Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have,, familiar with Clausing 5914, 5914 lathe,, 12x36 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWS View Post

Apologies, BCRider. Mixed up who was the OP

Yes, I suspect he didn’t know both types were possible.
    Well, you suspect wrong, very very wrong.
    notice in post #11 stated the chucks cannot SWAP.
    notice post #13, they are threaded,
    notice post #16, with links and pictures.
    I have already turned backplate for 5c, I get the idea,
    I have already turned my own ER32 threaded chuck, I get the idea,
    YOU are very wrong, thank you for your input.

Comment

.... and that, boys and girls, is why you should read the entire thread.

BTW, did you ever find the right one? try this (kinda local to me)
      https://rochester.craigslist.org/for...121693861.html
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post

Well, you suspect wrong, very very wrong.
        notice in post #11 stated the chucks cannot SWAP.
        notice post #13, they are threaded,
        notice post #16, with links and pictures.
        I have already turned backplate for 5c, I get the idea,
        I have already turned my own ER32 threaded chuck, I get the idea,
        YOU are very wrong, thank you for your input.
        Well, no, Ringo. Scroll back and re-read. I'll wait.

You asked a question about 4.5MT. I took time out of my day to remove chuck from my lathe, take pics, pass along. (see Posts 2+)

I responded to your questions about 4.5MT

You said your chuck was threaded.

Given your seeming inexperience, I suggested you check if there is a backplate, as threaded does not mean either backplate or integral.

You insisted that it is "threaded", which, again does not say whether backplate or intergral.

You again say the chuck is threaded.

Again, threaded does not define whether backplate or integral. I suppose once you upgrade you'll learn this.

No point in detailing the rest, as clear I'm not the problem here. Had you included pics of your chucks, my question would have been answered. But you didn't, are seemingly ignorant of the difference between integral spindle mounts and backplates (or at least capable of using the proper terms), and I'm not a mind-reader. Had I realized where this was headed, wouldn't have taken the time to help. Back on Post 2.

Something bothering you, or is this normal for you?

If this is normal, I'll make note not to help you again.
        Last edited by AWS; 05-29-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

A lot happened this week regarding the OP.
          The atlas/craftsman lathe is sold and gone. A guy drove down from N. Carolina to get it, he was pleased.
          I watched 3 different lathes go to auction in mississippi from a vocational school.
          One was a Harrison/Clausing M300, D1-x chuck, manual speed change, metric/imperial, noted as not running needs repair. it is a 9 hour drive and I would need to hire a rigger to help load it.
          it sold for $1,663, no extra tooling
          Another was a old South Bend, long bed, turret carriage, needs repair, not running, same 9 hour drive, sold for about $1500, no extra tooling.
          Another was a old Clausing/Colchester round head 13", L0 mount, needs repair, not working, 9 hour drive, sold for $1,883.00, no extra tooling.

A guy 3 hours away offered me a L00 jacobs flex rubber collet chuck for $250, and a pair of L0 back plates for $150.

Then there is still the cheap & dusty used machinery dealer 3 hours away, he has a Clausing 5913, L00 mount, for $1500 and he will let me turn it on and check it out. He'll load it for me too.

Then there is a fellow 9 hours away with a Clausing/Colchester round head, long bed, (L0 mount?) and he has interest in a smaller machine, I offered to swap out the little Logan, and he has not said no, not said yes. My offer was that my Logan is tooled up quite well where his bigger machine is not, and that was my bartering point. Still waiting for these results.

Comment

Wouldn't worry about the driving too much -- I pretty much plan on having to drive for anything decent. My lathe was about 6 or 7 hrs each way. There's plenty of machines around, but a lot of it is just junk at inflated prices. That guy with the 5913 sounds like a good deal even if you have to spend another grand to tool it up.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              Wouldn't worry about the driving too much -- I pretty much plan on having to drive for anything decent. My lathe was about 6 or 7 hrs each way. There's plenty of machines around, but a lot of it is just junk at inflated prices. That guy with the 5913 sounds like a good deal even if you have to spend another grand to tool it up.
              Thats kind of what I was thinking, because I could see it run, and, that would let me sell the Logan for tooling.
              The driving distance does make a difference, there is gas involved, hotel bill if it is not close by, it all adds into the price.

also this week, I scoured the internet and found the drawings for the infamous 4-1/2MT to 5C collet adapter, and the clausing L00 nose protector.
              as well, if I got the drawing for that 4-1/2MT then I also can turn that to 3MT, 2MT, dead center, or whatever....
              Last edited by Ringo; 05-30-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Thats kind of what I was thinking, because I could see it run, and, that would let me sell the Logan for tooling.
                The driving distance does make a difference, there is gas involved, hotel bill if it is not close by, it all adds into the price.

also this week, I scoured the internet and found the drawings for the infamous 4-1/2MT to 5C collet adapter, and the clausing L00 nose protector.
                as well, if I got the drawing for that 4-1/2MT then I also can turn that to 3MT, 2MT, dead center, or whatever....
                Yeah, I drove it all one shot and it was a LONG day.... boy did I sleep good that night.
                I found most guys are pretty honest if they know you are having to drive a long ways.
                I thought you already had the Logan sold? Well that changes the picture. For sure you could sell that for the Clausing tooling.
                Good deal on getting the drawings!

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Yeah, I drove it all one shot and it was a LONG day.... boy did I sleep good that night.
                  I found most guys are pretty honest if they know you are having to drive a long ways.
                  I thought you already had the Logan sold? Well that changes the picture. For sure you could sell that for the Clausing tooling.
                  Good deal on getting the drawings!
                  The Logan has never been actually for sale, the Atlas, yes. the atlas is sold and gone.
                  The Logan is the one I started the heavy lathe stand for, and that is still underway. (in case any heavier lathe deal falls through)
                  The heavy lathe stand will serve 1 or 2 purposes:
                  either make the little logan a better machine of itself, or, make it more attractive to someone to barter for a bigger machine, it will transport better this way as well.

Comment

called to go get the clausing 5913, and was informed it is already sold.

Comment

called to go get the clausing 5913, and was informed it is already sold.
                      aaaahhhhhh crap I hate when that happens

Comment

Grizzly sells the adapter for 4-1/2mt to MT3

i think I paid @75.00 for mine. A few people sell them on EBay for @120.00.

I really like my Clausing. I have the 5903.....single phase with 24” bed.

biggest thing is to make sure the Variable Speed sheave isn’t damaged. That’s an expensive problem.

Comment

I searched Grizzly for that, could not find it.

Comment

Did a search, was the first link that came up.

Would link, but confirming it’s there seems enough help, all things considered.

Comment

I have bought 2 of these 4.5 to 3MT adapters from Grizzly. Second one about a year ago for bore out for a 5C adapter - seems like it was under $50 + shipping. I've posted the Grizzly P/N somewhere on this forum (or possibly on PM) in the past - same user name on both forums.

Clausing flame hardened prismatic lathe ways can look "like new" but but if your fingernail can catch on the side to top surface corner near the headstock but not near the RH end of the lathe, the ways are worn. I learned this the hard way.

The vari-drive pulley (shaft) has an epoxy coating on it and the mating pulley has a pressed in bushing. My pulleys were so worn that there was no indication of ever having the coating and very little of the bushing remained. I built up the damaged keyway and the worn shaft with brazing and milled a new keyway on the opposite side of the shaft. I made my own bushing using a sample of Rulon (plastic bearing material) and it rides directly on the shaft without any coating.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                              Metro Detroit

Comment

Working...
                              X