• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield your radioactive source.
    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      Think of an application where changing the resonant frequency of something would improve it. Perhaps a lathe or mill could do with a bit more mass in the right place.
      Im wondering about this too. I have about a ton of lead scrap here, and im in the process of converting a Seig X2 into cnc. Ive been looking at the epoxy granite, but would lead work better/worse for dampening?

Comment

In NJ, CLEAN LEAD $00.60, wheel weight or other dirty lead $00.06/lb.

Comment

Other uses - clock weights and pendulums. Model boat makers need ballast.
          If you can find some old pewter you could make some proper solder.
          All you fishermen and gun nuts should be retrieving and reusing your lead not letting it stay around the countryside as a pollutant.

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            A couple lead hammers in different sizes are always useful in a shop. A taping block--basically a chunk of round stock--is
            handy for finer work
            This.
            +1. i have the same - no marring of the work piece either.
            I also cut off strips and tape onto cranks and conrods and wheels etc when initial static balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
              All you fishermen and gun nuts should be retrieving and reusing your lead not letting it stay around the countryside as a pollutant.
              Um, you do know that when a fisherman loses a weight or jig it's at the bottom of the body of water, right? It's pretty much as absurd for a hunter, but there's movements in both sports to limit or eliminate lead when possible. But I can't cast jigs of tungsten, brass or steel in my shop!

Comment

Last I checked scrap price for lead was in $0.80 range, a google today shows it to be between $0.35 and 0.75 per pound.
                Car batteries and wheel weights at the bottom end of that range, soft lead at top.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                  Other uses - clock weights and pendulums. Model boat makers need ballast.
                  If you can find some old pewter you could make some proper solder.
                  Bad lead for fishing weights has been banned in the U.K. for about 30 years ! All fishing weights are toxic free !
                  Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Comment

Well, this old fella is pretty generous. He asked me how much I wanted, then he said just take what you want. So now I have about 120 lbs or so- didn't change the pile much. Hold down weights would sure work for me, I'll make some of those. Lead hammer, sure. How about a lead flywheel? Something for a punching press, perhaps? Maybe I could take a piece and surround it with yellow foam and leave it on the coffee table.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Pity it wasn’t pre nuclear lead, that stuff has a hefty price tag, honest, anyway somewhat off topic but interesting, there’s a lead firm or metals firm over here I visited that made shot, in this thing called a shot tower, the lead was poured on a big Chinese hat cone and then fell down the tower, solidifying on the way
                      ancient process apparently
                      mark

Comment

Lead lick, like a salt lick, but lead, for people.

Comment

Saddle makers would buy all you could produce if you cut the lead up into smaller chunks and cover the chunks with either leather or canvas. They use them to weight down the leather parts of western saddles while they carve them. They never have enough.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            Pity it wasn’t pre nuclear lead, that stuff has a hefty price tag, honest, anyway somewhat off topic but interesting, there’s a lead firm or metals firm over here I visited that made shot, in this thing called a shot tower, the lead was poured on a big Chinese hat cone and then fell down the tower, solidifying on the way
                            ancient process apparently
                            mark
                            IIRC pre nuclear era lead is not that special yet but Roman Empire era lead has had some special uses:
                            https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2010.186

I can't remember exact details but time after smelting is the important property in this case as some radioactive elements are removed in the smelting and some others remain in the lead.

Comment

Working...
                            X