Shelf and In Use Life of Rust Preventive Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf and In Use Life of Rust Preventive Paper

I purchased a batch of rust preventive paper: the sheets are about 4 or 5 inches square. Since I am in South Texas where humidity is a real problem, I am trying to use it around the shop to prevent any rust from forming on my tools and equipment. It was not expensive and there were several hundred sheets in the package so the cost per sheet is not a factor at all.

As I understand it, this paper gives off some kind of vapors that inhibit the formation of rust. I am wondering how long it will retain it's properties both in storage and in use in places like wood and metal tool drawers, wooden boxes, and other places where tools are normally stored. Also in some cases where the tools or jigs are stored in cardboard bins I am trying to put sheets under them so they do not rest directly on the cardboard.

I could easily buy fresh batches but I just do not know what intervals that should be done at. Does anyone have any idea how long this stuff lasts both in storage, before use and in the more ventilated containers where it is actually used to protect the tools. I have it stored in a margarine tub at the present time but could use something that seals better if that is called for.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

I am also interested in this. In the past I have used Camphor blocks, purchased at a drug store, in my tool boxes to prevent rust on tooling with good results.

Comment

Years ago I had a rep send me a huge sample of this stuff. It came in a zip lock bag all nicely folded. I never unfolded the whole thing but I'm guessing there is about 30 sq. ft. there or more. I cut small pieces as needed.
      Paul, to answer your question, the rep told me that as long as the paper is kept sealed in the plastic bag and stored in a cool dry place it will last for years. I can't remember exactly how many that was. I also asked him how long the pieces that I put in my boxes would last and he told me as long as the box has a top on it and is basically sealed, not an open top box, the life expectancy is about 5 years.
      I lined the bottom of all the original boxes that my Starrett tools came in and that's over kill. I can't remember exactly but a 1" square piece of the stuff would provide adequate rust protection for a box of approximately 6" square. I also put pieces of the stuff under some tool that are stored in my machinist box, like V blocks etc.
      This is the brand of paper I have. The web site can do a better job of explaining than I can. https://daubertcromwell.com/

JL.................
      Last edited by JoeLee; 06-11-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I thought your garage shop is climate controlled? What is the relative humidity in there?

Comment

My shop is heated and I run a dehumidifier during the summer months. The humidity rarely exceeds 50%. Most of the time it's 40% or lower. During the winter months it's less than 20%
          But that's no excuse for not taking precautions for tool care.

JL...............

Comment

My shop is insulated, and I run a dehumidifier during warm seasons. The dehumidifier is adjusted to keep about 50% RH. This plus the camphor blocks (belt and suspenders) take good care of rust prevention in our humid environment. No rust noticed since I started it years ago.

But my woodworking machinery is located in an uninsulated garage. I cover it with tarps and wax the cast iron tables. This year I had to add camphor under the tarps and contacted a local rep. of the company, Cortec Corp., producing those VCI products you mention. He said that under usual circumstances (toolboxes that get open regularly, etc.), the paper and plastic products may be effective for 1-2 years. For the woodworking machinery that I cannot oil, he suggested a liquid, BioCorr, that can be used to spray the surfaces. It dries out immediately and leaves behind a light powder coat that prevents rust for 2 years.
            Last edited by MichaelP; 06-11-2020, 01:11 PM.
            Mike
            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Joe Lee

Daubert-cromwell website is interesting. They claim their product is safe for workers, but picture using rubber gloves.... ?(prevent human exposure or to prevent workers daubing products)?

Do you know MSDS ? Their product contains water as the "carrier"? ! ? Is that good? Other ingredients are "natural". Natural sounds good.

Time-proven Camphor does work, but it smells bad and camphor is used to kill silk worms and is being removed from some olde-time products. It is one of the "essential oils". Per WebMD: "Camphor is easily absorbed through broken skin [lungs?] and can reach toxic levels in the body." Also linked to liver damage / or liver disease.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PointFive View Post
                "Camphor is easily absorbed through broken skin [lungs?] and can reach toxic levels in the body." Also linked to liver damage / or liver disease.
                Anything in ridiculous quantities can be harmful. Camphor is a part of many medications and approved by FDA. So as long as you don't eat it for breakfast, you'll be just fine.
                Mike
                WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Life is known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

And it always leads to death.
                    Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by PointFive View Post
                      Joe Lee

Daubert-cromwell website is interesting. They claim their product is safe for workers, but picture using rubber gloves.... ?(prevent human exposure or to prevent workers daubing products)?

Do you know MSDS ? Their product contains water as the "carrier"? ! ? Is that good? Other ingredients are "natural". Natural sounds good.

Time-proven Camphor does work, but it smells bad and camphor is used to kill silk worms and is being removed from some olde-time products. It is one of the "essential oils". Per WebMD: "Camphor is easily absorbed through broken skin [lungs?] and can reach toxic levels in the body." Also linked to liver damage / or liver disease.

Paul
                      The write up on their web page was probably designed by lawyers! Just in case some idiot may decide to wrap his sandwich in it.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                        My shop is insulated, and I run a dehumidifier during warm seasons. The dehumidifier is adjusted to keep about 50% RH. This plus the camphor blocks (belt and suspenders) take good care of rust prevention in our humid environment. No rust noticed since I started it years ago.

But my woodworking machinery is located in an uninsulated garage. I cover it with tarps and wax the cast iron tables. This year I had to add camphor under the tarps and contacted a local rep. of the company, Cortec Corp., producing those VCI products you mention. He said that under usual circumstances (toolboxes that get open regularly, etc.), the paper and plastic products may be effective for 1-2 years. For the woodworking machinery that I cannot oil, he suggested a liquid, BioCorr, that can be used to spray the surfaces. It dries out immediately and leaves behind a light powder coat that prevents rust for 2 years.
                        That's interesting, I never heard of BioCorr. And your correct about the life expectancy of the paper In an open box or tool box drawer the life span is shorter than if it's placed in a closed box.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                          Life is known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.
                          The State of California is known to cause cancer in California.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Paul where does one purchase this womder paper. I have used camphor blocks in the past but they are available around here any more.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Here’s what works to prevent rust: lanolin.
                              buy a pound, dilute with light oil (and heat). Absolutely stops rust indefinitely

Comment

Working...
                              X