OT: Weaver Auto Crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Weaver Auto Crane

I seen some pics of these old Weaver Auto Cranes for Tow Truck purposes in 1920-1940 era or later and was curious if anyone had used one of these.I bet they would be Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2905.PNG
Views:	310
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1878737 arm wrestling Champ if ran one of these for very long.

I grew up close by a scrap yard, wonderful, they had a crane like that about 5 times bigger, there was a winding handle to work it, all riveted and cast complete with rust, I liked the shape of it, suppose they had a better sense of proportion and function then, modern stuff is all straight lines and corners, cheaper I suppose
    nice pic
    mark

Comment

A friend of mine, a foreign auto mechanic, now deceased had an imaginative and creative mind. Not all the things he came up with actually came into being though some surprising things actually did. In any case, on of the things he proposed always tickled my imagination. He suggested a smaller tow vehicle for small foreign cars. It would be a Jaguar 3.4 or 3.8 sedan chopped to remove the back seat and bring the rear window forward for a two seat vehicle. This would leave room from the trunk and former back seat for a little crane just like that which would rather match the 1930's and 40's design ideas in the car. If I had unlimited resources ...
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I immediately think of how I could mount it on the 3pt hitch of my New Holland tractor.
        Hmmmmm…….

Pretty cool. Looks like bent T-bar and flat iron.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Several years back I bought an "Auto Crane" made in Tulsa, Oklahoma fully intending to mount it on a flat deck which I intended to install "someday" on a 1980 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 I had. Never got around to doing either and I no longer have the truck...but I still have the crane. It looks very similar to the Senior model of these but in addition to the electric winch it also has electric power rotation which the Backsaver models in the link don't have. Only 3/16" cable on it (but it has factory snatch block on it also to double up the line) so I figured it would be handy for a lot of the stuff that's way too heavy to lift by hand.

Comment

I once built an all aluminum crane that mounted to a box body cargo truck used for oil well logging. It was used to pick up a gamma ray source from a lead casket and lower it down a well hole several thousand feet on a cable with wires up the center connecting to the gamma ray detector above. I built two for the same company, along with special clamps to secure the detectors inside the truck while bouncing over rough terrain. At about $50G each in a rack of 4 they really didn't want them coming loose!

Comment

We have one behind the shop (we do towing and recovery) that the boss has a fantasy of shining up and putting in the back of a Model A pickup he has. Never used it, but it has double reduction gearing on the winch and with the pulley hook I'd bet it isn't too hard to crank.......... Ya just gotta crank it, a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
                We have one behind the shop (we do towing and recovery) that the boss has a fantasy of shining up and putting in the back of a Model A pickup he has. Never used it, but it has double reduction gearing on the winch and with the pulley hook I'd bet it isn't too hard to crank.......... Ya just gotta crank it, a lot.
                I have a 1939 International cab&chassis that would be cool to make a tow truck out of,these old Auto Crane really perked my interest

Comment

Working...
                X