How to select insert holder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to select insert holder?

I have some kennametal tcmt3252lf inserts and I would like to get some 1/2" holders for them. Can someone guide me on this? I have other inserts as well that I'd like to get holders for

Use the chart here: http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-th-d.htm

Another method is to just search for TCMT32.5 and see which tools come up. The TCMT uses the simplest possible tool holder. A pocket milled across the end with one flat side and a hole for a screw. Not much to it.

TCMT325 should work with a tool holder designated.... STACR8 The R is right hand tool. Change it to L and you get Left hand tool. Change the A for type of shank. Good hunting!

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

latheinserts.com is a good place to look, just look for any tool holders that take tcmt3252. Reasonable prices there, decent quality.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Why would anyone buy inserts if they have no holder for them?

Explain this

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Explain this
          Maybe tooling up slowly, (like I did) or simply included with another purchase? Or just a good deal just in case you might need it someday?
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Explain this
            Maybe I got a bunch of inserts for almost nothing.

Comment

Let me copy and paste my post I initially published on PM at : https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...nserts-378303/

Here it is:

I noticed people asking how to match a known Kennametal insert to a toolholder. Guys (myself included) find inserts, but don't know what toolholders will work with them, and the Kennametal catalog is not too user friendly in this respect. I'd like to share a reply from a Kennametal application engineer. He is using VNGP431 insert as an example. Note that once you find matching Kennametal toolholders, you can use the numbers to find their analogs made by other manufacturers.

OK, here it goes.
              +++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So if you have a 2018 catalog or you can look it up on our web page you will take the insert VNGP 431 you will go past all of the inserts and when you get to the toolholders you will see a column that says “gage insert” that will show you the VN…431 or 432. The most important is the first two letters and the 4 that shows the IC of the insert IC inscribe circle the next number 3 tells you the thickness of the insert and the last number 1 or 2 is the radius. The other dimension that will be important is the “H” dimension. This tells you the size of the shank. .750 or 1.0, 1.25.

The other way is to go to the Kennametal website and download NOVO. Now if you download NOVO this is the easiest way.

You will go under search / quick search

Type in VNGP 431

You will see a list of insert you will select a grade and the click on create a new tool assembly.

You will come to a new page to add a tool just above the insert

It will show you all of the externa and internal tool holder that are available.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Explain this
                I did, they came in a toolbox load of stuff. I have at least a dozen each of several types, only one of which I have a holder for, and it is a type I got the fewest of, naturally......
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                  Let me copy and paste my post I initially published on PM at : https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...nserts-378303/

Here it is:

I noticed people asking how to match a known Kennametal insert to a toolholder. Guys (myself included) find inserts, but don't know what toolholders will work with them, and the Kennametal catalog is not too user friendly in this respect. I'd like to share a reply from a Kennametal application engineer. He is using VNGP431 insert as an example. Note that once you find matching Kennametal toolholders, you can use the numbers to find their analogs made by other manufacturers.

OK, here it goes.
                  +++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So if you have a 2018 catalog or you can look it up on our web page you will take the insert VNGP 431 you will go past all of the inserts and when you get to the toolholders you will see a column that says “gage insert” that will show you the VN…431 or 432. The most important is the first two letters and the 4 that shows the IC of the insert IC inscribe circle the next number 3 tells you the thickness of the insert and the last number 1 or 2 is the radius. The other dimension that will be important is the “H” dimension. This tells you the size of the shank. .750 or 1.0, 1.25.

The other way is to go to the Kennametal website and download NOVO. Now if you download NOVO this is the easiest way.

You will go under search / quick search

Type in VNGP 431

You will see a list of insert you will select a grade and the click on create a new tool assembly.

You will come to a new page to add a tool just above the insert

It will show you all of the externa and internal tool holder that are available.
                  What if I have inserts with no ID? Can I match the holder using measurements? Thanks

Comment

I have been known to buy job lots of inserts on ebay, and have done very well. You have to have an idea of what will be useful, although I have made holders for some mystery shapes. Most of the big names make some proprietary shapes, which only fit their holders and have meaningless codes. The Carbide Depot have several very useful charts and other information, well worth saving in your browser favorites:

http://www.carbidedepot.com/resources.htm

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

What if I have inserts with no ID? Can I match the holder using measurements? Thanks
                      Yes, you can. The only trick is to determine what to measure for "size". On the ANSI charts it's the inscribed circle. It helps to know that ANSI inserts are measured in 1/8 inch increments, although partial sizes can be found too. If you were not a math major, the inscribed circle (IC) of a triangle is the largest circle contained in the triangle; it touches the three sides. In other words, if you place the shaft of a 3/8 drill on a triangular insert, the drill will touch all 3 sides. A TCMT32.5 will be triangular, 3/8 IC, and 2.5 eighths thick. The sides (relief) will be 7 degrees.

All that came from the charts at http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

You can match the standard ANSI and the ISO equivalent shapes using the charts. You can practice with any that have the identifying codes with them. Some will be impossible to identify, see my post #10.

Comment

Working...
                        X