X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LKeithR
    replied
    Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
    ...A retaining ring would need to have a significantly smaller diameter...
    On the Arboga drills they use a slotted washer that fits inside the "cap" or nut. You slide it on to the tool and tighten
    the nut to lock it in place. If you didn't have a slot the only way the washer would work was it it was captive to the tool.
    The slot allows it to be removed. I think they make washers with different size slots to accomadate different tools...

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Yeah, the pictures help. I totally misunderstood the issue with my reply above.

That's almost certainly intended to be used with MT3 collets. It could work with some morse shank drills too. But not the larger sizes.

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    If I took a post the wrong way I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    Originally posted by challenger View Post

WTF? Are you having a bad day?
    Don't fuggin stray from your lane man. Get a grip.
    Step back, reread the thread. No dog in this race, you’re in the wrong, Challenger.

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    then why the hell do you bother asking?
    WTF? Are you having a bad day?
    Don't fuggin stray from your lane man. Get a grip.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    then why the hell do you bother asking?

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    No I don't have any Morse #3 collects. I have a mill so I don't see any reason to mill with a drill press.

Leave a comment:

• john hobdeclipe
    replied
    I believe your "mill cap" is used to retain a #3 Morse collet. The collet then would hold an end mill. And you could thus do some light milling operations.

Do you have any #3 Morse collets?

What is the inside diameter of the cap? Not the threaded part but the part that would bear against the collet? #3 Morse has a large diameter of 0.9380. A retaining ring would need to have a significantly smaller diameter.
    Last edited by john hobdeclipe; 06-02-2020, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by challenger View Post
    It definitely isn't for removing the MT3 taper from the spindle. There is a slot in the side of the spindle for a drift to remove the taper.
    then choose b)

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    If it could work with tooling to positively hold it in place, then the lack of a drawbar would not make milling risky. There may be Morse taper shanks with a flange that the cap fits.

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    It definitely isn't for removing the MT3 taper from the spindle. There is a slot in the side of the spindle for a drift to remove the taper.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    that looks like it's there to a) force chucks/ tapers out of the spindle and maybe b) to allow tooling to be positively retained in the spindle. I have something similar on my Walker Turner, although that has a male JT33 which is a bit different to yours.

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    Yes the cap spins with the spindle.

Sorry, I thought I included a picture with my OP Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200531_114037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.39 MB ID:	1878788Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200531_114105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1878789
    Last edited by challenger; 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    This issue you have with the MT3 taper seems a bit off. Could it be that the taper is actually a B&S or something else? Or is the little tang on the end touching something it should not touch and that is preventing the MT arbor from properly locking?

As for this cap if it is a nose cap of some form that aids with retaining the tapered arbor could it be a holding cap to allow one to do some limited (very limited) milling?

Pictures please?

Leave a comment:

• LKeithR
    replied
    Only thing I can think of is that the "cap" is used to retain tools in the spindle. It screws to and turns with the
    spindle. Tools with a matching shoulder can be held in place this way. We have an Arboga EM825 and the
    spindle is configured this way. Does your cap turn with the spindle or is it part of the quill?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X