Too many welders. Thin the herd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many welders. Thin the herd?

Been purging things recently, and the barter thread has me looking at my collection of welders. Got an old Century 250a DC / 295a AC buzz box sitting here that came with a house I flipped ages ago. Works fine, but I also have a nice Everlast inverter TIG that will do 200a AC/DC stick.

Given I never do thick material (or stick, to be honest), any compelling reason to keep the buzzbox? Guessing no, as I've not touched it in almost a decade.
    Last edited by AWS; 05-22-2020, 09:09 PM.

I think you answered your own question !

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

Yeah, I think I did. Was more a sanity check before pitching it to FB/CL.

Comment

AWS,

You might try and find the nearest young fella that is into the hobby and gift it to him as a starter machine. If I had someone offer that to me in my early days, boy what a treasure it would have been, and who knows how different things would have been if I new welding at an early age.
        It's not worth that much in $$ but what you might get from the receiver is worth so much more.

Just me thinking outside of the box as I often do !

TX
        Mr fixit for the family
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
          AWS,

You might try and find the nearest young fella that is into the hobby and gift it to him as a starter machine. If I had someone offer that to me in my early days, boy what a treasure it would have been, and who knows how different things would have been if I new welding at an early age.
          It's not worth that much in $$ but what you might get from the receiver is worth so much more.

TX
          Mr fixit for the family
          Chris
          Great idea! And then reward your self with some accessories or consumables for the welder that you do use.

Comment

Really? AWS getting loose of a welder is like... Well, you know.. JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I'd ditch it. I got a similar machine from my MIL when my girlfriend's dad died. It was less machine than what I already had. Sat for quite a while, then I ran across a guy who had bought a 47 cfm compressor head at an auction and didn't want it. We made a trade. Now I just need to get it bolted up to my 80 gal tank. Will be a nice upgrade from my 16 cfm Ingersoll.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                Really? AWS getting loose of a welder is like... Well, you know.. JR
                All depends on what you’re offering in trade, JR. I was joking about wanting ducks, and cash is easiest for everyone.

Comment

When I first read the thread title, my thoughts were of how to rewire the machines to electrocute the operators.

Comment

I'm kinda in the same boat, but just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of the buzz box. The only reason I have for keeping it, is that it's easy to haul outside or back to the barn and run it off a generator. Other than that my lincoln tig is the main go to power source in the shop for everything except Mig. I've also got a little 140 hobart mig I need to get rid of too after upgrading.

I HATE selling stuff around here. I could put that buzz box up for sale for $150 (a reasonable price around here) with a couple boxes of rods, helmet, and everything you'd need to get started welding, and there within 30 minutes 10 guys would offer me $40, an old canoe, or a 1995 indy500 sled that "ran when put away". Never fails lol. It's kinda amusing, but slightly annoying when you just want to sell something. I've got a pile of surplus tools and stuff here, but have no patience to deal with the slobbering goobers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                      I'm kinda in the same boat, but just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of the buzz box. The only reason I have for keeping it, is that it's easy to haul outside or back to the barn and run it off a generator. Other than that my lincoln tig is the main go to power source in the shop for everything except Mig. I've also got a little 140 hobart mig I need to get rid of too after upgrading.

I HATE selling stuff around here. I could put that buzz box up for sale for $150 (a reasonable price around here) with a couple boxes of rods, helmet, and everything you'd need to get started welding, and there within 30 minutes 10 guys would offer me $40, an old canoe, or a 1995 indy500 sled that "ran when put away". Never fails lol. It's kinda amusing, but slightly annoying when you just want to sell something. I've got a pile of surplus tools and stuff here, but have no patience to deal with the slobbering goobers.
                      I believe this is the reason many of us are labeled hoarders. We're pretty well all cut from the same cloth here to some extent.
                      I have literally tons of stuff I'd like to get rid off, most of it in pretty decent shape, however I just can't or just don't want to deal with all of the jerk-offs that one sets himself up for when placing an ad.
                      Guess I'll just have to wait for a friend of a friend needing something so that I can contact them. LOL
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Dan, I wish I were closer as I'd put your arm out dragging that Hobart away for that money. I'd even cuddle it while I slept in the garage after getting booted out of the marital bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                          AWS,

TX
                          Mr fixit for the family
                          Chris
                          That would mean the world for a young man interested in the trades.. And I bet in time it would more than pay for itself with interest. Sometimes free is the most lucrative way of selling something.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            Dan, I wish I were closer as I'd put your arm out dragging that Hobart away for that money. I'd even cuddle it while I slept in the garage after getting booted out of the marital bed.
                            Too late. My Dad just laid claim to the little Hobart. Didn't solve my space problem as I had to take his radial arm saw but at least I can stick that in the barn with the rest of the sawdust makers and get it out of my garage.

Comment

no worries Plus you get to keep it as a back up "just in case" without having to store it, and you get a new tool. Can't beat that!

Comment

Working...
                              X