No announcement yet.

Sharpen your wire wheels and brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm I the only one who dresses angle grinder cut-off disks with diamond?

Comment

Thanks, Doc, for your intpu. Some interesting ideas there to follow up.

George B.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
        I'm I the only one who dresses angle grinder cut-off disks with diamond?
        Why do you dress them?

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post
          ...Yep, sharpen them....To sharpen, simple take a flat dollar store sharpening stone and gently press And travers it against the running wire wheel....
          Totally nuts.
          If you want a more aggressive cutting wire wheel,
          just switch to one that has stiffer and larger wires.
          They make twisted and knotted wires too.
          You'd be better served buffing you knob.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            You can not make precision ground stones by rubbing them against each other. Not even if you do that with three of them to generate a flat. That will only dislodge the abrasive particles, leaving the sharp edges of the lower ones sticking out. For proper precision ground stones, the abrasive particles must be ground FLAT in place, not dislodged. And the only way to do that is with a diamond wheel on a surface grinder. Those flattened abrasive particles will glide across a flat metal surface without removing anything. If the abrasive particles are only removed, the remaining ones will all have sharp points that may lay in a flat plane, but they will still cut into the metal surface and that is not desirable in a precision flat stone.

Some sources even recommend using precision flat stones on Jo blocks. You would not want to do that with stones that were flattened by rubbing them together. Those Jo blocks would never stick together again.

Paul, you misunderstand. I ground the cheap stones on my surface grinder just like my norton stones.. unlike the quality norton stones which glide across each other after grinding, the cheap stones crumbled and dragged across each other. I assumed it was due to the poor binder or processing of the stones. Hence my comments in that post.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Totally nuts.
              If you want a more aggressive cutting wire wheel,
              just switch to one that has stiffer and larger wires.
              They make twisted and knotted wires too.
              You'd be better served buffing you knob.

-Doozer
              A blistering opinion for something you have not tried. But hey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. You are, but then again, so am I.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                i not a believer. just another internet hype.
                It was around long before the internet. But go ahead, dress off something like a gage block with an ordinary bench stone from a thrift store.

Another alternative for the same kind of work is the synthetic ruby stones. Stefan Gotteswinter uses those -- https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...190+4287620553
                Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-09-2020, 07:51 PM.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

i dress my gage blocks with the angle grinder prepared by matti. i like those stones, especially the one for $1'055. whats the flatness spec on those? 1/4 wave length i heard? and they are self healing too, righ?

Comment

I tried it on a very bent-over wire wheel and I think the result was worse. What would have been blunt wire ends were now smoothed over by the stone. I may try it with the wheel backward; I have nothing to lose.

Comment

Working...
                    X