Deburing holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deburing holes

I'm taking a break. My next step is to debur some holes- I have a couple dozen that are in the middle of some 1 inch square tubing. A third of those are 1/2 inch, and it's a fairly hefty burr. After I eat I'm going to work out a way of dealing with this. These tubes are 8 ft long, so I'd only have to reach in a bit over 4 ft to hit all the holes from the inside. Anybody have a favorite method? Glue a file to a stick and shove it down the tube?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Here is your answer:
    https://www.noga.com/Products/rvcn/R...SIBLE_-_RC2000
    Video demonstration here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk396dq63rk
    Made in a range of sizes. They stick through the hole and deburr it from the backside. Kind of like a toggle bolt. The deburr blade retracts so you can get the tool in and out.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-12-2020, 09:43 PM.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Just on a whim, I found a motorcycle spoke and ground away half the thickness of it at the bent end. The hook was just enough to span the hole with a bit of the hook inside. That worked not too badly. Of course the steel of the spoke isn't hard enough to maintain a cutting edge, but I reground it a few times until it got the job done. I alternated with this, and with the step drill I used in the first place to make the holes. Touched up the holes with a rat tail file and they're good to go. There will be a lot of wires inside the nearly 50 ft in total of this tubing, so I don't need anything in there that would damage the insulation.

Dealing with the 2 dozen 8-32 tapped holes will be a little more difficult. They don't have to be cleaned flush, just have all the sharp points knocked off. In my favor is the fact that none of them is opposite the weld seam. I'm going to try the file on a stick thing- with two sticks. One stick will be tapered at one end, so if I lay them together I can use one to wedge the other.

This might be where some of that lead would come in handy- I could lay a strip of lead opposite the file- at least it would put some pressure against it while I drag the stick back and forth. I have the file segment epoxied to a stick right now, so I'll just try that first.

Those deburring tools look pretty interesting- I think I have something similar to that here- it's the male version though, not the female. I'll have to look into carving a special interior deburring cutter to fit it.

I looked for my 45 degree boring bar from the Unimat- haven't found it yet. It probably would have worked somehow.
      Last edited by darryl; 06-12-2020, 11:22 PM.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If I had a lot to do down the length of a tube (square or round), I'd probably make a plug to pull down the tube and shear the burrs. You'd just have to come up with a way to hold the tube and pull the plug. The last time I did it, I used my lathe and pulled a threaded plug through with a threaded rod held in a drill chuck. But, mine wasn't as long as yours.

Comment

Ha! now that worked slicker than salmon snot. I just finished filing off all the holes. I flipped them end for end and filed them again, just for kicks, ran the tap through all the holes to clean them, and levelled them all off on the outside too.

This worked so well, I'll share my 'trick'- I had the two strips of mdf already 3/4 wide and 3/8 thick. I cut two inches off the end of a square file and epoxied it to the end of one stick, with the narrow end facing down the stick. Bottom stick is tapered. I insert the stick with the file on it, then shove the other one under it. The upward pressure against the file bends the top stick slightly, allowing the file to level itself against the material. Then drag it towards me, pull the bottom stick, insert the upper stick, push the bottom stick in a bit further, drag again. This is one of those things that just took me three times as long to type about as to actually do.

Comment

When I was working, the firm bought everyone a Noga style deburring tool with a variety of blades. I have found some on ebay UK as an illustration, these are expensive, but it would not be very hard to make your own. I find it easy to sharpen them if the shape is one of the scarce ones, otherwise the common cheap clones just get chucked away when they are blunt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noga-Debu...s/254302889886

Comment

Working...
            X