Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me, or the new forum software is not user friendly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me, or the new forum software is not user friendly?

I noticed that after HSM forum migrated to the new software, I virtually stopped visiting it on a regular basis. I tried my best to accommodate myself to the new environment. I like a lot of contributors and would be very glad to enjoy HSM the same way as before, but I just cannot make myself comfortable using the new forum software.

The interface is not as clear as the one of the old version. The new software seems too rudimentary and lacks the most important and basic functions for separating old and new material. For example, I can choose New Topics, but I cannot clear the whole list after reading what I find interesting. So if I choose the New Topics again, I'll have to go through the list of the same not interesting to me titles I chose to skip the first time around.

Am I missing any obvious way to make the process more meaningful, enjoyable and inviting?
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

It is you. After you get used to it and learn the added features, you'll be happier. The biggest benefit of all is that the forum now hosts pictures. No more images vanishing due to web hosts changing the game on people.

Comment

Early on, the differences to me were neither better nor worse, simply different. I don't recall any great adjustment pain. The one exception I would list is the Private Message feature. That seems very cumbersome to me. I don't use PM a lot, so that may be part of the issue.
      Last edited by lynnl; 06-08-2020, 08:48 AM.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
        I noticed that after HSM forum migrated to the new software, I virtually stopped visiting it on a regular basis. I tried my best to accommodate myself to the new environment. I like a lot of contributors and would be very glad to enjoy HSM the same way as before, but I just cannot make myself comfortable using the new forum software.

The interface is not as clear as the one of the old version. The new software seems too rudimentary and lacks the most important and basic functions for separating old and new material. For example, I can choose New Topics, but I cannot clear the whole list after reading what I find interesting. So if I choose the New Topics again, I'll have to go through the list of the same not interesting to me titles I chose to skip the first time around.

Am I missing any obvious way to make the process more meaningful, enjoyable and inviting?
        As far as I'm concerned you are 100% correct. I can't even find a "mark all as read". This is the first post in a long time and it is only to support your view. You probably won't see another from me.
        ...lew...

Comment

Everytime someone says we will make it better , watch out. All you are going to get is a mess.

Take Microsoft as an example.

Management at homeshopmachinist should get their head out of the sand and hand this mess over to someone who knows how to fix this forum.

Meanwhile I hope that someone takes some buckshot to their asses sticking up.

Comment

I don't use it as much as I used to. Two issues:

1. Far too much white space and not enough entries on each page.
            2. No quick way to get to the end of a thread. The only way I've discovered is either to type in the final page number in a tiny box at the top of the first page, or go to the bottom of it and make my way from there. Oddly enough, it's usually the final post in a thread I'm interested in, not the first one again.

George B.

Comment

I also use New Topics to see recent posts. Once you are done click on the "Forums" link (its above New Topics) scroll to the bottom and click "Mark Channels Read". Its slightly more inconvenient but its not hard to do.

The main reason you see such a large change was the version that was being used was absolutely ancient and not supported. It took a great deal of effort on Village Press to get every migrated. The concern today is to not customize tons of features and have lots of issues during future upgrades. The site may look different but for the most part it functions the same.
              Mike
              Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post

1. Far too much white space and not enough entries on each page.
                2. No quick way to get to the end of a thread. The only way I've discovered is either to type in the final page number in a tiny box at the top of the first page, or go to the bottom of it and make my way from there. Oddly enough, it's usually the final post in a thread I'm interested in, not the first one again.

George B.
                The only way I have found to get to the first unread post is to click on that blue arrow on the title page. If I want to find the "NEW POSTS" I just refresh the page - that's as close as I can get to the actual new posts.

Comment

Some of you may be using the wrong settings. I have no issues with the general setup.

I do notice that the forum is slow. I find that I have to hover over any button too long. If I go there and click, nothing happens, it hangs, and does not complete the action. If I wait a "long" time, then it works OK.

I would understand this if I was using some old dog of a computer. But I am not, I am using a Dell G3 Gaming computer that is fast as heck for 3D CAD and rendering. It is NOT the computer, it is something with the software as far as I can determine.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Its not bad if you are a member logged in, but it has been designed, (probably by accident) to be unfriendly to the casual browser. A lot of the photos will not reveal themselves unless you are logged in, this will deter a lot of potential members.
                    I commented when the new format first started about the small number of entries per page.
                    The clever designers of these forums should spend more time listing what was good about the old format and improve on that. It happens everywhere, these whizz kids tell the management what they want to do rather than the other way round.

Comment

How can I get the Shop Made Tools to go to the last page? R, HAP
                      Who do I think you are...?

Comment

There is some stupidities with the forum software but you have to pee with the dick you got..

getting to last page of the thread is hit and miss with mobile devices.. any changes to make that arrrow button even smaller?

New wysiwyg-style post editor is also disaster when using mobile and trying to post pictures from external sites like imgur

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                          I also use New Topics to see recent posts. Once you are done click on the "Forums" link (its above New Topics) scroll to the bottom and click "Mark Channels Read". Its slightly more inconvenient but its not hard to do.
                          Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it. The "Mark Channels Read" feature eliminates the bold font from the titles making them look like read, but if you press New Topics after completing the steps you describe, you'll still get the same list (just not in bold font). So "marking the channels read" doesn't really make them read.

EDIT: After playing with this a bit longer, I discovered that I either need to leave and revisit the forum or refresh the page to make it work as expected. Thank you again.
                          Last edited by MichaelP; 06-08-2020, 02:07 PM.
                          Mike
                          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post

No quick way to get to the end of a thread.
                            click the blue button here

you guys are working very hard at becoming grumpy old men ......just saying, I mean the community, content, people should make the other stuff insignificant
                            Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-08-2020, 02:08 PM.
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Oh sure. Except that blue button doesn't work. All it does for many is take you to the last PAGE (not the last post). None of the menu buttons work. Can't post photos. Can't post anything but text. Can't clear Notifications either so when that fills up I guess the software will crash.

Comment

Working...
                              X