No announcement yet.

nylon swarf control birdsnest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if there is any use for such shredded plastic swarf material? Perhaps stuffed into cloth bags for pillows or insulation bats? Some plastics could be melted down and re-used as tool handle coatings, file handles, and such, but I don't think nylon is very good for that.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I would not like UHMW swarf grabbing myself balls, it sounds terrible, loved the bandsaw cut idea, elegant solution, but may be handy on stringy steel one day
      mark
      ( I use a cheap dust extractor with a 4 inch pipe to a wide slot nozzle these days, nylon is hygroscopic so oven dry makes sense, the last 6.6 job I had was rollers out of 6” bar stock, 18” long, somthing to do with boats, my shop was like Santa’s grotto
      mark

Comment

Band sawing the slots is good. We accomplish the same thing n the CNC lathe by programming short pauses in the cut to break the swarf string.

The vacuum idea works well on pvc, not so well on nylon because the swarf is too stiff to be consistently sucked in.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
          On my previous job we had seal lathes and they had vacuum nozzles with a chopper inside.
          Did the seals put up a fight while trying to get them between centers?

Comment

A few years back I was regularly producing a product that had me turning acetal to size. That strand was a headache - making sure it fed into the vac hose and did not get bunched up. What made it worse is the fixture was built to fit a friend's lathe, so I would use his small vac. Sometimes I would be in the middle of the long cut and see the strand stop feeding, so I would furiously start tapping the hose. The DOC was only .037", but the ribbon was surprisingly tough. I did not want to interrupt the cut because I was getting a gorgeous finish on the acetal and that always impressed the customer.

Anyway, during these boring cuts I would try and think of uses for that ribbon, and how I might devise a mechanism to spool it. Most elegant in my mind was something that purely relied upon the air to rotate the spool and tension the ribbon. Maybe a spool with vanes, inside the vacuum canister.

Anyway, during those boring cuts I also wondered how much ribbon there was. I calculated that it was 50' of material for every inch of feed on the lathe, so 600 feet for every foot cut. I'd produce miles of that ribbon in a session, hence the interest in spooling it up for some kind of re-use.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Three saw cuts seemed to work well plus the shop vac. Made a sure nightmare job very manageable.

I was not aware of drying nylon before machining. In this case the as-molded, as-received material properties and part size are important so I would not want to do that.

Biggest problem is I got real tired of using the hand wheel collet closer. I need a lever action.

Comment

Working...
              X