Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erich
    replied
    Jaysin, was a real talent. unfortunately he passed away about a year after he posted that switch project.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Now, there is an idea. I like it. If I can not find a controllable register, I just may do it. I'm going to search for it.

I did find it.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...441#post150441

Now THAT is a cool contrivance!

-js

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Now, there is an idea. I like it. If I can not find a controllable register, I just may do it. I'm going to search for it.

I did find it.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...441#post150441

Originally posted by Erich View Post
    On another metal fab forum. Might have been Offroad Fabrication Network. There was a guy who made a remote door light switch rig. It was all metal and very steampunk looking.
    The lever was near the front door and the linkage and rocker arms went up the wall along the ceiling and down to an existing light switch on an adjacent wall. Actuating the lever cause the existing switch to change state. The workmanship was outstanding and it really became a focal point of art in his house. You could do the same remote type of linkage.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-29-2020, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Reggie,

Ah, the old battle of the stat. I know that trick and I have used it in offices where the temperature had to be kept in a certain range for the equipment. Those locked, cover boxes that thermostats are often locked in are of no use as a bobby pin or other thin object can be inserted in the slots. The good old boys and gals quickly learn that. So I have installed secret thermostats in the return air duct. The original ones were left in their original position for all to play with. The real thermostat kept the area at the correct temperature.

But that is not going to work with my wife. If it does not become arctic cold within a minute or two when she drops the thermostat down to the lowest setting, I will have to call the AC guys in and pay the bill for the service call. She will have her arctic blast, one way or another. I just need to control my office temperature.

And I have a small, electric blanket under my desk. My legs just can't take it at my age. I believe I still have some thermal underwear that I bought when I was in the Army. Frankly, it was so good that I could not even wear it even in a Maryland January with several feet of snow and a howling north wind. But I may need to break it out for my south Texas house - in summer.

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Install a second concealed thermostat in your office in series with "Hers". Then she can no longer request cooling unless yours also does.
    Or...wear a coat or thermal underwear while in the house.

Leave a comment:

• Erich
    replied
    On another metal fab forum. Might have been Offroad Fabrication Network. There was a guy who made a remote door light switch rig. It was all metal and very steampunk looking.
    The lever was near the front door and the linkage and rocker arms went up the wall along the ceiling and down to an existing light switch on an adjacent wall. Actuating the lever cause the existing switch to change state. The workmanship was outstanding and it really became a focal point of art in his house. You could do the same remote type of linkage.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Install a second concealed thermostat in your office in series with "Hers". Then she can no longer request cooling unless yours also does.
    Or...wear a coat or thermal underwear while in the house.

Leave a comment:

• deltap
    replied
    Look in the Hart & Cooley catalog. They have round ones that adjust by rotating a center knob to adjust a butterfly valve. A notched pvc pipe could work as an extension to turn the adjustment knob. Not automation but it won't go to h after the first year.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Floor register? There are no floor registers here. They are all in the ceiling. I don't think I can lay a mat over them and expect it to stay. At least not without spinning the earth a lot faster.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    An easy way to seal off a common floor register is simply lay a rubber back floor mat over it. Provided there isn't enough airflow to levitate the mat she'll get all the cooling air where she is and you don't get any in your "zone".

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    I wonder if the vent mechanism would allow for something like a pull chain in a loop? Taking the simplest approach...Yeah I know about cheap vents... mine are in the floor. I just got done ripping all the little vanes out of them, didn't work anyways.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 05-28-2020, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Oh so much truth here.

But we don't fight. She is in the room with the thermostat. I am not.

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    I've observed that this is another of God's cruel jokes. When we are young, the man is running hot and the woman is always cold. Then, at that certain time, the woman starts running hot and the man, having lost muscle mass and slowed metabolically, is now cold. Going through the second phase right now, but we have no A/C to fight over.

I went through a brief period of hot flashes (!) a couple of years ago. It's no joke!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program......

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    I thought of that, but my project list is already longer than my expected life. So I am hoping for a ready made device. And I added one more element, photo cells and rechargable batteries for power. But no temperature sensor, that was going to be my job.

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Project! Micro-controller, temperature sensor, linear actuator! Go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That looks neat. I guess my Google foo was not up to snuff. It helps to know what words to include.

Only thing I do not like is the batteries. But there was a reference to 24 VAC power. I need to do another search.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    "Smart" air vent:
    https://www.amazon.com/Flair-Compati...dp/B07TKHXX8S/

Or Google "smart vent" or "motorized air duct damper 4 x 10"

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    These: https://www.frostking.com/products/p...ic-vent-covers

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Two word solution: Refrigerator magnets...

Leave a comment:

• mickeyf
    replied
    simply lay a rubber back floor mat over it.
    Wee gravity issue in this case. "Ceiling register." Serious levitation is exactly what is needed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X