No announcement yet.

Making a key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine is into microscopes and says the correct tool is hard to come by, and often made from aluminum so it doesn't scratch the instrument. Here's an example (although this one is steel):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200614_195948.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	1881351

Comment

Every Nikon I have worked on is metric. That sounds like a 1.27mm.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADOW View Post
        Every Nikon I have worked on is metric. That sounds like a 1.27mm.
        1.27 mm? Odd. Funny thing, it sorta rings a bell with me. Lessee: 1.27 X 2 = 2.54.

Hmmm. Why does that number seem familiar?

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Strange but this metric set has some strage dimensions I supose there are sockets too
          engineer,engineer inc.,futaba,futaba tool mfg.,bag,trunk,attachecase,tool,case,ordercase,soldering,solder,pliers,nippers,screwdriver,driver,wrench,spanner,toolkit,tweezers,static,esd,wrist strap,extractor,microscope,kotelyzer,tester,multimeter,ccd,camera,loupe,magnifier,ceramic,alignment,reamer,saw,gloves,flux,aluminum,aluminium,imazato,osaka
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Here is how I made a small wrench from a socket cap screw. The hex is 2.5 mm. Maybe you can find and use a suitable hardened socket cap screw.

edit Click pic for full size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2443.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.9 KB ID:	1881489
            "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Well I gave this a shot this morning. The smallest allen head cap screw I had required a 2mm allen wrench. I had to turn down the head of the cap screw to 3.22mm so it would fit into the bore of the microscope turret. Unfortunately the allen key inside the turrent isn't 2mm, so I'll assume that my original somewhat accurate measurement was correct at 1.27mm (0.050"), guessing of course. Anyone know where I can buy a #0 maybe 1/2" long cap screw as shown in that chart I posted above? I wonder if they are somewhat common and I can pick one up at ACE Hardware?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Smokedaddy; 06-15-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

#2-56 set screw has a .050 hex.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF47 View Post
                  #2-56 set screw has a .050 hex.
                  I'm not totally bolt/screw savvy. Have a link?

Attached Files

Comment

Most hardware store have metric fasteners. Try a 2.5mm set screw.

Comment

Oops! 4-40 set screw has a .050” hex socket. My bad.

Comment

There is a link to a 1" SS 4-40 with .050 hex in post #5.
                        It seems likely that one can be obtained locally at a good hardware store.

Comment

This one has a .05 hex (3-48 set screw) The direct link does't work https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thre...type~headless/
                          McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                          Last edited by Noitoen; 06-16-2020, 11:26 AM.
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

As already mentioned, a 2.5mm grub screw (setscrew) has that elusive 1.27mm, (0.050") hexagon socket in it.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              As already mentioned, a 2.5mm grub screw (setscrew) has that elusive 1.27mm, (0.050") hexagon socket in it.
                              Not all, some are near enough but are 1.3mm. It seems strange for metric but you can get 1.6mm and 1.4mm screws. I suppose that small size they go in 0.1mm increments
                              Helder Ferreira
                              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Looks like the 0.050" didn't work. On another note. Anyone know of a accurate way of measuring the key? None of my calipers are able to reach the key in the turret. I tried using a gum eraser to get a impression but I'm not sure how accurate that method is. I used ImageJ to take a few measurements.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X