Z Axis tool setter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z Axis tool setter

Just bought a SPI Z Axis presetter, anyone have any experience with this tool? Is it adjustable?
    I would use it for setting the Z 0.000 to a lathe spindle stop or the back of soft jaw pockets, for only $150.00 there is not much to lose unless it causes me to bugger up a $2000.00 part (-:
    https://www.penntoolco.com/spi-heigh...SABEgLPQfD_BwE

We used them on our Horizontal Boring Mills (Bars) at work
    They are not adjustable , but set at a precise 2.0000 " contact dim.
    Not sure how you would use them in the lathe as I have never worked with a bar feeder.
    Rich

Edit:
    On a Bar, We mounted them on the surface of the Knee ( Angle Plate ie~) or manually set them on the part
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 06-13-2020, 08:15 PM.
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Place setter in chuck or collet against stop, touch off the cutting tool to the setter and you are 2" away from the stop, work shift the Z axis to 2"
      This only works on parts less then 2" long, I make thousands of such parts per year from saw cut stock.

Touching off an existing part without leaving a mark on the end would also be a primary use, hold the setter on the face of the part and touch it off and the face is 2" away.

I do not know how well these tools work or if they last more then a month, this is why I have asked..

Comment

Used it for the first time today, it was well within .001".
        Ground on all sides and has about .100" over travel, if it lasts a year it will be worth it.

Comment

I purchased one of those many years ago. Used it twice and now it sits in the instrument drawer (batteries removed). $75 + USPS Priority shipping and its yours.
          Ken

Comment

I can't see any advantage to using a pre-setter on a manual lathe. If you need to know the position of your tool simply
            touch off with the tool, make a light pass and set your DRO to zero. If you've got a newer DRO you can use it to set
            multiple datum points for various steps, etc...
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
              I can't see any advantage to using a pre-setter on a manual lathe. If you need to know the position of your tool simply
              touch off with the tool, make a light pass and set your DRO to zero. If you've got a newer DRO you can use it to set
              multiple datum points for various steps, etc...
              CNC lathes and mills. Used it first in a mill, tried it in a lathe today and it did not work because the lathes have Turcite inserts in the carriage ways, no electrical connection to the spindle.

Comment

Working...
              X