Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about 8620 hot rolled

What the deal with 8620 hot rolled?
    When I shop for material (steel round) online, I see 8620 hot rolled as the cheapest alternative to cast iron or 1018.
    I am a lowly home shop (garage) kind of guy and generally use whatever unknownium steel I can heist from any fab shop drop cuts.
    I am at the point where I want to make more tooling for myself and desire something better known and quality than common soft unknownium.
    A lot of tooling is made of cast iron, and that is not cheap to just go out and purchase.
    1018 is so common that the price is low, but it is low carbon (soft), not really used in tooling. not known for good finish
    Enter 8620 hot rolled. it is a higher alloy, it is cheap (comparatively), so why should I NOT consider that?
    Is it particularly difficult to turn? to get a good finish? to finish on a dimension in the home shop?

If 8620HR really is a high alloy, then why is it cheap to purchase?
    is there hidden gremlins inside it?

It's pretty popular alloy considering it's versatility. It will do everything 4140 will for fabricated assemblies, but features better weldability. It machines up nicer than 4140 and usually costs a bit less. If you have carburizing capability you can also produce casehardened parts with a high surface hardness, but a soft core.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

No hidden gremlins that I know of, its for sure better than the A36 fab shop drops that I use. 8620 turns nicer I think. And of course its meant for case hardening. The Big Three automakers buy so much of it the price is rock bottom. Last couple decades GMC upped their game on the rear axle gears and now they use 9310. Ever tried to cut a ring gear in the lathe? Its like glass hard. But the turn like butter before they harden them. 8620 is the original "gear" steel.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Nickle chromium alloy steel vs simple carbon steel.

McMaster Carr claims 8620 can be hardened to C60 by heat treating: https://www.mcmaster.com/8620-steel-rods That was a surprise to me.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

After the comment about cheapest I decided to check a couple sources. Midwest has cold finished cheaper than hot rolled (surprise). However actual heat treatable simple carbon steel (1045) is cheaper than 8620 atleast at Midwest, and 1018 cold rolled is cheaper than 1045.

The 1045 was TGP no less.
          Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-26-2020, 10:08 PM.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
            After the comment about cheapest I decided to check a couple sources. Midwest has cold finished cheaper than hot rolled (surprise). However actual heat treatable simple carbon steel (1045) is cheaper than 8620 atleast at Midwest, and 1018 cold rolled is cheaper than 1045.

The 1045 was TGP no less.
            Well, dayum,,,your source for TGP beats my source for 8620 hot rolled.

Alright then, tell me about the difference between 1144 stressproff and other alloys. They say 1144 is a good grade steel, easily machineable, doesnt warp.
            How does those properties compare to 1045TGP or 8620? (for the home shop)
            Notice I put in the qualifier home shop environment and a step up in grade from 1018.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post

Well, dayum,,,your source for TGP beats my source for 8620 hot rolled.

Alright then, tell me about the difference between 1144 stressproff and other alloys. They say 1144 is a good grade steel, easily machineable, doesnt warp.
              How does those properties compare to 1045TGP or 8620? (for the home shop)
              Notice I put in the qualifier home shop environment and a step up in grade from 1018.
              Can I get a link for the Midwest? and do they ship?

Comment

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...6&secondary=74

Comment

Thanks! probably save myself a bunch of $$$

Comment

1144 is a very easily machinable and heat treatable steel but it doesn't weld very well due to a high percentage of sulfur. Stress proof is a trade name.

Comment

1045 is OK, but it seems to work harden like original sin. At least the pieces I had that were supposed to be 1045 did work harden like crazy, to where carbide would not cut them.

The 8620 sounds interesting.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

look at this, 8620 round bar:

​​​​​​https://www.speedymetals.com/p-3759-...ot-rolled.aspx

Comment

Finally. Something Speedy metals is actually competitive on. LOL. 8620 hot rolled. I notice their cold finished was quite a bit more.

Comment

What other choices is there for a home shop that wants something better than cast or 1018, no heat treatment, no welding??
                            8620? 4140? 1045? what else?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                              What other choices is there for a home shop that wants something better than cast or 1018, no heat treatment, no welding??
                              8620? 4140? 1045? what else?
                              12L14, 41L40, 1215 are all free machining grades , no welding, but they do silver solder beautifully.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X