Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Bend Lathe...... Make one out of two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Lathe...... Make one out of two?

Several years ago I picked up my first South Bend, a well worn 10k. It came with an equally worn three jaw chuck to go with it's well worn bed and tail stock as it's only accessory, all in all, I didn't get much...... Fast forward to the present and I have tooled it up quite nicely, leaving me with a well tooled , but very well worn old lathe.
    Last weekend I found an old 9" model c, very dusty, and a little rusty, but with very little bed wear that I picked up to swap beds with the 10k. However, taking the tail stock wear into consideration, I'm now thinking that making the 9" a large dial model "A" with a 10k spindle might be the better way to go. I think I have done my homework and am pretty sure it'll work, but if anyone knows differently I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks in advance, Don
    If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

Hi Don,

I have a 9A but none of the conversions that your asking about. What I recommend is going to the Practical Machinist forum https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ and look around the South Bend lathe sub-forum to see what you can find. Some people don't like the PM site, but the sub forum was a great place to ask and learn when I first got my lathe and rebuilt it, then I found this site for general learning and I haven't gone back.
    Also there is a Facebook group, but I have not taken part in Facebook so I do not know anything about that group.

Good luck.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

X2 on the SB forum at PM.... it should be do-able, the devil is in the details --
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Thanks guys, I spend quite a bit of time hanging out over there as well, I just kinda tend to keep my head down and stick to the search button, which doesn't work for me near as well as it used to. Definitely not the prolific poster over there like I am here.......lol I don't anticipate any major issues, I have a good collection of spare parts including a spare pair of gear boxes, lead screws, and banjos etc., hopefully if I do it right, I'll always have a running lathe as I go, although briefly it will be a model A with a no frills model c apron while I rebuild the A one. I have a M.L.A. Tee slot cross slide in the shop to machine this winter as well. I can almost hardly wait for winter..... I'm going to pick away at it a little at a time cleaning and de-rusting. I plan to pick up a felt kit and rebuild guide in the next few days as well. Then there's the paint problem.... should the black be gloss or flat?

Lillooet
        British Columbia
        Canada.

Comment

LOL yeah I want to do the t-slot cross slide but no mill here. I use google to search at PM because their search sucks. I do a lot of reading too.

Comment

Hey I am in Kelowna. When you finish the conversion, I may be interested in a gearbox. Are your SB,s 3ft bed or 4 ft. Mine us a 3 foot.
            setting up shop soon , might be able to help with a few things if you get stuck.

Comment

Mine are 3 1/2' beds, but I think I have a 4 1/2' lead screw in the mix as well....... Nothing a fella with a saw and lathe can't shorten a little... LOL

Lillooet
              British Columbia
              Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by 140mower View Post
                should the black be gloss or flat?
                I would use a 2 part hard finish gloss black enamel.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                  LOL yeah I want to do the t-slot cross slide but no mill here. I use google to search at PM because their search sucks. I do a lot of reading too.
                  Tony @ Lathes.co.uk sells a very nice, fully machined, ready to fit t slotted cross slide,
                  postage may be off putting to the US tho....

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post

Tony @ Lathes.co.uk sells a very nice, fully machined, ready to fit t slotted cross slide,
                    postage may be off putting to the US tho....
                    Thank you very much for this, I had no idea he sold things like that. Yes, postage to the UK is often greater than the value of the item, but I have done business there before. The quality and customer service with UK companies is excellent in my experience and that makes it all worth it...

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Thank you very much for this, I had no idea he sold things like that. Yes, postage to the UK is often greater than the value of the item, but I have done business there before. The quality and customer service with UK companies is excellent in my experience and that makes it all worth it...
                      There is a bunch of Boxford stuff that fits the SB 9" series, as the Boxford was just a more modern, better clone of the original.
                      Ditto, Tony @ Lathes.co.uk stocks stuff that will fit the SB 9.
                      Regards,
                      TG

Edit, i have that exact cross slide from Tony, it is more substantial than either the stock SB or Boxford item, and runs full length dovetail slide engagement as opposed to the originals which only run just over half.
                      Take your stock cross slide off, turn it over, and say "oh yeah".....
                      Last edited by thaiguzzi; 06-13-2020, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post

There is a bunch of Boxford stuff that fits the SB 9" series, as the Boxford was just a more modern, better clone of the original.
                        Ditto, Tony @ Lathes.co.uk stocks stuff that will fit the SB 9.
                        Regards,
                        TG

Edit, i have that exact cross slide from Tony, it is more substantial than either the stock SB or Boxford item, and runs full length dovetail slide engagement as opposed to the originals which only run just over half.
                        Take your stock cross slide off, turn it over, and say "oh yeah".....
                        Yes, I'm looking forward to the extra rigidity of those oh-so-long gibbs... LOL Not to mention a lathe bed that doesn't resemble a Six Flags roller coaster. Over the past few years I have hoarded a few new cross slide and compound screws and nuts, gear boxes, and other assorted sundries to get the old girl back into top condition. Once I get done with the rebuild I'll have to go through it all and sell some of it off and make some space in the shop and hopefully have enough beans left over to get my little K&T horizontal a few trinkets and get it up and running. It's been holding that corner of the floor down for far too long now....

Lillooet
                        British Columbia
                        Canada.

Comment

I would like to ride over and have a look at this , some day., i went to trade school with a fellow that lived in Lillooet., Troy from Goldbridge and his sidekick Rob from Lilooet. .. you may know them.

Comment

Pretty sure I know Troy (Good stand-up kinda guy, gave me a ride back home early one morning after dropping the trans in an old Mack I was driving at the time)...... Rob I'm not so sure, but If he's still here, I'm sure we've crossed paths...... You bet...... if you're out for a ride, feel free to drop by, just let me know you're coming this way, so I don't go charging off on another of my shop foraging adventures and miss ya.

Lillooet
                            British Columbia
                            Canada.

Comment

I think Rob bounced at the bar, last name may be Houten ?

Comment

Working...
                              X