No announcement yet.

Treasure I drug home yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With apologies to the ghosts of alt.syntax (anyone else remember Usenet?)
    .... Doozer is generally correct, but Dis aint da linguistics forum....
    ... also, I seem to recall this guy has the magic ability to drag home huge toys without ticking off his lady, and thats a skill I wouldn't mind learning!
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      We don't insult each other here, we only insult mini-lathes.
      Your mother was a mini-lathe, and your father smelled of tapmatic!

Does that work?
      Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by greenie View Post
        I find the use of the word DRUG in that context, just proves that the user is "of extremely low intelligence", like born into the very shallow end of the gene pool and still dog paddling around it.

If you can use a dictionary, the word DRUG has got nothing at all to do with bringing anything home.

It appears that the persons who use it in that context, couldn't find their ar$e from their elbow.

https://www.britannica.com/search?query=drug&page=1

That's funny, I was in a Hardware Store a few months back and this Blowhard was bousting about all the Degrees his 3 sons had and how any individual with out these qualifications would be a absolute loser and never amount to anything.I nearly laughed out load as I've redesigned so much agricultural equipment over the years and designed some from the ground up also.

Comment

you got to wonder how he deals with bracket racing: - "run what ya brung"

Comment

dem is good trucks, nice catch.
            san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

Does that apply to spelling too?
              Try speech, positively/negatively, ghetto. ...I'm not sure about educted. I'll have to confess, it's a word I don't know.

Actually, the verbiage you use is more of a reflection of your surroundings during your formative years. Though subsequent education may later teach you correct usage, old habits are hard to beak, and may have no bearing on your education.
              I think it's educed, rather than educted, though educt is a word:
              verb (used with object), e·duced, e·duc·ing.

to draw forth or bring out, as something potential or latent; elicit; develop.
              to infer or deduce.

has a chemistry meaning too, but I didn't really understand that one.

Comment

I can speak but spelling is sometimes a challenge.
                Pobody's nerfect.

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Whether you refuse to believe it or not, the verbiage that you use is a direct reflection of your education.
                  Educted people do not speak poorly on purpose.
                  People who speak poorly dismiss this fact, because they are the very people who are speaking poorly.
                  Fact is that using good speach and grammar reflect positivly on the individual.
                  Fact also is that using poor speach and grammar reflects negativly on the individual.
                  If you choose to use geto speak or hillbilly speak, you will not be taken seriously.
                  Just a fact of society. That is always been how it has been.
                  But hey, talk however you want. I appreciate it.
                  It just let's me know who I am dealing with.

-Doozer
                  If I had to give an example of poor writing, spelling, grammar, and composition skills, the quoted text above would certainly be a good one.

Spelling is one of the "markers" for education. The structure of speech or writing is another one, which reveals thought processes and the ability, or inability, to form logical arguments.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Everyone is discussing grammar but I miss the usual discussion about how unsafe it is to drive such an old truck without the modern safety features and all

That is usually where a discussion derails
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Gee whizz, all the sharp barbs going back and forth here,,,,,,,,whats up?
                      What difference does grammar have to do with man cave toys??
                      'Drug home a Mack truck' is very much a man cave thing,,,,,,, as compared to,,,,,,,,, "Honey, do you mind if I buy a truck??"

Comment

Looks like it has some potential. Those old Mack R models are a pretty reliable truck if they've had any regular service at all an haven't been abused.
                        What's the power-train consist of, 325 Maxidyne and a 5 speed? not quite enough gears but those old 325 Maxidynes had a torque as flat as anything in Kansas.
                        Are the hydraulics and rear axles in good shape, tires?
                        Hope she doesn't need more than just some TLC, getting into the internals gets pricey real quick.
                        Looks like a fun project, I hope it's going to be a fun ride for ya all the way.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by greenie View Post
                          I find the use of the word DRUG in that context, just proves that the user is "of extremely low intelligence", like born into the very shallow end of the gene pool and still dog paddling around it.

If you can use a dictionary, the word DRUG has got nothing at all to do with bringing anything home.

It appears that the persons who use it in that context, couldn't find their ar$e from their elbow.

https://www.britannica.com/search?query=drug&page=1

Comments as presumptuous as this indicate that your lack of people skills are only exceeded by your lack of civility and common sense. Making rude asinine assumptions based on the use of colloquial euphemisms is a good indicator that you may non yet have reached manhood, or at the very least a responsible level of adult self control and wisdom.
                          You have much to learn grasshopper, perhaps it is best to keep one's ears open and the mouth shut while the adults are talking.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The old truck is pretty much used up. I had no intention of keeping it around, I already have too many vehicles. I sold it today to a good friend with the very clear understanding that our friendship is worth way more than a wore out dump truck. He agreed, the truck will never leave his big farm. He has a bunch of concrete from old pig houses to tear out it will be fine for that. He won't have to worry about tearing it up with the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                              Gee whizz, all the sharp barbs going back and forth here,,,,,,,,whats up?
                              What difference does grammar have to do with man cave toys??
                              'Drug home a Mack truck' is very much a man cave thing,,,,,,, as compared to,,,,,,,,, "Honey, do you mind if I buy a truck??"
                              Agree. one dasn't* make a mistake here or one will be jumped upon.

Seems meaningless to complain about grammar, I broke that "rule" simply to "diss" the post in which one of our esteemed members was whining, in what I may term "broken English", about the grammar and usage employed by another member. It had a sort of pathetic irony to it, and I was in a foul mood over unrelated matters, so I decided to be the "grammar FBI" and point out the mistakes of "local law enforcement" as represented by our esteemed member.

* "Dasn't" is a real hybrid....it might be called a "mis-spelled contraction" and means "dares not", a fact of which "Termite" over on PM is blissfully unaware.

I still see those trucks in use, for "medium" hauling. There are a lot of the 14 wheel heavy dumpers around here because the next town over has a lot of construction going on at the moment, with a good deal of excavation.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 06-04-2020, 07:56 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Classy old truck. I wouldn’t let greenie or Doozer ride in it OR honk the horn. That’ll teach’em better.

Comment

Working...
                                X