Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Rinsing out 'B-Alanine' from a poly IBC container to use as rainwater reservoir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead right about the algae problem caused by the tank being translucent. Painting the outside black or keeping the tank in darkness is probably the only solution. Get two tanks while the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
      Sounds pretty harmless to me but I'm no chemist.
      I'm sure it'll sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
        Dead right about the algae problem caused by the tank being translucent. Painting the outside black or keeping the tank in darkness is probably the only solution. Get two tanks while the price is right.
        I don't have unlimited space and I think one should be enough. I'll have it rigged to autofill from the hose if the level gets too low. My system runs about 20 gal a day, so during normal times I think I'll be ok. The paint is an interesting idea, but maybe an opaque tarp might be better. At least it's going to be on the north side with no direct light. Were you joking about shaking it? Those things are BIG! Ian B I assume you too were joking with the cadmium suggestion, there's enough toxic metals in the soil around here!

Comment

Be sure to keep it out of the sun light otherwise the UV will destroy the plastic. A good coat of paint will solve both issues.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

That's probably why the also come in black: https://www.directwatertanks.co.uk/1...et-un-approved Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
              Be sure to keep it out of the sun light otherwise the UV will destroy the plastic. A good coat of paint will solve both issues.
              You can say that again. My Dad lost 300 gallons of water a few weeks ago because the spigot got brittle and snapped off.

Comment

Yes, it should be protected. Over time the algae will be a problem.

Maybe take advantage of the frame as attach points to secure some type of wall material and a roof. Paint it up to look like a little dog house, or a doll house, or a bird house, maybe an out house?
                Last edited by tom_d; 06-12-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Back to the original question. Mix up a solution of washing soda and maybe some dish soap, run that through your pressure washer, you should be able to get complete coverage with the wand inserted through the fill opening..

Comment

I've often wondered how much more expensive it is to make PE UV resistant, obviously they do it for stuff like playground equipment and boats. I think a physical covering like a tarp, or a wooden housing would be better than paint, especially to actually see if there's an algae problem.

Comment

I've often wondered how much more expensive it is to make PE UV resistant... ...I think a physical covering like a tarp, or a wooden housing would be better than paint, especially to actually see if there's an algae problem.
                      Someone near me used to sell black UV resistant ones for $100 and the regular ones for $50. By the time I needed another one, they were gone and I haven't found any locally since.
                      I covered this one with cheap 6" fencing. The pickets/runners (runners are just 4x3/4" pickets) are screwed to the the cage with machine screws. The top just lifts up. On the non sunny side, I cut a 1" slot to see the water level, but it is hard to see, so I usually just flip up the top and take a look. I put a ball valve spigot in the drain cap (machined a few parts to make that work well) and the PVC out the side is the overflow. Still haven't gotten around to painting it, or the house.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IBC 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1880889

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Someone near me used to sell black UV resistant ones for $100 and the regular ones for $50. By the time I needed another one, they were gone and I haven't found any locally since.
                        I covered this one with cheap 6" fencing. The pickets/runners (runners are just 4x3/4" pickets) are screwed to the the cage with machine screws. The top just lifts up. On the non sunny side, I cut a 1" slot to see the water level, but it is hard to see, so I usually just flip up the top and take a look. I put a ball valve spigot in the drain cap (machined a few parts to make that work well) and the PVC out the side is the overflow. Still haven't gotten around to painting it, or the house.

Click image for larger version Name:	IBC 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1880889
                        Cool! That's the idea. There's some $20 3/8" "barnboard" patterned exterior plywood at Lowes that I was going to use for a house for my smoker, guess it would do fine for this too.

I was considering putting a float valve to the house water inside to keep the level up if it gets too low. Do you have a method, or just keep an eye on it as you say? I need to research what to do for the pump, best thing would probably be finding an immersion pump that will fit through the fill opening.

Comment

Someone gave me a few of those blue plastic barrels a long time ago. I wanted them to catch rainwater off the roof for my garden. There was a label on them that said oakite or something like that, and Industrial cleaner or degreaser I believe. I washed them out good with soap and water several times. Unless the plastic absorbs these chemicals they should be safe for rain water for plants.

JL.....

Comment

Cool! That's the idea. There's some $20 3/8" "barnboard" patterned exterior plywood at Lowes that I was going to use for a house for my smoker, guess it would do fine for this too.
                            I was considering putting a float valve to the house water inside to keep the level up if it gets too low. Do you have a method, or just keep an eye on it as you say? I need to research what to do for the pump, best thing would probably be finding an immersion pump that will fit through the fill opening.
                            4x8 sheets would have been easier, but more expensive (each side was like 52" IIRC), and I thought the pickets looked nice.
                            I don't do anything beyond letting the rain fill it. I modified the guttering so that this fills up first, and it takes very little rain to refill. It usually doesn't run dry until late July or so (am in TX). I did find that the cheapest strainer/sifter at walmart fits exactly in the top where it fills from.

If you can raise it a fair bit above where it is being discharged, you may not need a pump at all - although a drip irrigation might require a good bit of pressure, IDK.

Comment

Working...
                            X