DP "Mill Cap"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP "Mill Cap"?

My Wilton 20" drill press came to me with, what I've learned, is a, "mill cap". It screws on to the end of the quill and the manual/parts list calls the part out as being "optional". I've had the DP for years and never knew what this was. I can't run it with my mt3 arbor that's on my drill chuck because it protrudes too far from the end of the quill and the Mt taper won't seat so the chuck just falls out. Can anyone tell me what a "mill cap" is?
    BTW the instruction /parts manual has several pages dedicated to milling with this DP and this surprised me. I suppose some light milling might be possible using the Mt taper but there is no draw bar etc.
    Thanks

Only thing I can think of is that the "cap" is used to retain tools in the spindle. It screws to and turns with the
    spindle. Tools with a matching shoulder can be held in place this way. We have an Arboga EM825 and the
    spindle is configured this way. Does your cap turn with the spindle or is it part of the quill?
    Keith

Comment

This issue you have with the MT3 taper seems a bit off. Could it be that the taper is actually a B&S or something else? Or is the little tang on the end touching something it should not touch and that is preventing the MT arbor from properly locking?

As for this cap if it is a nose cap of some form that aids with retaining the tapered arbor could it be a holding cap to allow one to do some limited (very limited) milling?

Pictures please?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Yes the cap spins with the spindle.

Sorry, I thought I included a picture with my OP Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200531_114037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.39 MB ID:	1878788Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200531_114105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1878789
        Last edited by challenger; 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

that looks like it's there to a) force chucks/ tapers out of the spindle and maybe b) to allow tooling to be positively retained in the spindle. I have something similar on my Walker Turner, although that has a male JT33 which is a bit different to yours.

Comment

It definitely isn't for removing the MT3 taper from the spindle. There is a slot in the side of the spindle for a drift to remove the taper.

Comment

If it could work with tooling to positively hold it in place, then the lack of a drawbar would not make milling risky. There may be Morse taper shanks with a flange that the cap fits.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                It definitely isn't for removing the MT3 taper from the spindle. There is a slot in the side of the spindle for a drift to remove the taper.
                then choose b)

Comment

I believe your "mill cap" is used to retain a #3 Morse collet. The collet then would hold an end mill. And you could thus do some light milling operations.

Do you have any #3 Morse collets?

What is the inside diameter of the cap? Not the threaded part but the part that would bear against the collet? #3 Morse has a large diameter of 0.9380. A retaining ring would need to have a significantly smaller diameter.
                  Last edited by john hobdeclipe; 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

No I don't have any Morse #3 collects. I have a mill so I don't see any reason to mill with a drill press.

Comment

then why the hell do you bother asking?

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                        then why the hell do you bother asking?
                        WTF? Are you having a bad day?
                        Don't fuggin stray from your lane man. Get a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

WTF? Are you having a bad day?
                          Don't fuggin stray from your lane man. Get a grip.
                          Step back, reread the thread. No dog in this race, you’re in the wrong, Challenger.

Comment

If I took a post the wrong way I apologize.

Comment

Yeah, the pictures help. I totally misunderstood the issue with my reply above.

That's almost certainly intended to be used with MT3 collets. It could work with some morse shank drills too. But not the larger sizes.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X