customers of the chinese (the importers) do that because (so they say), YOU want them to.... YOU demand the lowest prices, so say the importers.

I say it is YOU, because I know darn sure it is NOT ME.
              says the man complaining about his HF POS charger

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

says the man complaining about his HF POS charger
                Now there is where you are wrong, and you would know it if you bothered to read the thread!

Said so above..... It's the very first line of post 32 or thereabout.....

"Of course, the intent here was not to complain about HF, but to give yet another example of how and why their stuff is often crap (but they are NOT alone)

I was certainly not surprised by the failure. I know I bought a less expensive device."

And it explains just how a perfectly decent design of charger, every bit as good as an old Schumacher US made cheap POS, was taken down by ONE bad design idea.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  If you want a US made battery charger there are several companies here still making them. The catch is they don't make cheap DIY weekend warrior battery chargers. Associated is one such company, their entry level charger is $250 for a 40/10/200 wheelie charger-
                  https://associatedequip.com/about/
                  We picked up one of their 6001A chargers at auction awhile ago, it's a welding machine in disguise, it also retails for around $600.
                  Heck, there is no sense in spending $600 for a charger that has been used maybe 5 times since it was bought.

That's the basic reason FOR lower cost goods.... what you called "weekend warrior" products (pretty much a direct insult to the Army reserves, but we'll leave that)

There have ALWAYS BEEN cheaper products and ones (such as you mention) for somewhat "industrial" uses. The differnce now is that ALL of the cheaper products are made in china. They are made there basically because Walmart forced all the manufacturers to do that. Walmart gave them all a choice..... accept what we will pay, which will go down 10% per year, or we drop you as a supplier.

Yep, that is "monopoly capitalism" at its 1800s, "Standard Oil" worst. And it worked. All those companies went off-shore in order to keep selling to Walmart, because they were all DEPENDENT on Walmart as a customer.

So, we have what we have.... those products CANNOT BE MADE in the US and sell against Walmart etc at their bottom-of-the -barrel pricing.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post
                    Tiers, its from china what do you expect? This is not news or even note worthy in that we have had years of training to become accustomed to buy a Chinese pos and throw it out when it doesn't work. They collect our money and we have no recourse. I'd tell you to send it back to China but they would just put it in a new box and sell it back to horror freight.
                    I suspect that the Corona virus spread so fast because it was in the smoke that is visible when the electricity leaks out of all the stuff they sell around the world.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
                      @thaiguzzi: "Capitalism as in stocks and shares, has worked sorta for half a century, but is it the answer?"

Capitalism is "supposed to be" energized by enlightened self-interest. For some decades now, that seems little more than an empty slogan. Greed is good; social responsibility is some kind of commie plot designed to undermine our fundamental freedoms.
                      Thank you. +1.

Comment

They can make quality things in China, no doubt, and I agree that peoples demand for ever cheaper products is a driving force in the disposable crap lifestyle that has become the forefront of manufacturing. A stagnation in wages compared to inflation has replaced wage hikes with cheap crap to some extent.(Walmart's live better through cheap crap slogan comes to mind) My beef with China revolves around making a totalitarian communist regime that not only is a huge violator of human rights, but practices currency manipulation, counterfeiting, espionage (both governmental and corporate), who's attempted cover up literally destroyed the world economy, one of the largest economic powers in the world. All so people can have cheap crap, and corporations can increase their margins. All anyone has to do is look up China's 1000 year plan to see what their intentions are.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

There only 'our' enemy because we made them our enemy.
                          No, I think economically he's right. We've allowed it to happen, but its essentially been an authoritarian state suppressing their people's welfare to gain market share, combined with barriers to entry, abuse of intellectual property, UPU etc. Its arguable that its economic warfare, worse than what Japan did. To maintain the balance of payment we've essentially had to sell, domestic assets (via FDI) and public debt. We put up with it because it subsidizes our nice lifestyle....and we watch as China ascends to the position of top economic power.

But don't feel downtrodden.....what should matter to us is not GDP, but GDP per capita. Rising GDP/capita and less people should imo be the plan
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; Yesterday, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

I suspect that the Corona virus spread so fast because it was in the smoke that is visible when the electricity leaks out of all the stuff they sell around the world.
                            No, it was in the bubble wrap padding and the bubble wrap envelopes the crap they ship is packed in.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Heck, there is no sense in spending $600 for a charger that has been used maybe 5 times since it was bought.

That's the basic reason FOR lower cost goods.... what you called "weekend warrior" products (pretty much a direct insult to the Army reserves, but we'll leave that)

There have ALWAYS BEEN cheaper products and ones (such as you mention) for somewhat "industrial" uses. The differnce now is that ALL of the cheaper products are made in china. They are made there basically because Walmart forced all the manufacturers to do that. Walmart gave them all a choice..... accept what we will pay, which will go down 10% per year, or we drop you as a supplier.

Yep, that is "monopoly capitalism" at its 1800s, "Standard Oil" worst. And it worked. All those companies went off-shore in order to keep selling to Walmart, because they were all DEPENDENT on Walmart as a customer.

So, we have what we have.... those products CANNOT BE MADE in the US and sell against Walmart etc at their bottom-of-the -barrel pricing.
                              IF you work on your own vehicles and do so regularly there may not be reason for buying the $600 model, but if you plan on doing so for many years, then the $250 model is perfectly reasonable. $250 isn't what it used to be and quite a few home mechanics/ automotive "hobbyists" regularly have equipment that costs far more.

We used to have lower end products made here, but then we used to have a lower wage pool of workers available (highschool and college students) we used to not have frivolous lawsuits( there was a time someone stupid enough to use a toaster in the bath tub didn't get rewarded for being stupid) we used to not have a tax code that is 118,000 pages long. I could go on for days, the point being the rules of the game have been in constant change for nearly 70 years. They haven't changed for the better, but in fact have made everything worse.

The only true monopolies that exist are those created by government. In the free market a true monopoly, if one can ever exist at all, can only do so for so long before it is destroyed. Our history is full of examples where the monopoly of the day was replaced by the better idea/product/service. Using Standard Oil as an example of a predatory monopoly is a poor choice.
                              https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-th...tory-monopoly/

Using Walmart as an example, isn't much better. Walmart has now and always has had competition, these days they have some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Amazon. Walmart, did no different than any of the other big box retail giants, they answered the demand of their customers for cheaper products. American consumers are on the whole pretty dumb and getting worse by the day. How else would we have people spending what they do on entertainment per year?

As far as Walmart forcing mfgs to lower prices, name one national chain that doesn't. If you are in business and you want to run with the big dogs, you have to play by their rules, simple as that. No one is forcing you to do business with them. You have the options of Target,Kmart,HD,Lowes etc, and thanks to the internet the ability to market directly to the consumer with no retailer in the way.

Comment

They know we will pop the bubble wrap.., they are a clever bunch..

Comment

Working...
                                X