Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Microsoft solitaire game.....now they charge..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Microsoft solitaire game.....now they charge..

Microsoft originally provided a free solitaire game with their operating systems. Somewhere along they began charging for it. You could avoid paying if you opted for the random difficulty game with no guaranteed solution. That was fine with me. I enjoyed playing the game to relax.

Now, that category of game is still free. The catch is they now flood your computer with full screen ads that can be difficult to delete unless you pay.. I did find a way around the ads though, turn off internet before playing.

The whole issue of paying strikes me as very petty on Microsoft's part.

BTW: with the random difficulty, no guarantee of solution I haven't been able to get beyond 15% wins.

Probably started charging for it when you could get win10 for free

Comment

What flavor of Solitaire?
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I use: https://www.solitr.com/
        Free, but you need to be online, but that's OK with me. And no ads.
        Probably the NSA is tracking me.
        Last edited by KMoffett; 06-15-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

The nerve of some people (or companies)!! Trying to actually profit (one way or another) from something they've produced! What the world coming to?
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Don't you have a deck of cards? Cheap and no pop up ads.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Probably started charging for it when you could get win10 for free
              It's not really free. No other version of Windows has as many back reporting features of your browsing and work as Win 10. There's ways to turn off all of it but it takes quite a few steps. It's why I go to new and very random sites that post advertising to try to bring in money and find ads that are related strongly to me and my browsing. And why you likely see the same thing. We're "paying" for Win 10 Home Version by letting them monitor our search and buying histories.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Easy. Run an older version of windows in free virtual machine software, like virtual box. You need not ever give it permission to access a network. Done. Solved forever.

Comment

https://www.123freesolitaire.com/
                  Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                  http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Funny.
                    Solitare on the computer was originally developed
                    to help teach people how to use the mouse.
                    Now it is just another profit tool.

-Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Personally, I'm addicted to Spider. Someone went to the trouble of making the Windows 7 games playable on Win 10. And it's free.

https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1836
                      It's all mind over matter.
                      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Run the Solitaire from your old version of Windows:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-g...ack-windows-10

If you don't have an old version, I'm sure it's in one of the service packs from microsoft.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          Funny.
                          Solitare on the computer was originally developed
                          to help teach people how to use the mouse.
                          Now it is just another profit tool.

-Doozer
                          All around the world there was a Disturbance in the Farce.
                          As if millions of engineers suddenly cried out:
                          Because MS started charging for Solitaire.

...some moved on to Soduku on the iPad, and ace it routinely.
                          ...out of sheer boredom.
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                            The nerve of some people (or companies)!! Trying to actually profit (one way or another) from something they've produced! What the world coming to?
                            My objection is they offered the software free. Then without notice these ads popped up, and I'm not talking a small pop up ad. The first was total full screen (no taskbar, no address bar) ad for Wendy's junk food with no obvious way to stop or delete it, task manager would not work. Apparently they wanted you to watch the whole lengthy ad. The ad thing also loaded Norton anti-virus on my computer without my knowledge or permission.

It appears MS used techniques to invade my computer that most advertisers don't have. Basically they took control of my computer. Then at some point a line at the bottom of the screen says you can eliminate these ads by paying.

I just shut the computer off to get away from the ads.
                            Last edited by DR; 06-16-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

I just tried the Microsoft Solitaire Collection and played Klondike. I solved the Easy, Medium, and Hard, but then lost a couple Expert level. I just solved another Hard level and reached Klondike Level 4. There are also Master and Grand Master levels, and Random Draw, which warns that it might not be solvable. I haven't had to pay to play, and I haven't noticed any ads. So, what's the problem?
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X