Forming an Eccentric Head on a Capscrew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forming an Eccentric Head on a Capscrew

Just saw Chris, aka Clickspring's video on the the subject. I've turned the heads eccentric on more than a few, but the idea of soft soldering a ring on the head to increase the diameter is a neat trick-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaemIFvl3-0
    I just need one more tool,just one!

That pretty cool,thanks for sharing I've never silver soldered will have to try that.

Comment

Socket head capscrews are usually heat treated to maximise the yield strength. I wonder if the silver soldering temperatures will have any material effect on the heat treatment? Just idle curiosity.......

Comment

I think it was soft soldered, not actually silver soldered. Silver soldering would surely weaken the screw.

Comment

Silver soldering temps would, which is possibly why he soft soldered them.

Comment

In the video he does not say what type of solder was used, but I see that he clarified the soft solder in a reply to a comment. I just assumed silver solder - must learn to pay attention!

Comment

The silvery parts did not turn black or glow a dull red. So a sure sign that it was not siliver soldering.

He's making up some of the eccentric based low profile table clamps I bet.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I'm 100% certain it is soft solder

Comment

You can put a shim on one jaw of a 3 jaw and turn the head.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    That is exactly what he did.
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      I think it was soft soldered, not actually silver soldered. Silver soldering would surely weaken the screw.
                      Would be easier if everyone referred to hard soldering with silver alloy as (silver) brazing

"silver solder" means often tin-silver soft solder.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Would be easier if everyone referred to hard soldering with silver alloy as (silver) brazing
                        That's exactly what I've always thought! Let's you and me start a movement right now.
                        It's a more accurate term anyway.

Come on everybody, join in. We can make the world a better place.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

See what happens when you suddenly shut-out 30+% of the members using IE. You get threads like this.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            See what happens when you suddenly shut-out 30+% of the members using IE. You get threads like this.
                            Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              Yes you can, I wonder though if used the mandrel for doing multiples and maintaining timing between the thread and eccentric?

Comment

Working...
                              X