Drag Harrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Harrow

Thought I would show some pics of a 3-point Drag Harrow I designed and built for a friend a couple years ago. For the non-farmers out there, these are used after the ground has been fit down with a disc, to bust up clods and smooth things out before seeding/landscaping. Most folks around here these days use them for smoothing out Horse arenas or finishing off a house lot before laying grass sod.

This is the second one of this size (7 foot wide) I have built , the one prior was 16 feet wide and a folder. The drag is suspended from 4 pieces of 3/8 hi-test chain so it floats. It takes me about 5 hours to put one of these together, being built out of angle iron and flatbar means everything can be sheared instead of saw cut. The tines are reused railroad spikes located over a 7/8" punched hole and welded in through the hole. Fabricating implements is getting to be a good side gig for me, I've got one guy wanting a 10 foot version and another wanting a rotary basket version made to fit a skid steer.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Nice job. That's a lot of work to get done in 5 hours.

Comment

I have a smaller version (4' wide) of this basic design. The exceptions are the spikes have two positions, trailing for smoothing and facing forward for roughing and are rotated with a handle on top of the drag. It's connected as a drag (no 3 point attachment) so it's a pain to deal with and not very effective at smoothing or roughing. I can see where your design would work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
        I have a smaller version (4' wide) of this basic design. The exceptions are the spikes have two positions, trailing for smoothing and facing forward for roughing and are rotated with a handle on top of the drag. It's connected as a drag (no 3 point attachment) so it's a pain to deal with and not very effective at smoothing or roughing. I can see where your design would work much better.
        This one is reversible too, just four bolts and the hitch can be flipped around. Pins would probably be faster though.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Nice job,with it reversed would make a great root picker just lift to unload.We picked a lot of roots with a 50' set of Hyd Harrows when we were cleaning up freshly cleared land.

Comment

Working...
          X