Best VS Bang - Rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best VS Bang - Rotary

I'm debating accepting a job which could benefit from a rotary table larger than the one I currently own.

I am curious as to who make the bests vs who make the best bang for your buck. It seems like so far (from very limited researching) that falls to Yuasa and Phase II respectively. I am sure I could do this particularly job effectively with a cheap Grizzly rotary table, but I don't have the time these days to screw around with it.

That aspect of the job is actually fairly simple. I could do it by making an indexing fixture plate and index the job to the plate, but it would be a single use tool. A rotary table would allow for faster indexing, a more efficient job, and be useful for other projects in the future.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Gorton or Bridgeport RT are lighter weight and really nice.
    Think 15" size.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Make sure you get one that freewheels, and has moveable zero on the table.. way faster setups. I have a 10 inch News, very much like Yuasa, very nice , happy with it, not cheap. Think it was near 800 bux, in 1987..
      Last edited by 754; 06-03-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I have a Vertex RT that Is very good quality. I don't know how they fall in the mix pricewise. I have always had good luck with Phase II tools. I believe them to be at the top of the food chain of the cheap Chinese import tools.

A rotary table is slow for indexing. You might want to consider a Super Spacer or combination RT/SS.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
          I'm debating accepting a job which could benefit from a rotary table larger than the one I currently own.

I am curious as to who make the bests vs who make the best bang for your buck. It seems like so far (from very limited researching) that falls to Yuasa and Phase II respectively. I am sure I could do this particularly job effectively with a cheap Grizzly rotary table, but I don't have the time these days to screw around with it.

That aspect of the job is actually fairly simple. I could do it by making an indexing fixture plate and index the job to the plate, but it would be a single use tool. A rotary table would allow for faster indexing, a more efficient job, and be useful for other projects in the future.

Will the table be under control?
          Walter makes excellent ones.

Comment

I notice that the larger ex industrial tables go fairly cheap on ebay, probably because not many people have a big enough mill for them to fit on, or a crane for that matter.

Comment

I think your assessment is spot on. I have a Vertex 8" RT, and it was made in Taiwan, but is fairly high quality. It is a 40:1 ratio, but I think they also make or made the 90:1 units.

Dan
              Salem, Oregon

Comment

Troyke is the best but
                Yuasa any day over a Phase II -
                Made in Japan (They also make NEWS )
                Be aware ---some of their tables are 80:1 ( 4 1/2 degrees per rotation of handwheel) versus 90:1 ( 4 Degrees)
                That means they use a different dividing chart/table when using plates , say compared to Troyke or Phase II
                I have a 12" NEWS HV RT- Rugged and accurate
                Rich
                Green Bay, WI

Comment

I got a 6" Vertex awhile back and love it.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have a Tos-Kurim made in Czechoslovakia seems like good quality it's designed to be powered or manual operated,only ever used it manually. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.PNG
Views:	256
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1879081

Comment

Advance made about THE best small rotary tables out there IMO. Built like a tank. Solid as hell. But, they are heavy and you can only get old ones now since they are out of business. A Troyke is a great table too and they ARE still in business.

Comment

The TOS looks like you cant disengage the worm and Zero does not move. Once you use that its hard to go back, see pic.Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-06-04-11-10-00.png Views:	0 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	1879169
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 754; 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=754;n1879159]The TOS looks like you cant disengage the worm and Zero does not move. Once you use that its hard to go back.

Yes it can be disengaged haven't used it for 3 yrs and it's 14' up pallet rack right now,but I do remember free wheeling the table,power input shaft is back right corner in pic.

I also got the Universal Indexing Head that is designed to be powered as well,kind of a package deal.

Comment

It would help a lot if Bob had mentioned the size of his present table, or am I the only person here who isn't a mind reader.

Comment

​​​​​​With the mention of a Grizzly table in the O.P. (I think they only sell little ones?) I was operating under the assumption that he was looking for something in the 12"-15" range, but you are totally correct, old mart.

For reference, attached is an Advance cross-slide rotary. They also made plain Jane tables.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by eKretz; 06-05-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X