OT - squirrels are eating my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - squirrels are eating my truck

I have squirrels getting into my truck's engine compartment. They've chewed the hell out of it. The truck is at the dealership now and I can only imagine what the cost is going to be.

How do I prevent this? They didn't eat the previous truck, this is a new one and they seem to really like it - this is the 2nd time in under a year. The first time I thought "maybe it was damaged before I owned it". This time there's no question.

Help please!

Pepper spray the undercarriage and engine compartment?
    Give it a good soaking.

Comment

Spray the engine compartment and anything else that needs it with Glade Air Freshener in Apple Cinnamon scent. Works in the attic too.
      Last edited by Toolguy; 06-12-2020, 04:14 PM.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Does this work for mice too? I have repaired wiring harness on my truck more than once due to mice eating wires.

Comment

I don't know about mice. Cheap to try.
          Kansas City area

Comment

It's the soy based insulation that attracts mice to the wiring. Honda actually came out with a wire wrap tape infused with
            capsaicin in order to deter rodents. Kind of a PIA to incorporate when a shot of pepper spray now and then works just as well.

Bounce dryer sheets in the car are also very effective since they hate the smell of them as much as I do.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Keep it garaged. If I could afford a new truck that where I would keep it.
              Or sit outside with your squirrel gun and blast 'em. Sooner or later the whole squirrel clan will get the message.

Comment

One of the first thing our new neighbor told me when we first moved to Oregon was: there was a problem of Rats trying to make nests on the engines of his car and truck. We are only a 1/2 block from the Alsea bay and rats seem to like the area. It didn't take long before I found rat droppings on and around the engine of my pickup After doing some research on the computer, I found a article that suggested tying Clothes dryer fabric softener sheets to some of piping and wires under the hood. I did and the rat problem went away. the rats don't like the smell of the sheets. 19 years later, I still change out the dryer sheets about every 6 month's and the rat poop problem and gone away,
                It is a cheap fix and it might help you with your squirrel problem.
                Last edited by lugnut; 06-12-2020, 01:21 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

The nesting thing is a whole other issue than the eating the wiring thing. I find it totally amazing and idiotic that they'd continue to use insulation that is a food to the vermin. It's just inviting the issue of the wiring being eaten and causing majorly expensive repairs or even fires.

It's like a few decades back when I heard of someone trying to push for renewable and natural options to foam plastic. At first thought the idea of packing delicate items in popcorn sounded like a good idea. But about a half second later my mind said "Wait a second..... " Apparently the rest of the world had the same obvious follow on to this idea.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                    The nesting thing is a whole other issue than the eating the wiring thing..
                    It is indeed, however rodents including those cute little chipmunks and squirrels do not frequent places they find smelly. Pepper spray and dryer sheets are a definite deal breaker when in comes to dining or living quarters.

Unfortunately cars and trucks make a tempting shelter or an easy snack and unfortunately car makers have known about the soy based wiring insulation issue for way too long and Honda's wire wrap solution mentioned earlier is an insult.
                    So it's either pepper spray or dryer sheets.
                    Well I suppose one could keep either Fluffy or a snake in the car, but then that idea is about as half baked as Honda's solution.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I had to store my daughter s mini Cooper for about a year for her, outside. Under a pine tree. I put a tarp over it, threw a half dozen Warfarin blocks under it, replaced them when I couldn't see them anymore, and didn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        The nesting thing is a whole other issue than the eating the wiring thing. I find it totally amazing and idiotic that they'd continue to use insulation that is a food to the vermin. It's just inviting the issue of the wiring being eaten and causing majorly expensive repairs or even fires.

It's like a few decades back when I heard of someone trying to push for renewable and natural options to foam plastic. At first thought the idea of packing delicate items in popcorn sounded like a good idea. But about a half second later my mind said "Wait a second..... " Apparently the rest of the world had the same obvious follow on to this idea.
                        I totally agree. But until it becomes a major expense for the mfg. to keep replacing wiring harnesses under warranty, and I don't see how any warranty would cover this, but eventually there will be a class action law suit which will cost the company millions plus millions more if they have to do a recall for all these vehicles that used "rodent food" for wire insulation.

Note to self.......the wire insulation was made in China.

JL..................

Comment

I will say it again, Dryer sheets keeps the little buggers away. 😁

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                          Oregon Coast

Comment

https://www.squirrelgard.com/2012/11...ad-pipe-jacks/

Gophers are big chewers on insulated wiring buried in the ground. Big problem with 24 volt, flow meter signals in oil fields under secondary water floods across West Texas and New Mexico.

Comment

In Africa 50 years ago, wiring was rodent and bug proofed.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X