Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a CNC Lathe & CNC Mill - Need Advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

    In all of the discussions, have you considered metal removal rates? Time consumed by tool and part changes?
    You are trying to create a business venture with a real product. Can the machines you've chosen produce your product in a reasonable amount of time to turn a profit?
    HA! ...are you kidding? He hasn't considered anything, except "...I want a CNC."
    Removal rates..? Tool/part changes...? Mere trivialities; we'll deal with that later.

    This whole thread has read like something out of a fantasy land. Certainly entertaining.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

    Comment


    • #77
      Had he just said, "I just want a desktop CNC machine to play around with, and a 4th axis to go along with it", this thread would of been much smaller and far less controversial.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

        In all of the discussions, have you considered metal removal rates? Time consumed by tool and part changes?
        You are trying to create a business venture with a real product. Can the machines you've chosen produce your product in a reasonable amount of time to turn a profit?

        No, because it's for prototyping not mass manufacture.

        Also it's for learning machining as a skill.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by mechanica View Post


          No, because it's for prototyping not mass manufacture.

          Also it's for learning machining as a skill.

          "Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time.
          I have to get caught up in a hurry and start making parts.
          I'm going to have to learn this by doing."


          So after umpteen prototypes, plus all the scrapped parts, the final design will be manufactured elsewhere?

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post


            "Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time.
            I have to get caught up in a hurry and start making parts.
            I'm going to have to learn this by doing."


            So after umpteen prototypes, plus all the scrapped parts, the final design will be manufactured elsewhere?
            High value, low volume.

            ​​​​​The value being on the electronics side which is highly complex.

            Comment


            • #81
              Well, please post about your adventure on here, and I will offer help when ever I can.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                Well, please post about your adventure on here, and I will offer help when ever I can.
                Thanks William.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I Am Sorry up front. JR

                  You guys are a bunch of Holes/

                  Starts whit A and find yer Dumb Self to Z.

                  Kidding. Just board.

                  Messin with folks is easy and free. I was an introvert, for safety reasons, Ha, I worked that out also.

                  Like your Story. L

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by mechanica View Post
                    4 in. CNC Vise
                    What is a CNC vise?
                    Last edited by Bented; 06-27-2020, 11:40 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Bented View Post

                      What is a CNC vise?
                      Its a regular vise at twice the cost...

                      I commented a while ago, as no one else has said it, but your tooling cost is going to be roughly the same as what you spend on the machine too.

                      Cheap import tool holders $20-30 CAD each
                      Cheap import endmills $5-10 each
                      Decent drill bits $3-10 each

                      Then you are also gonna want to look at parallels, vises, t-slot clamps, calipers, dial indicators, setup blocks, etc....

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                        I Am Sorry up front. JR

                        You guys are a bunch of Holes/

                        Starts whit A and find yer Dumb Self to Z.

                        Kidding. Just board.

                        Messin with folks is easy and free. I was an introvert, for safety reasons, Ha, I worked that out also.

                        Like your Story. L
                        Is Pidgen English you native tongue?
                        Or is mocking Asians that have difficulty with the English language good sport?
                        I guess you don't see this constant mockery as racism?
                        Last edited by reggie_obe; 06-28-2020, 03:34 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post

                          Its a regular vise at twice the cost...

                          I commented a while ago, as no one else has said it, but your tooling cost is going to be roughly the same as what you spend on the machine too.

                          Cheap import tool holders $20-30 CAD each
                          Cheap import endmills $5-10 each
                          Decent drill bits $3-10 each

                          Then you are also gonna want to look at parallels, vises, t-slot clamps, calipers, dial indicators, setup blocks, etc....
                          So I guess if I buy a cheap vise, and true it up on my surface grinder, it becomes a CNC vise? Better yet, get two cheap vises, true them up to each other on the surface grinder, they become extra expensive CNC vises!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post

                            Its a regular vise at twice the cost...
                            Because manual hex keys simply will not work.
                            http://www.helmancnc.com/hex-keys-al...nc-machinists/

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Bented View Post

                              Because manual hex keys simply will not work.
                              http://www.helmancnc.com/hex-keys-al...nc-machinists/
                              Do they come in freedom units or are CNC hex keys only available in metric?

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post

                                Do they come in freedom units or are CNC hex keys only available in metric?
                                Before using a CNC hex key one must enter the code for the unit of measure required, either G20 or G21.
                                You really should have known this.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X