No announcement yet.

OT - Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had staples in my second knee, but they were much closer together than PS tech Paul's staples. The incision was much shorter in that leg, 5" as it was a partial replacement, the inner side. I was given a special pair of pliers sealed and sterile and the nice nurse at the local doctors surgery took them out after ten days. She removed alternate staples for a start, just in case the wound opened up, and there was minimum discomfort. She told me to leave it uncovered, as it would heal up faster. The pliers got put in the bin before I could beg them off her. There was no infection in the second knee, unlike the first, which had MRSA in one of the stitch wounds. That was monitored closely, but fortunately healed up naturally in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I had my left knee com[pletely replaced in 2016, to me the pain was easily managed. I dislike taking pain medication, so instead of the two pills every 4 hours, I only took one at night when I went to bed. ( It was bad enough that the doctor Looked at my Xrays, looked at me, looked at the Xrays, then got up and examined my knee, then said "And you walked in here?")
      One advantage is that the doctor said that my right knee was going to need replacement in the future because of arthritis, but since the surgery on my left it hasn't given me any trouble.
      Only drawback I've had is that it hurts if I try to kneel down to work on something low, that and I've always been slightly bowlegged, when they replaced the knee, they straightened out the leg, so now I have to use a lift in my right boot.
      I'm not one that likes doctors, so was nervous, but it worked great.

Comment

One side affect that I was warned about was the possibility of getting itchy knees and lower legs, I was one of the unlucky ones, but it is worth it to be able to walk better and with very little discomfort. I get no pain from the full knee replacement leg in bed, but the partial can hurt quite a lot, mostly on the new side, not the old.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
          I can never manage more than little chunks of 20-30 minutes sleep the rest of the night.
          That gets old fast.
          Best of luck that it heals up and gets feeling better soon.

Comment

So how many of you got 3D printed joints? Worldwide they claim 60% of joints are now 3D printed.

Comment

Working...
            X