Treasure I drug home yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

If I had to give an example of poor writing, spelling, grammar, and composition skills, the quoted text above would certainly be a good one.

Spelling is one of the "markers" for education. The structure of speech or writing is another one, which reveals thought processes and the ability, or inability, to form logical arguments.
    Hey man, you are just keeping me honest.
    I am guilty and I appreciate the honesty.
    I do enjoy picking back and forth.
    If I am right or if I'm wrong, it is still fun.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post

Your mother was a mini-lathe, and your father smelled of tapmatic!

Does that work?
      AAhhahahahahahah somebody else has been watching Monty Python ahahahahahahha thanks!!
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
        I don't think you should refer to our wife as 'it' but how much do wives go for in your neck of the plains?
        Ooooh. Must be more to this story than I thought!

Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Comments as presumptuous as this indicate that your lack of people skills are only exceeded by your lack of civility and common sense. Making rude asinine assumptions based on the use of colloquial euphemisms is a good indicator that you may non yet have reached manhood, or at the very least a responsible level of adult self control and wisdom.
          You have much to learn grasshopper, perhaps it is best to keep one's ears open and the mouth shut while the adults are talking.
          from memory (and I'm too lazy to check) Greenie's main "contribution" to this board is to pop in every 6mths or so and thread bomb with some p!ssy comments about someone's grammar, their genetic lineage or how ugly their mother is. If he did it more often he'd mostly likely get banned for being an unpleasant douchebag.

No problem with Doozer at all, though I am a bit disturbed by this "nice guy" approach, seems totally out of character. Maybe he's found a girlfriend and is relieving his stress some other way?

Comment

In the 1960's to the 1990's I spent my summersand weekends working for two brothers who owened and operated a tool and equipment rental store. The brothers were from rural Western Washington an d served in the Seabee's during WW2. When they thought someone was thinking of quitting they would say"He is going to Drag up soon". When you asked where someone wasthey would say "He Drug up". As I was a "college boy" it was imparative that I included at least one of the forbidden four letter words in each sentence. If totally out of control it was standard practice to have two or more compound "bad words" in what could have been a simple phrase.

It was a Work Hard, Play Hard outfit. If you screwed up they would ask you "what you were thinking" followed by "Thats why we have insurance". Guys that were screw-ups or didn't give a rats arse got to "Drag Up".

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig -- sooner or later you realize he's enjoying it"

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I could be tempted one day to drag home a giant bulldozer. Have no use for one, no place to store it, I just want one.
                RB, I worked for a dirt, mulch and gravel company for a few summers when I retired. I never thought much of dozers as I primarily drove dump trucks and wheel loaders.
                Then one day the boss had me help the guy from Cat change the tracks on our D9. I provided the mechanised assistance pulling tracks in and out of the machine. Once finished the boss told me to go push some dirt for a half hour then re tension the new tracks. Odd thing was that I was now sitting ten feet above the ground to drive it. (Same sensation when I went from a Piper 140 and did my first right seat in my previous bosses Lear 45) *Crap without the yaw damper.

You can't fathom the dozer power. I dropped the blade about 6 inches and it pushed dirt until it was coming over the top of the blade. It didn't care what I did to it.
                So whacha gonna do with your new dozer....

Comment

I have to comfess years ago I fell in love with a certain 1973 AutoCar Consturcktor. 6-71 detroit with the Eaton 10-wheeler. Half a million hard miles, no glass, no muffler, no gages and no lights, bring the bee spray with you. Beer keg ratchet strap seat, vise grips for the air brakes. That thing would fire right up at midnight in January, no prob every time on the first crank. Had a PTO winch hanging off the front of the engine and sticking thru the front bumper. 110,000 lbs. Employer was using it for a yard truck for equipment recovery.

Comment

Grammar Nazis - Nein!

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                      Grammar Nazis - Nein!
                      Kindly have the decency to identify us correctly by our Sacred Relic - Strunk and White's Elements of Style, First Edition.

I hope you did not mean for us to lump us in the Later Editioners - who eat off of their bellies, when there are perfectly good tables about for use of that function.

In any case, your abbreviation of the Holy Name of our Sacred Relic may well have been alleviated by the acceptable, yet colloquial (although arcane), use of et cetera, hereby illustrated as per Rule 2, as you are but no doubt aware of so to do: Stunk and White, etc.

(And yes, I thank you in advance for the opportunity of scoring points with my peers to compact my typography by ending a sentence with the abbreviated form of et cetera, thereby saving a full period. My deep appreciation is also given for the bonus points scored as well that the word period preceded it's synonymously named punctuation mark in the previous sentence. It is for this alone that I defer to kindness and not rag upon the lack of calendar year reference, similarly missing.

After all, a good Grammar Nazi is never a quibbling Sematics Nazi, nor worse, a Syntax Nazi (this last reference having been given, quite naturally, with highest reverence to the ghosts of alt.syntax).) *

Kindly remember, and please never forget: if something can be said with few words, it's worth saying very well; therefore, it worth saying with a great many words, in order to be at one's best, if for no other reason. (N.B., it is well and good that initiates question the validity of verbosity over being succinct, as an object lesson that the admonishment for clarity overrides.)

In closing, I am further compelled to compliment you upon the quite deft class-naming used for our gathering place, indicating, as it does, this modern forum while simultaneously not excluding Usenet, that is, as goes without saying, our one true Kobol, with the codex modification as it applies, naturally, to the mythology presented only in the contempory BattleStar Gallactica.

* Note the parenthetical salvation of the egregious Usenet syntax error had the sentence been constructed to end thus: alt.syntax.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2916.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	1879441
                        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        I have to comfess years ago I fell in love with a certain 1973 AutoCar Consturcktor. 6-71 detroit with the Eaton 10-wheeler. Half a million hard miles, no glass, no muffler, no gages and no lights, bring the bee spray with you. Beer keg ratchet strap seat, vise grips for the air brakes. That thing would fire right up at midnight in January, no prob every time on the first crank. Had a PTO winch hanging off the front of the engine and sticking thru the front bumper. 110,000 lbs. Employer was using it for a yard truck for equipment recovery.
                        This is my 1990 Autocar Grain Truck 60 series Detroit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1879440

Comment

TTT-

Cool truck, but are you sure it's not a Volvo?
                          Or did Volvo buy that cab and use it for their trucks later?

-D
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            .......Kindly remember, and please never forget: if something can be said with few words, it's worth saying very well; therefore, it worth saying with a great many words, in order to be at one's best, if for no other reason....
                            I think it's worth saying that the author forgot the apostrophe s in the second, "it worth saying...." part of the stanza.

Just saying.
                            --Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

-D
                              you may need a hobby.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

TTT-

Cool truck, but are you sure it's not a Volvo?
                                Or did Volvo buy that cab and use it for their trucks later?

-D
                                Yes it is, very big box for someone more used to hauling aggregates. How many yards/bushels in that box I wonder?

At the time Autocar was a division of Volvo, hence the similarity of lineage.
                                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                                X