Made a Welding Square. Also, Anchorlube review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quasi View Post
    a gallon of Anchor Lube is pretty expensive.
    $48 at MSC. Bit of an upfront cost, but a gallon would last me approximately forever. The 1 quart bottle of dark thread cutting oil i bought lasted me a solid 2 or 3 years, and that wouldve been longer had half of it not spilled on my basement floor. If i went through it faster and had to be buying a gallon every few months id stick with something cheaper, but for my occasional and sporadic use i can stomach the price.

Forestgnome, i wont argue that it makes a bit of a mess, but i prefer the mess it makes to WD40 or cutting oil. Given my choice in hobbies its kinda weird, but i cant stand getting grease or oil on my hands, so not using oils makes me a lot happier at the end of a job. Easier to clean off the parts too, since its water soluble and soap-based anyways. Toss it in the sink and the parts might come out even cleaner than they were at the start of the job! Kinda like the goopiness too, seems like i have to use less since itll stay in place on a part spinning in the lathe or a drill bit better. Not expecting the anchorlube to be better than everything in all applications, but im willing to settle for good enough in most of my tasks

Comment

40 years ago, found Anchorlube to be magic for Stainless Steel Jobs and have never looked back.
      I use it on everything , particularly on tapping
      It's number 1 in my book
      Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Another vote for Anchor Lube on stainless. I have been using it for drilling and taping stainless steel for at least fourty years also. I haven't tried it for anything else. Maybe I should.
        Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

it is very expensive in Kanucistan.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
            lets ust say it required some fixturing that probably wouldve got me banned from an actual machine shop
            In a real working shop, the best setup is the one that gets the job done with what you have on hand..... It's only in the theoretical shops, and Robin Renzitti's where everything is perfect lol. (not meant as a jab at Robin, just his perfection)

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
              Update on the Anchorlube side of this thread, found another positive; it doesnt cause rust, ....
              Bull freaking shlt ! It got my brand new Kurt vise rusty because I did not wipe it completely off.
              Not going to even let that stuff in my shop. I hate rust.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

In a real working shop, the best setup is the one that gets the job done with what you have on hand..... It's only in the theoretical shops, and Robin Renzitti's where everything is perfect lol. (not meant as a jab at Robin, just his perfection)
                I mean, it got the job done but im not completely sure how it worked without turning the workpiece into a projectile... Screwless vise holding the work sideways, couple strap clamps barely holding things to the table. No way in hell would it have stood up to milling, i still cant figure out how i was able to do any drilling without it shifting. Good vise i guess

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Bull freaking shlt ! It got my brand new Kurt vise rusty because I did not wipe it completely off.
                Not going to even let that stuff in my shop. I hate rust.

-Doozer
                Got a cast iron 123 block that i let it dry on thats completely rust free, so nope, no bull****

Comment

I noticed Abom79 hasn't been using Anchorlube any more. He's gone back to stuff in a squirt can. Anchorlube also won't say what's in it. The SDS says proprietary. I'll keep using WD-40 and my other favorite. I won't mention that one because it's hard to find already and I don't want the price going up.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                    and my other favorite. I won't mention that one because it's hard to find already and I don't want the price going up.
                    You're worried we're gonna start buying your favorite rare scotch to use as cutting lube?

Comment

Working...
                    X