No announcement yet.

Specific Name For This Type Fastener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many of them, don't ask me for the brand names, come with two small holes in the outside flange and a small spanner wrench in the package that fits in those holes. This is to allow you to keep the molly from rotating in the drywall while trying to expand the support wings. But even that did not make their installation fool proof. Many times they spun in the drywall anyway and it was necessary to use a second hole location: thank heavens all the drapery rod brackets had three holes. I do not recommend the mollies. As I already said, the screw in anchors are a lot better.

And they, the screw in types, can be removed if the wall is being re-done. Just unscrew them and a dab of plaster and the hole is gone. Not so easy with the mollies: you have to bash them into the wall with a hammer and then repair a much bigger hole.

Originally posted by old mart View Post
    I wasn't impressed by the Rawlplug instructions for fitting these anchors, see link in post #11. If you follow the instructions, the lot will come loose.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 06-20-2020, 06:28 PM.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      And they, the screw in types, can be removed if the wall is being re-done. Just unscrew them and a dab of plaster and the hole is gone. Not so easy with the mollies: you have to bash them into the wall with a hammer and then repair a much bigger hole.
      What??
      You drill drill into the face of the anchor with the same sized bit you used for the hole, The face (disc) separates from the body, push the body into the wall cavity, fill the 0.25 hole.

Comment

I just drive them in a bit with a hammer, leaving a dimple, then fill with joint compound. No need to make a hole.

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

What??
          You drill drill into the face of the anchor with the same sized bit you used for the hole, The face (disc) separates from the body, push the body into the wall cavity, fill the 0.25 hole.
          That's the way I've removed them in the past. Not with the same size bit used for the hole, use a bit that is slightly larger then the screw. It works fine as long as the entire thing doesn't spin. The only thing that is keeping it from spinning are the two little prongs on the flange that bight into the sheet rock.

The size I'm using requires a 3/8" hole and has a 3/16" screw. I just need to find one for a 3/4" plaster wall.

JL................
          Last edited by JoeLee; 06-20-2020, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
            I just drive them in a bit with a hammer, leaving a dimple, then fill with joint compound. No need to make a hole.

-js
            When you do that on a 1/2" sheet rock wall between studs let me know how it works out.

JL.............

Comment

I haven't really removed a lot of them. I was just going by what I saw some "professional" plasters doing. They made a lot of actual holes.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

The Molley type of anchor cannot rotate when fitting if you use the proper tool, see my link in post #8.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  When you do that on a 1/2" sheet rock wall between studs let me know how it works out.

JL.............
                  Ummm, between studs is where one would use a molly bolt, n'est-ce-pas?

No problem with 1/2" drywall, it's just a gentle tap with the hammer. No need to use both hands. I wouldn't try it with 1/4" drywall (yes, it does exist, I've got some in my house).

-js
                  There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Working...
                  X