Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American History Arrives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • American History Arrives

    The December 1941 built Monarch has landed. Has been an epic effort to get this colossus from New York to Arizona during these times but we got it done. Was a running machine so looks like a big clean up (came with its own chips), some overall maintenance and a 10 HP VFD to get her running. Came with plenty of extras and a full tank of cutting oil on board As I said before once I fly west she will be going to a museum to retire. If you have any Sherman tank parts that need making let me know Cheers!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    What a beauty and looks well tooled up too.
    West Sussex UK

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow you did good. Nice job!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
        Wow you did good. Nice job!
        Thanks! I am sure it has done a few good jobs as well!
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

          Thanks! I am sure it has done a few good jobs as well!
          I'm just glad to see a chunk of Buffalo saved. The Navy had extensive facilities around here during the War, much of my better tooling is surplus from that time.

          The employees of the plant where the lathe came from, were told as recently as 2 years ago that their jobs weren't going anywhere.....

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm sure you are glad to finally have it home. Great machine built just in time to go to war. Have fun with it.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

            Lewis Grizzard

            Comment


            • #7
              That's a great looking machine,always nice once it's sitting on the concrete.I see Forks on lift truck aren't certified,I got new ones and did exact same thing once holes are drilled in the ends.I use those holes all the time

              Comment


              • #8
                That's gonna be sweet once she's cleaned up a bit. We have a Hendey at work the same vintage, came from Naval Ordinance at the Washington Naval Yard.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                  That's a great looking machine,always nice once it's sitting on the concrete.I see Forks on lift truck aren't certified,I got new ones and did exact same thing once holes are drilled in the ends.I use those holes all the time
                  Holes in the fork tips should be mandatory from the mfg.😃
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                    I'm just glad to see a chunk of Buffalo saved. The Navy had extensive facilities around here during the War, much of my better tooling is surplus from that time.

                    The employees of the plant where the lathe came from, were told as recently as 2 years ago that their jobs weren't going anywhere.....
                    Looks like this machine worked for Budd Company along its time line. Found a metal tag with Budd and machine number on it. Some great history here I think. Will post more details as I dive in. And yes corporate American and the elite don't give two s**ts about us lowly serfs. Home Depot did the same thing in the south.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

                      Looks like this machine worked for Budd Company along its time line. Found a metal tag with Budd and machine number on it. Some great history here I think. Will post more details as I dive in. And yes corporate American and the elite don't give two s**ts about us lowly serfs. Home Depot did the same thing in the south.
                      That kind of thing has been going on since the 1980's... I'll just shut up about it now before I go off on an all-day political rant. Would like to say, I bought my main vise at a once well-known flea market here. Its a great big Prentiss stamped " USN ord. 1942 F11150" meaning that it was an ordnance works vise on frigate 1150 in 1942. I talked the seller down to $2 per pound and it still took my whole paycheck at the time... I've had over 1200 lbs dead weight in it (a chemical tank being welded) and had 250-lb guys stand on the handle..... it doesn't budge.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Does anyone know what color this lathe is? I believe its called Machine Green but I can't find it in brush type only spray. It has to be some off the shelf color so does anyone know where to find it in say quarts? Grainger has it in spray cans. I guess I can have it color matched but don't really have a super good sample.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've heard "machine green" is the same as "vista green" (common on Bridgeports) and very close to "OSHA green". I bet if you walk into a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin-Williams they could recommend something. Or pop off one of the covers, clean it, and then take it into aforementioned shops for a color match.

                          You'll never be able to reproduce the patina that the past 79 years has produced, though. That's a beautiful machine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It looks like a sort of hammertone finish, which may be hard to duplicate. And it seems to be still in pretty good condition. So I wonder if it would be good try just a really good cleaning, maybe with something like a "clay bar" treatment which is used on automobiles. And then apply a sealer.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              All I am going to do is touch up and paint some items that have pretty much lost all their paint. Just going to give it a good cleaning and redo the data plates. Not going to repaint just refresh. I am guessing it was gloss green but now is more matt gloss with oil soaked brown from the years so I don't think a color match is going to be very close. I figured if I could find whatever they used off the shelf it would be the closest match overall.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X