Computers and warranties, Dell style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glug View Post

It seems we are repeating history here. It is the familiar "I refuse to make a disk image". I remember how that came up again and again in your last computer problem diagnostic thread, as countless people suggested it when you asked them for assistance. So you say you can do it, but IIRC, you have always refused, even after countless people suggested it.

So you got a piece of food stuck under a key.. You can't use the warranty. You can't fix it yourself because you'll lose the warranty you can't lose. What is the path forward? Maybe I missed some details.
    Your post is, unfortunately, chock full of total BS. There is no "nice" way to say that, but it is true.

I have images on two different terabyte drives, regularly updated for all the computers in this location. Does that sound like I "refuse to make a disk image"? Right, did not think so, BS # 1 has been "outed"..

"food stuck under a key? WTF? Where did that come from?

The key seems to be broken. dude.....a factory defect, since it has been this way sonce I got it.... BS #2 has been "outed".

The issue here, far from your totally off-the-wall tirade, is that Dell is making a mountain out of a pebble, and for a simple known mechanical repair, is requiring all sorts of bull**** that has nothing to do with the repair needed.

AND, that while it costs ME nothing to make the required image, for MANY people, it would be expensive, because they cannot do it themselves, and would need to relay on a paid 3rd party tech, OR ACCEPT LOSING everything on the computer. This is due to a narrow-minded Dell policy....

I mentioned that the cell phone companies figured out that this is not how it works for folks, and they will handle putting the repaired phone back to the pre-repair status of data etc. Dell simply says "screw you", "comply with our BS or lose it all".

I'm NOT going to send it in for this, because it is a big hassle, and I don't need that at the moment. The key will pop down same as before, and yes it will pop up if I hit it off center again. Whatever. Would have been nice to get it fixed, but Dell discourages using the warranty. I'll fix it after the warranty is done with.

I am just amazed about this Dell "policy" that is actively "customer punishing", NOT customer friendly.

And astounded by your tirade.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 06-13-2020, 08:04 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Your post is, unfortunately, chock full of total BS. There is no "nice" way to say that, but it is true.

I have images on two different terabyte drives, regularly updated for all the computers in this location. Does that sound like I "refuse to make a disk image"? Right, did not think so, BS # 1 has been "outed"..

"food stuck under a key? WTF? Where did that come from?

The key seems to be broken. dude.....a factory defect, since it has been this way sonce I got it.... BS #2 has been "outed".

The issue here, far from your totally off-the-wall tirade, is that Dell is making a mountain out of a pebble, and for a simple known mechanical repair, is requiring all sorts of bull**** that has nothing to do with the repair needed.

AND, that while it costs ME nothing to make the required image, for MANY people, it would be expensive, because they cannot do it themselves, and would need to relay on a paid 3rd party tech, OR ACCEPT LOSING everything on the computer. This is due to a narrow-minded Dell policy....

I mentioned that the cell phone companies figured out that this is not how it works for folks, and they will handle putting the repaired phone back to the pre-repair status of data etc. Dell simply says "screw you", "comply with our BS or lose it all".

I'm NOT going to send it in for this, because it is a big hassle, and I don't need that at the moment. The key will pop down same as before, and yes it will pop up if I hit it off center again. Whatever. Would have been nice to get it fixed, but Dell discourages using the warranty. I'll fix it after the warranty is done with.

I am just amazed about this Dell "policy" that is actively "customer punishing", NOT customer friendly.

And astounded by your tirade.
      JTiers, the reason for the bullcrap for the return is that they don't actually fix it, they probably send you a refurbished unit that isn't as new as what you bought. I would fix it and forget about their warranty. They aren't paying for a room full of people to fix computers, cost less to send you a different one that got refurbished in Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

JTiers, the reason for the bullcrap for the return is that they don't actually fix it, they probably send you a refurbished unit that isn't as new as what you bought. I would fix it and forget about their warranty. They aren't paying for a room full of people to fix computers, cost less to send you a different one that got refurbished in Asia.
        Yes, as discussed several posts above, assembly-line standardized process of refurb. You get back some random refurb'd machine. They may do that. Or not. You might get back the same machine, but their "policy" may be to put it through a standard process of returning it to "factory new", which would mean it was wiped as a part of the standard process, no matter what the actual fault.

And, as discussed above, if they did just give back a random refurb'd unit, as they quite possibly do, then there would be NO reason to have the process take 2 weeks. The refurb could be shipped out as soon as the machine was checked-in and problem verified. The warehouse has a big stack of shipped-back-from-china refurbs if that is what they do, they could have it shipped out two hours after UPS delivers.

A process that was shorter would be much more acceptable. It could take as little as 3-4 days, instead of two weeks.

The combination of non-optimal factors; long time, and the hassle of making the (probably non-techie) customer arrange to have someone image the machine, is a real problem, and is an issue that cell phone companies solved years ago.

My wife has an iphone. It went bonkers one day after a failed automatic overnight update, and had to be wiped and totally reinstalled. All the data and apps were reinstalled by the apple techs from the icloud backup, so when she got it back it was exactly the same as when she took it in except that it worked again.

Dell could do the same. But they choose not to.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 06-14-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Yes, as discussed several posts above, assembly-line standardized process of refurb. You get back some random refurb'd machine. They may do that. Or not. You might get back the same machine, but their "policy" may be to put it through a standard process of returning it to "factory new", which would mean it was wiped as a part of the standard process, no matter what the actual fault.

And, as discussed above, if they did just give back a random refurb'd unit, as they quite possibly do, then there would be NO reason to have the process take 2 weeks. The refurb could be shipped out as soon as the machine was checked-in and problem verified. The warehouse has a big stack of shipped-back-from-china refurbs if that is what they do, they could have it shipped out two hours after UPS delivers.

A process that was shorter would be much more acceptable. It could take as little as 3-4 days, instead of two weeks.

The combination of non-optimal factors; long time, and the hassle of making the (probably non-techie) customer arrange to have someone image the machine, is a real problem, and is an issue that cell phone companies solved years ago.

My wife has an iphone. It went bonkers one day after a failed automatic overnight update, and had to be wiped and totally reinstalled. All the data and apps were reinstalled by the apple techs from the icloud backup, so when she got it back it was exactly the same as when she took it in except that it worked again.

Dell could do the same. But they choose not to.
          YOU could choose to do the same as well, all of my software and files are delivered by the cloud. Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive, Amazon Photos. All of my games are on Steam or Epic game store with cloud backups of saved games. Fusion 360 is cloud based, all of my Solidworks projects are on One Drive, my Office subscription gives me 1 Terabyte of online storage for everything. Even my Desktop is backed up on OneDrive. Thank you Win10.

Comment

YOU could choose to do the same as well, all of my software and files are delivered by the cloud. Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive, Amazon Photos. All of my games are on Steam or Epic game store with cloud backups of saved games. Fusion 360 is cloud based, all of my Solidworks projects are on One Drive, my Office subscription gives me 1 Terabyte of online storage for everything. Even my Desktop is backed up on OneDrive. Thank you Win10.
            Sigh.... "I" have images, can do more at will, I just use my own drive.....

See above for why i CAN NOT use the cloud. Unfortunately you did not read or you would already know that, but....

For me the stopper is 2 weeks time. I just cannot see that for a silly key issue, I am in the middle of a project, as usual, and clients do not like delays. If "I" fix the key, which I probably can with one of the kits, that may void the warranty which I would like to preserve in case the computer actually does a serious job of crapping out. I PAID for that warranty to cover major failures, damn if I want to void it for an effing key.....

I am more pissed off for the folks for whom making an image is a big deal requiring a visit to the computer repair shop and a largish $$ outlay. Dell, and, admittedly, the other computer companies, all have the same general policies. And they get away with it. So do most techs, who delight in declaring that they "have to wipe the drive".....

No reason for it to be needed for a damn key, that does not require a wipe and reinstall. But that extremely low cost key would cost a normal user over a hundred bucks in backup fees at a computer store, purely due to "policy" on the part of Dell.

Nobody HAS to do all that for their smart phone. It is expected, and standard procedure that the phone people will try really hard to put you back where you were before. The Apple store folks will do that even though they are NOT getting a monthly fee from you, AND you got their phone at a substantial discount thru Verizon etc, etc.

They will read off the old phone and write it back into the new one. easy-peasy. They will do it for my phone, which does NOT have cloud backup.

Comment

I believe some one posted a link to a replacement keyboard. That is what I would do.

Comment

I believe some one posted a link to a replacement keyboard. That is what I would do.
                I have a similar laptop. A few keys became bothersome. A replacement keyboard was cheap and took a very short time to install. Maybe 15 minutes from start to finish. That's the way I'd go.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I will eventually do the key. Seems stupid to have to do that, but it is worth the money to avoid a 2 week down time and several hours waiting for the image to be extracted and re-loaded. The key replacement likely takes a few minutes if it can be done successfully.

Note: I do NOT know if it can be done without tearing into the machine to remove the keyboard. That might be significantly more time and hassle.

Did you happen to see the video of what you DO to replace it?

You have to melt and slice plastic pegs.... unstick tape and coverings, the replace the new keyboard in the unit, and re-melt the plastic pegs, and re-stick the coverings.

Did you have some odd idea that doing that would somehow magically NOT void the warranty ?

The warranty is worthless for $5 keys, but it might be VERY useful when it comes to $500 internal PWBs. And you would void the warranty over a stinking key?

Comment

I will eventually do the key. Seems stupid to have to do that, but it is worth the money to avoid a 2 week down time and several hours waiting for the image to be extracted and re-loaded. The key replacement likely takes a few minutes if it can be done successfully.

Note: I do NOT know if it can be done without tearing into the machine to remove the keyboard. That might be significantly more time and hassle.

Did you happen to see the video of what you DO to replace it?

You have to melt and slice plastic pegs.... unstick tape and coverings, the replace the new keyboard in the unit, and re-melt the plastic pegs, and re-stick the coverings.

Did you have some odd idea that doing that would somehow magically NOT void the warranty ?

The warranty is worthless for $5 keys, but it might be VERY useful when it comes to $500 internal PWBs. And you would void the warranty over a stinking key?
                    I'm sorry, did you only want to vent to all of us, and not want us to help you find a solution? If that's the case, I feel your pain, it is a sucky situation.

Comment

This thread has not progressed anywhere now in 39 posts. Bottom line, Jerry does not like the Dell warranty terms, others have suggested options, Jerry does not like the options either.

Hard to believe this drags on and on........

Comment

Blame it on Covid-19 and too much free time. "Idle hands are the tools of the Devil"

Yes, I found the source for individual keys and replacement keyboards, as well as the video of the replacement process. I replaced keyboards on two of my old laptops, and they were only about $10 each and just popped out and in which took maybe 10 minutes. Of course Jerry's machine is a fancy gaming computer with backlight keys, so it's a lot more trouble.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Computer is not too "fancy", as it was relatively inexpensive compared to similar performance elsewhere. And, having seen the video that Paul linked, it is put together cheaply, with staked (melted) plastic studs in certain places instead of screws.

It is obvious that the entire top of the case with keyboard and input pad is intended to be replaced as a unit, since the keyboard and pad seem to be staked to it. (or at least we think so, the video is of a different model of same G3 family.)

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                          This thread has not progressed anywhere now in 39 posts. Bottom line, Jerry does not like the Dell warranty terms, others have suggested options, Jerry does not like the options either.

Hard to believe this drags on and on........
                          No....

Jerry thinks Dell warranty is "punishment" when it comes to non-catastrophic issues, and that folks who are less techie would have some real issues with it...in terms of cost to take them up on the warranty due to Dell "policy".

Jerry LIKES and will CERTAINLY do at least one of the suggestions, not sure which, when the warranty runs out and he would be no longer throwing away a warranty that could cover something major. Jerry thinks he can deal with a screwy key for a while more to avoid the "punishing terms" of the warranty.

Jerry APPRECIATES the leads that Paul S provided, but is not in a position to follow up on them at present per the preceding.

Jerry also knows that replacing the keyboard cannot be done without leaving very obvious warranty-voiding traces (requires melting off plastic studs, etc), so it is definitely not something to be done now.

If Jerry finds that the computer does something major, he will certainly turn it in for repair. The hassle is out of proportion for the benefit at present which is what sparked this to begin with. (it seemed very simple until they mentioned time and wiping machine, etc).

Jerry DID mention that, but has been bombarded with solutions that were already covered.

Paul S is the winner.... he has the most on-target suggestions, which are considered to be quite helpful and useful. Paul S gets the prize of the day, which is appreciative mention on the thread!

But then, Paul is an engineer, and so has a problem-solving approach..... That usually does best.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 06-15-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Paul!! You're the winner!!!! Jerry deems you worthy!!!

Comment

Jerry, do you really need to keep repeating the same things over and over and over ???? 3 pages later its a pretty safe bet everyone understands your displeasure with Dells warranty and your feelings on the other options !

But..... somehow, based on history, I suspect the repetition will continue ......

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                                But..... somehow, based on history, I suspect the repetition will continue ......
                                That's right, Sparky - those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. You've won.

I, however, will not repeatedly refer to myself in the third person

Comment

Working...
                                X