Got Bored, Made a Boring Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Bored, Made a Boring Head

Far too many bloody times have i had a job crop up that required a weird sized hole that a boring head couldve done in seconds, but i didnt own a boring head. This curse shall torment me no longer! Briefly considered buying one, but none of the commercial options i found really fit my needs. Ive got a small mill, limited Z height to begin with, so once you start adding up arbors and the 2-3 inches of the boring head itself and the boring bars, well, you run out of room for the workpiece pretty fast. I dont need 5+ inch hole capabilities or 1/2" boring bars or anything, i just need something compact that gets the job done.

That in mind, i stumbled across these plans for a small boring head, sized for a Taig mill. Jackpot! Downloaded the blueprints, drew them up in Fusion so id have a 3d model to work off of, made a few changes to suit my machine better, then sent it on over to the 3d printer:

And people still think machining is supposed to be difficult....

Yeah, no, im not actually that stupid. Heres the real one:

I already a few MT3-JT2 arbors hanging around, started off by recutting the JT2 end over to a 5/8-11 thread to mount the boring head on. First adventure single-point threading, not a fun time for that particular thread pitch... Anyways, bodys made from 4140ht, some brass in there for things like the gibs, takes 3/8" shank tooling. For the size of work i do, thats more than large enough. No fancy adjustment dial, just a screw and a dial indicator to tell me how much the heads moving. I dont have the capability to engrave a dial and this gets the job done. Leadscrew is a #6-40 cap screw, makes for pretty fine adjustments.

Dimensions are 1-3/4" tall, 1-1/2" diameter. Overall stickout is about the same as an ER32 collet chuck, without the boring bar. Pretty compact, should get the job done well. Course i have no projects that need holes bored right now, but least now im prepared! Next up is a slitting saw arbor i dont have much of a use for, but i did buy too much of the 4140 and gotta use it somehow

Outstanding!!!

Comment

If you have the ability to make a boring head that looks that good, making an engraved dial should be pretty easy for you. Nice looking tool!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
          If you have the ability to make a boring head that looks that good, making an engraved dial should be pretty easy for you. Nice looking tool!
          Never let the glitz fool you. Only thing im a master of is shining s***. Far as the dial goes, its not actually skill thats the roadblock, more logistics. I dont actually own any indexing equipment, so any engravings would be cosmetic at best. Im sure i could knock something together, but i couldnt talk myself into seeing a point when this works well enough. I dont trust engraved markings anyways since they rely on the pitch of whatever is serving as a leadscrew to be correct. Error might be minimal, but you dont get error if you measure directly

Course now that ive posted the pictures im realizing i shouldve done something about the tool marks on the relief cuts on the bottom section of the head. Oh well

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention in the original post, the ugly phillips head screw is not the final solution. Funnily enough, i actually ordered some nice 8-32 alloy steel cup point set screws, perfect for holding tools in place. Then i managed to tap the holes to 10-24 without realizing. No idea how the f*** i accidentally did that, given that i drilled for 8-32 and ran a cheap tap through pre-hard 4140...

Comment

that is really nice.
              what is there to gain if you modified a allen wrench to hold the dial, the dial affixed to the allen wrench to give you a reference and an indicator for fine tuning?

Comment

Many years ago I made one to the George Thomas design. Cheated on the dial and bought one from Sherline that is used on their boring head - perfect for a 40TPI screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB030005.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1878763

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                  that is really nice.
                  what is there to gain if you modified a allen wrench to hold the dial, the dial affixed to the allen wrench to give you a reference and an indicator for fine tuning?
                  Nothing, so far as i can see. Ill already have a dial indicator against the slide to tell me how much its moving. I suppose a dial on the wrench would help with coarse adjustments, but id still have the indicator on hand for the final adjustment anyways, so i cant see it speeding the process up all too much

Originally posted by ammcoman2 View Post
                  Many years ago I made one to the George Thomas design. Cheated on the dial and bought one from Sherline that is used on their boring head - perfect for a 40TPI screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB030005.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1878763

Geoff
                  ...well crap, ,where were you a week ago when i was drawing the plans with that? If i knew it couldve been that easy, i mightve worked it into the design. I mean, probably not since im really lazy, but still

Comment

Wow! Really nice. But did you cut those flanks with a chisel or what? Is that from tool chatter? I'm cheap and lazy. I bought a 2" and 3" from Shars.

Comment

Geoff-
                      Super excellent !

EpicFail-
                      Super nice job as well.

I have 2 Flynn boring heads of 6" diameter that take 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" bars respectivly.
                      My latest boring head, Summit brand, is 20" and takes a 2" bar.
                      Use it on the HBM.

--Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                        Wow! Really nice. But did you cut those flanks with a chisel or what? Is that from tool chatter? I'm cheap and lazy. I bought a 2" and 3" from Shars.
                        Its actually not nearly as bad in real life as the photo makes it look, you can blame bright, raking lights on a shiny surface for that. Granted there is a bit of chatter on there, but not even enough to really feel. Couldve been better of course, but ill freely admit that side cutting 1/2" deep with a 1/4" end mill is right at the edge of my little mini mills capabilities, even at a minimal stepover. Gotta live with a bit of chatter sometimes, shouldve heard the thing cutting the dovetails, now THAT was an adventure...

Knew i forgot to do something, got the CAD file for anybody who stumbles across this in the future and wants to build their own: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool...ead-epicfail48

Comment

a good project - well done!
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Wow that came out nice! I gotta try that someday... With 40 TPI, you only need 25 divisions

Comment

Great job. Nice looking tool that will serve you many years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X