OT- Contract Free Cellular Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Contract Free Cellular Service

Looking to change from Consumer Cellular. Don't want a contract type service. Plus, I want to use my own phone, so a service I can plug in a SIM card and go. Recommendations?

Look into Google fi

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      Look into Google fi
      I've had their service for about 5 years now. Couldn't be happier with it. Never had any connection issues. Their tech service is great too,
      no being put on hold or wait time. You call and a live person answers the phone. And believe me..... I'm no fan of Google. My average monthly bill is about $28 unless I use over my 10gb data plan then I get charged for what I use over that, a couple bucks or so.

JL................

Comment

Don't all the majors now offer month-to-month? We use T-Mobile and we certainly don't have a contract. We travel internationally a lot and T-Mobile doesn't charge for mobile data up to 5Gbytes/month so we use them despite some network weaknesses.

In general, you need to decide if you're more of a city person or country person. If you're a city person, you can use anyone. But out in the sticks many networks have lots of holes. T-Mobile goes to T-Maybe, for example.

metalmagpie

Comment

I have used Tracfone for years. Bring your own phone if you like. Dirt cheap, but customer service is poor. For my purposes, it doesn't matter. I buy one year's service at a time. Minutes and data carry over.

RWO

Comment

"5Gbytes/month"????? You can't even watch one movie on that. I have unlimited through AT&T. They do start to throttle a little after, I think, 20Gb/week or something like that. I use my phone as a hot spot for my PC when there's high internet traffic. It's blistering fast! Otherwise, what does this have to do with machining?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              "5Gbytes/month"????? You can't even watch one movie on that. I have unlimited through AT&T. They do start to throttle a little after, I think, 20Gb/week or something like that. I use my phone as a hot spot for my PC when there's high internet traffic. It's blistering fast! Otherwise, what does this have to do with machining?
              Apples and oranges. T-Mobile is unlimited too, worldwide, if you're on wifi. The limit comes when you're on mobile data i.e. over the telephone network.

Comment

I'm not talking about wifi. I thought we were talking CELL Service. I have one of the worst ISP. I have to have an antenna pointed to a water tower to get the internet. I can use my phone as a hot spot for my PC (internet). But I thought I said that already.

Comment

I have friends that have had good luck with Straight Talk.

Comment

I dunno if you can carry over the SIM or your number but I've been doing OK with Walmarts cheapest Family Mobile flip phone. Phone cost $30, and the monthly refill is about $30. The actual network they use is T-mobile. You can buy the refills at Walmart or online.

I don't use any data or anything on it, for me its just a big-button phone. If I want Data thats what I got hi-speed cable for.
                    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-12-2020, 06:07 PM. Reason: details
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

My whole family is now on Redpocket Mobile. They resell all the networks, though Verizon is more expensive. The wife and I have 500min/500text/500mb for $10/mo each. My kids have unlimited texts/calls and 3gb for $20. We're all in wifi so much that we rarely need more, using expensive network data to watch a movie seems stupid, and if we need to add more data it's easy. They have a variety of monthly or yearly plans. Customer service is good but usually has a longish wait, but the price and service has made us very happy. I know people literally spending 10x what I am on their phone service.
                      Last edited by gellfex; 06-12-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

If you have Comcast (Xfinity) internet you can get Xfinity Mobile (unlimited talk and text $12/gig or $45 unlimited). Bring your own I phone or buy one of theirs. I'm happy with it. Good coverage as I travel across the country. Can share the data across up to 5 phones.

Mike

Comment

I'm not a big phone user and we have a land line. But for travel and long distance we have a AT&T GoPhone. We got it back when you could get a 10 cent a minute deal. We prepay $25 for 90 days and if we don't use up the $25 at the end of 90 days it rolls over into the next 90 days. You do have to renew every 90 days or you loss any credit you have. We have it automatically renew and charged to our credit card so we don't miss the renewal and loose our rollover. To give you a idea of how much we use it, I think we have $250 credit on it now.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                          Oregon Coast

Comment

I had T-Moblle pay as you go for years, plenty cheap, but cell coverage was horrible. Dropped calls and no service happened regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                              I had T-Moblle pay as you go for years, plenty cheap, but cell coverage was horrible. Dropped calls and no service happened regularly.
                              My cell go phone is a Nokia and I use AT&T, I get excellent coverage and I don't ever remember it dropping a call. It has a camera,, wifi, bluetooth, email and in internet sharing. The best think about it is, it only cost like $50.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                              Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                              X