No announcement yet.

What is this thing ?? a press??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1948 Plymouth had the tapered rear axles. Yo could buy a tool that was threaded the same as the axle. You took off the nut and threaded on the tool until it bottomed out tightly. Then use a large hammer to hit the tool. Usually on hit and the drum was loose on the taper. Remove the tool and then lift the drum off. A memory from 1959 and my first car.

Comment

I think it's a wine press. In the old days you'd make a flat on a log with a two edged axe, then you'd use some square headed lag bolts to hold this thing down. Get the mini barrel under there and press them grapes- or potatoes- whatever you had. 100 lbs of yeast and some copper line-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Way back in my teen years, I had a 1952 Studebaker Convertible. It had those tapered axle shafts and you needed a puller like the one shown to get the rear brake drums off. Took me a long time to find someone who had one that I could borrow to change my brakes.
        Now I have one of those pullers that hangs on my shop wall and has never been used since I've owned it. But if I ever need one, I have it. 😉

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast

Comment

Snap-On seems to think they're worth a bit;
          https://dpequip.net/shop/other/snap-...ggg-p-643-ty4/
          Len

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            I think it's a wine press. In the old days you'd make a flat on a log with a two edged axe, then you'd use some square headed lag bolts to hold this thing down. Get the mini barrel under there and press them grapes- or potatoes- whatever you had. 100 lbs of yeast and some copper line-
            Whoooaaa,,,,"a wine press" ??
            when you say 'copper line', you done gone waaaay beyond a wine press !!!

Comment

Yep, a hub puller. Thankfully they were beginning to not be needed when I was a young mechanic. Still, I had to encounter one or two. Good old days.

Sarge41

Comment

I'm surprised that there are three legs, rather than four. They would do ok on a hub with five studs, but not so well on four stud hubs. I suppose that only two of the legs would be used on four stud types.The only three stud types are Smart cars and some of the older French cars. I used to borrow a Picavant hydraulic puller from the local garage to get my hubs off the taper back in the old days.

Comment

I've used one- hub/drum remover for AMC and Mopar cars. Not fun.

Comment

My 46 Jeep had tapered axles on the rear. That would be an early impact wrench for pulling the hubs/drums.

Comment

I had one of those pullers for many years. It was in original cardboard box, clean in never used condition. Kept it always thinking I might find some other use for it beyond its intended use. Never did so finally gave it away.

Saw the identical one at a Saturday car-guy garage sale for 5 bucks also in unused condition. They appear to be a tool with some other use, but never found it in 25 years of ownership.

Comment

Definitely a puller. Specific use is up to the user--Gear, wheel, axle, etc. That's some really nice "knockers"! I bet your dad bragged about those.

Comment

If you didn't have one of these pullers and had to remove a brake drum you could loosen the retaining nut on the axle and drive the car around the block. This would usually loosen the tapered joint enough to remove the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by Canus View Post
                            If you didn't have one of these pullers and had to remove a brake drum you could loosen the retaining nut on the axle and drive the car around the block. This would usually loosen the tapered joint enough to remove the drum.

I used to loosen the nut, place scissor jacs on each side between the drum and spring, crank them out to apply pressure, then smack the nut with a mini maul. normally only took one good hit

Comment

Working...
                            X