Brought a new lathe home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

2-1/8" bore, 7-1/2 hp D1 something camlock 14 x 48" I think and about 2400 lbs.

Thanks, I put power to it today, took me about 10 minutes of head scratching before I figured out how to switch it on. I was looking for a clutch handle, there isn't one, no push buttons either, then I noticed the pictograph next to the triangular box under the thread dial. Fwd-Neutral-Reverse switch right there. It's got an open in the safety interlock loop somewhere, because that switch is dead. I did manually close the relays on the main motor and so did get to hear it run, very quiet below 600 rpm and only some faint gear noise all the way up to 1800.
    2-1/8" bore will be handy D1-6 would be my guess,my 18x60 has same switching setup.When running in forward or reverse and Brake is applied you have to switch back to neutral before Motor will restart,maybe switch on foot brake is problem there may also be a switch on door were belt drive is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
      Does the DRO say "Wizard " on it ?
      I have a Anilam Wizard manual ----
      No serial numbers given in the manual
      My Anilam model number is 163-2000100 ??
      Rich
      It's a Wizard, but just says "Wizard-Lathe" on the front, the part number on back is 171-10000. It's got a membrane key pad on the front instead of the older push button type pad. Going through the manual listings on the Acu-rite website, it looks like they were revising the design every couple months back then.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

2-1/8" bore will be handy D1-6 would be my guess,my 18x60 has same switching setup.When running in forward or reverse and Brake is applied you have to switch back to neutral before Motor will restart,maybe switch on foot brake is problem there may also be a switch on door were belt drive is.
        Yes, I found the door switch and taped it closed, no joy though. I haven't got down and looked at the brake treadle to locate that switch yet, it was miserable hot out in that building today. I may look through a few Grizzly SB lathe manuals and see if any are similar to this one. It has a FWD/REV contractor set for the main motor, one for the coolant pump and a fourth one I haven't figured out yet. It might be a neutral interlock.

The bigger bore will be nice for sure.This lathe also does 27 and 11-1/2 tpi as standard on the thread chart, which oddly enough isn't included in the standard pitches most of the lathes I have ran have.

Comment

Super jealous, nice find. So, you paid $1000?

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
            Super jealous, nice find. So, you paid $1000?
            There about,there were a few other machines in the deal not mentioned that went to somebody else. The lathe was the bulk of the transaction.

Comment

Yep, all the later model Turnados were Taiwanese too. That was one reason I bought it, it has a lot in common with current production machines from the same mfg. If I remember right, most everything SB had to offer from the mid 70's on was made elsewhere for the most part, at a minimum the castings and in this case the whole machine.

The one SB I would like to find more info on is the 1307 toolroom machine. Always wondered if it was domestic in origin or import?

http://www.omnimachinetoolcorp.com/inv12.htm
              That looks identical to but smaller than a Clausing-Metosa lathe I had in the school shop, but I think was made in Spain instead of Taiwan.
              "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

It's a Wizard, but just says "Wizard-Lathe" on the front, the part number on back is 171-10000. It's got a membrane key pad on the front instead of the older push button type pad. Going through the manual listings on the Acu-rite website, it looks like they were revising the design every couple months back then.
                Mine is membrane covered as well
                Check your PM's
                Rich
                Green Bay, WI

Comment

What luck, you definitely deserve the YOU SUCK of the week award.

Comment

Little bit of an update, still looking for a manual for it, but it appears to have been made by the Spanish company Pinacho which later merged with Metosa- Now I just need to track them down.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. What Acu Rite series read outs does it have ?

JL...............

Comment

The ways look NEW.

Good score.

--Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Very nice. What Acu Rite series read outs does it have ?

JL...............
                          Honestly I'm still not sure, I haven't had enough time to look at it since it landed in the shop. Both the lathe and the DRO look to hail from about 1985ish, so I'm thinking maybe bad caps. I'll know more when I get a chance to open it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            The ways look NEW.

Good score.

--Doozer
                            From what I have seen it either is new, or very, very little used.

Comment

Working...
                            X