CHEAP TOOLS/HIGH PRICES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEAP TOOLS/HIGH PRICES

I just purchased a new cutoff blade of the HSS variety from a name brand tool mfg.(CTD)because I do buy all my tooling from North American mfgs. even though the machines I use them in may not be American or Canadian.I payed I belive $39.00+sphg.for the blade.When I opened the package the first thing I saw were the words"made in Mexico"Thank you NAFTA.I don't particularly mind import tools as long as I pay import prices!If I wanted cheap crap on the same page was the bottom of the barrel China blade for $6.35!So if any of you guys buy any new tooling remember name brands don't mean sqawt!!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

President Bush was giving a speech in a warehouse today, where all the boxes were marked "Made in USA", but the boxes themselves were "Made in China". With the relentless globalization of our economy, it's almost impossible to determine where the parts came from and where it was partially assembled. I feel for you wierscience.

Albert

Comment

I would call the supplier and get authorization to return the blade. I sure as heck wouldn't pay that money for something "Hecho en Mexico". Let them know they should say it is import in the catalog.
      Les

Comment

"I do buy all my tooling from North American mfgs".
        Well, Mexico is in North America so I guess you haven't violated your own rule. As far as paying less for cheap imports, Ford and other manufacturers make cars in Mexico. Do you see a mark down on these cars for being made in Mexico?

Comment

I replaced a bench grinder last fall, wanted to buy a decent one. After looking at most major brands and most store brands everyone single one was made in China.
          Lower casting was almost a perfect match for the differant brands only differants was color of paint. Oh yes and the price from 19.99 to 79.99.
          there is a fine line
          between \"hobby\" and
          mental illness

Comment

I give up!!!!! I tried for years to keep our money on this continent. Problem is that we Americans have borrowed foreign money, our companies are internationally owned, our workers are illegal immigrants (send their wages “homeâ€‌), the “made in USAâ€‌ stickers are fudged allowing foreign made products to be sold as “home madeâ€‌.

I think best course of action is to buy acceptable quality, cheapest price. Save the money you save. Sooner or later, we will have to compete again as a nation of workers, rather than as a colony nation. To me colony nations send raw materials to more advanced nations for processing and return to themselves as finished products. An old French man said abouttaxes that the way to collect taxes is like plucking geese: get maximum feathers and down with least hissing. Right now, we (USA and UK) are being plucked by our own corporations and instead of hissing, we present our selves asking to be plucked. Until the mood of the countries change, we as individuals, need to learn how to give up as few feathers and down as possible while getting our food , water and shelter and tools.

Comment

About 3 yrs. ago I purchased a combination square set made by PEC in USA. I hadn't used the centering head since I bought it, until last night. The head must be machined wrong because the line on the bar wasn't in the center of the bar. I turned the centering head over and scibed another line and had plenty of daylight between the two lines. Now I have to send it back and if they find it's bad I'll get a new one. So I guess buying USA made doesn't guarantee you'll get quality. One of the reasons I try to by quality is so I don't have to go through this bull, but like my friend says, you better buy the best because even the best isn't very good. Poject is now on hold until new head comes.

Chris

Chris

Comment

USA is a village in Japan, I saw stuff that came from there a long time ago. I am not kidding there is such a place. So made in U.S.A. is different, but most of the stuff from American companies seem to be made off shore these days.
                I no longer care where the stuff is made, I care is the warranty is honored by a local company or store and you can still get parts somewhere.

Comment

Read in the paper where the municipal water supply companies for about a third of the nation are now owned and operated by a German conglomerate.

Comment

The power company that I retired from about 5 years ago is now owned by the Scotish Power. Sorry if I missed spelled Scotish Alistair. Our CEO wanted to be a world player and cost us the company.
                    Charlie
                    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Philt:
                      "I do buy all my tooling from North American mfgs".
                      Well, Mexico is in North America so I guess you haven't violated your own rule. As far as paying less for cheap imports, Ford and other manufacturers make cars in Mexico. Do you see a mark down on these cars for being made in Mexico?
                      </font>
                      According to Randy Mcnally Mexico is central these days also I only made the statement that way to include our friends in Canada as theirs is a quality product.As to the Ford car the automotive industry has lead the charge for globaly bastardized products for years General Motors started it and the Germans and Japanese are the latest converts.I guess the real shame is that a long standing American firm is screwing us on quality and price.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                      X