No announcement yet.

RFC: Brown & Sharpe clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um. Metric was legalized in 1865, and mandated for all new designs in 1986.

Point taken about proprietary threads though -- it was very common before the SAE.

Comment

If one works with old machines and "toys" you often encounter unusual screw threads. the old American National Standards were not really "standard" . with trade size numbers ranging from the now familiar #2 through #10 the old lists continued on to at least #30. These days where we can get into trouble is with the sizes closest to 1/4 " to 3/8". To add to the problem the old standards listed the familiar threads 30, 24, 20, 18, 16, 14 tpi. The following are some of the sizes to be most watchful of...

14 - ,242 inch
      16 - ,268
      18- . 295
      20 - .321
      22- .347
      24- .374
      26 . .400

Joe B

Comment

I have a magnetic knife rack wired to the back of a pushbroom. When I'm up a creek like you are, I carefully sweep the magnet over the whole area. Then I put gloves on and wipe all the trash into a little box and go through it. Nine times out of 10 that gets it.

Comment

I hope you find your screw. Recently I was making some missing parts for a b&s 752 vise . The small screw that holds the sliding jaw is like a .130-48. I had another 752 and measured it. I made a jaw for the other vise and used a 5-40.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
            I have some 2-56 nylon screws for R/C servos and one seems to fit. This is a very small screw- I don't think the local hardware will be able to cover it, but I'm going to try tomorrow. My usual source for small fasteners is the local hobby shop, which is closed for the duration.

Again, this is a tiny pan head screw- a fly may have swiped it.
            Got access to a junked IBM Selectric? I have a jar full of screws that were taken from one of those, and some have pan heads with threads finer than my gage can measure. (4-40).
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Reviving an old thread. Whenever I retire an old computer, I take the magnets out of the HD- they're strong and handy. Today I was dissembling the HD out of a dead laptop and on a whim, tried one of the screws that retained the magnets and sonofabeach, it threaded right in! So the B&S clamp can go back to work and I have a couple of spare screws 'just in case'.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                Seems about every time I see a small screw called for, more often than not it's a 4-40. I'd try that.
                Whenever I run across a smallish screw on some Starrett device, I have learned to try a 4-48.... Starrett seems to have just loved that thread.

2-64 is a little beggar, but at least it is UNF. For that matter the 4-48 is also.

I always buy boxes of old taps & dies at sales, if there is any promise of stuff past the common things. So I have lots of odd taps and dies (although rarely the one I need right then). Stuff like 1/2-28, and 1/2-32 (which are actually, respectively, UNEF, and UN). and other oddities.

Rivett used some odd threads also, and I actually had some of them when I needed them, although I usually had the tap or the die, when I needed the reverse.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I had to sweep my floor in stages, sifting through all the crap to finally find the part I lost.
                  Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    I usually had the tap or the die, when I needed the reverse.
                    Story of my life.

Comment

Working...
                    X