• Show
Clear All

• Motor for home shop lathe.

Motor for home shop lathe.
    Just wanted to share...

-Doozer

DZER

And variable speed, at that!
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Now that's resourceful. I'd find it a bit noisy over the long term but still it's resourceful. And technically with a drill swap you could have a cordless lathe!

And I love the old thing that is on the other end of the belt. What brand and model is it?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Could be a *really old* Rivett or a Pratt&Whitney.... notice how the lead screw is under the center of the bed, with a hand crank on the end,almost like a giant watchmakers lathe... looks like desperate times call for desperate measures. However I am willing to bet the spindle bearings are absolutely beautiful in that thing.

EDIT: to add, maybe a Stark instrument maker's lathe, definitely pre-war. Noticed the dovetail bed.
        I actually wouldn't mind having that, but it would definitely get a different drive setup
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-15-2020, 12:24 PM.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Years ago the starter blew up on my 50 HP VERMEER road bore machine, the key stuck on the ON position and left the starter in gauged.
          I HAD to get it loaded, had another job the following day. No new starter to be found.
          i took the old one apart and turned the armature down to 1/2” loaded up generator and Milwaukee hole haug and went back.
          the drill would turn the motor over but not fast enough to get it lit. I was desperate to get going so I hit it with a little either and it busted off.

the next day I had a high profile job with inspectors on the job. I started the drill before I left the house. All was good till I forgot and shut it off.
          i told the foreman on the job to keep the inspector busy down the right of way. We drug out the generator and hole haug either and no one knew the difference.

Comment

Much better than using a hand crank.

Comment

Is that a tail stock quill DRO ??

Comment

If it is running properly, I would rather have the option to use the crank.
                Better than dragging a generator and a drill motor.
                Newer technology is not always better.

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

EDIT: to add, maybe a Stark instrument maker's lathe, definitely pre-war. Noticed the dovetail bed.
                  I actually wouldn't mind having that, but it would definitely get a different drive setup
                  Ya, but which war?😇
                  I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                  Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

Ya, but which war?😇
                    Hahahahah good question!
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                      If it is running properly, I would rather have the option to use the crank.
                      Better than dragging a generator and a drill motor.
                      Newer technology is not always better.

-Doozer
                      No option for hand crank on modern Diesel engine. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                        Years ago the starter blew up on my 50 HP VERMEER road bore machine, ...
                        i told the foreman on the job to keep the inspector busy down the right of way. ...
                        Why would the inspector care?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Why would the inspector care?
                          Pipeline inspectors are anal about safety. Any thing that is modified or altered is red tagged. I had to sign a paper that my machine wasn’t altered or modified.

i didn’t think I could ever put up with the rules they had but money talks making it very well worth it.

They got their bores done no one got hurt everyone was happy. 😎

Comment

I've started the Honda Lawnmower when the cord broke with a socket on a battery drill.

Comment

So we should all go back to foot treadle lathes?
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X