Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    One? How about two? My first drill was a 1/4" egg beater from the local dime store. I still have it and use it on occasion. On top of a ladder I can have two battery powered drills, a bit in one and a CS in the other for deburring. But that leaves the starter divot or hole and the old 1/4" comes out of the drawer.

Sometime later I got a two speed model with a 1/2" chuck. It is great in a lot of difficult situations and in low speed it really can turn a 1/2" bit in steel. But, of course, after the dawn of battery powered drills that actually worked, I found it less useful than the old 1/4" one. Still it is an old friend and I can not bring myself to depart from it.

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Please, not for that lathe. That particular model, before the advent of electric drill, used one of these

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    So we should all go back to foot treadle lathes?
    Please, not for that lathe. That particular model, before the advent of electric drill, used one of these

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    So we should all go back to foot treadle lathes?

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    I've started the Honda Lawnmower when the cord broke with a socket on a battery drill.

Leave a comment:

• true temper
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Why would the inspector care?
    Pipeline inspectors are anal about safety. Any thing that is modified or altered is red tagged. I had to sign a paper that my machine wasn’t altered or modified.

i didn’t think I could ever put up with the rules they had but money talks making it very well worth it.

They got their bores done no one got hurt everyone was happy. 😎

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by true temper View Post
    Years ago the starter blew up on my 50 HP VERMEER road bore machine, ...
    i told the foreman on the job to keep the inspector busy down the right of way. ...
    Why would the inspector care?

Leave a comment:

• true temper
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    If it is running properly, I would rather have the option to use the crank.
    Better than dragging a generator and a drill motor.
    Newer technology is not always better.

-Doozer
    No option for hand crank on modern Diesel engine. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. 😁

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

Ya, but which war?😇
    Hahahahah good question!

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

EDIT: to add, maybe a Stark instrument maker's lathe, definitely pre-war. Noticed the dovetail bed.
    I actually wouldn't mind having that, but it would definitely get a different drive setup
    Ya, but which war?😇

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    If it is running properly, I would rather have the option to use the crank.
    Better than dragging a generator and a drill motor.
    Newer technology is not always better.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Is that a tail stock quill DRO ??

Leave a comment:

• tech610
    replied
    Much better than using a hand crank.

Leave a comment:

• true temper
    replied
    Years ago the starter blew up on my 50 HP VERMEER road bore machine, the key stuck on the ON position and left the starter in gauged.
    I HAD to get it loaded, had another job the following day. No new starter to be found.
    i took the old one apart and turned the armature down to 1/2” loaded up generator and Milwaukee hole haug and went back.
    the drill would turn the motor over but not fast enough to get it lit. I was desperate to get going so I hit it with a little either and it busted off.

the next day I had a high profile job with inspectors on the job. I started the drill before I left the house. All was good till I forgot and shut it off.
    i told the foreman on the job to keep the inspector busy down the right of way. We drug out the generator and hole haug either and no one knew the difference.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Could be a *really old* Rivett or a Pratt&Whitney.... notice how the lead screw is under the center of the bed, with a hand crank on the end,almost like a giant watchmakers lathe... looks like desperate times call for desperate measures. However I am willing to bet the spindle bearings are absolutely beautiful in that thing.

EDIT: to add, maybe a Stark instrument maker's lathe, definitely pre-war. Noticed the dovetail bed.
    I actually wouldn't mind having that, but it would definitely get a different drive setup
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-15-2020, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Now that's resourceful. I'd find it a bit noisy over the long term but still it's resourceful. And technically with a drill swap you could have a cordless lathe!

And I love the old thing that is on the other end of the belt. What brand and model is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X