training wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training wheels

I've been asked to make some training wheels for a woman's bicycle. She is a larger woman and she doesn't have good balance. Two questions- how far apart can I put the wheels, and how far off the ground should they be? I don't want to make it dangerous. Anybody done something like this?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

If she has poor balance, the thing to do would be to get her to try an adult sized 3 wheeler.
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Comment

I agree with that. Every way I look at this, I see her toppling over. There is no money for anything other than the bike she has, so that's what she's stuck with. Maybe I make the wheelbase almost as wide as the handlebars-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

This should give you a starting point.

Comment

how far off the ground? every set of wheels i have seen were adjustable. thats the whole idea, i think,

Comment

Hi darryl,

How much do you want to help this person? Maybe you look into making a conversion kit to take the bike from a 2 wheel to a 3 wheel ride. They make kits (https://www.ebay.com/p/2154696281?iid=153938332430) or DIY https://www.rydoze.com/how-to-build-...cle-from-bike/
            You can also do it with some of the machines that we have for our hobby. The other thing is if the bike is a single speed or a multi speed bike, this will make the project simple or harder depending on the existing situation.
            So it really is how much effort and what level of a project do you want to make this. Let us know how it comes out, pictures are always a ++

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
              If she has poor balance, the thing to do would be to get her to try an adult sized 3 wheeler.
              I agree with this. Poor balance would seem to need the training wheels further out, and a larger rider means more force at the end of a longer lever. After you reinforce it sufficiently to deal with the forces, might end up having been easier to just add a second wheel to the rear

Comment

This is a one speed bike with a coaster brake. I do not have a lot of time to do this, but my main concern is that it can be safe. The more I think about it, the more it seems Tim Clarkes idea is the best one- she needs a three wheeler.

Comment

Sidecar.. like a cargo frame.. box optional..
                  not sure about today , but ladies bikes used to have lower gearing, so did delivery bikes.
                  in your opinion, will she maybe learn balance..or ?

Comment

Unless the bike will always be ridden on a hard flat surface, you can end up with one or two of the wheels off the ground. I recall riding one of my kids first bikes in the grass when the drive wheel suddenly lost traction because of the training wheels.
                    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Are you prepared to pay her medical bills?

If you are, take that money now . . . and buy her an adult tricycle.

Comment

There are special needs training wheels and adult training wheels, wouldn't be worth your while to make if its available commercially and it gets you out of the cross hairs.

imo training wheels are for little kids on little bikes, they bounce and are already close to the ground. She needs a trike as has been said. As for what might work for training wheels, it depends on how big she is and how bad the balance is. Centre of gravity is high and already forward of where the support is and if she canb't apply a righting force, over she goes. Admirable that you want to help but fraught with risk. imo few people assess and accept the risk....they'll just partake because you put it front of them, then the broken hip is your fault.
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; Yesterday, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I have to agree that a trike is the only solution. There are many different quality levels. You need to talk to a good bike shop that knows what is available and is interested in helping. And do a little looking on line. In any case several speeds would be a big help even for level bike trails as the wind and energy left can vary. At the least, possibly a rear cog with another tooth or two if you end up with a one speed.
                          Last edited by wdtom44; Yesterday, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6270 Productions View Post
                            Are you prepared to pay her medical bills?

If you are, take that money now . . . and buy her an adult tricycle.
                            Oh, for crying out loud. Just kill all the lawyers. Most of the world isn't all sprung up and ready to sue. You do a free favor for a friend, explain the risk and everybody makes a choice. If there were never any risk, nobody would ever be helped.
                            Southwest Utah

Comment

Hi Darryl,

Take a look at my post #6 this is an easy SAFE option. There are other ideas out there GOOGLE it, and wheels used are cheap. No modification to the bike and you have the tools to do it I assume.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture6.PNG Views:	0 Size:	697.9 KB ID:	1877081

TX
                              Mr fixit for the family
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X