No announcement yet.

Lubricant / cutting fluid for aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a saved fragment of an old post to r.c.m. by a guy I have a lot of respect for:

I have been saying this for several years now and will continue until the
    entire world sees the light of day. The best cutting fluid for aluminum bar none
    is industrial strength Citrus based solvent. I don't care what brand. The one I
    use is made by ZEP and is called Big orange. The active ingredient is D-
    Limonene and is extracted from orange lemon lime and grapefruit skins. It is the
    same stuff in Fast orange hand cleaner and all the citrus based cleaners. The
    greater the percentage of active ingredient the better. Big orange is 98% D-
    Limonene. Take Off ( a floor cleaning solvent) is 45% and is available from
    Asplund Cleaning Supply. Big Orange works better than any industrial aluminum
    cutting fluid I have ever used and smells great. It is also extremely safe
    biodegradeable and water soluble. The **** just works great. Try it and you will
    not go back.

I use it for tapping cutting drilling sawing milling and turning. Just keep some
    in a small pump spray bottle. Squirt a little on the cutting edge as you cut.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
      Here is a saved fragment of an old post to r.c.m. by a guy I have a lot of respect for:

I have been saying this for several years now and will continue until the
      entire world sees the light of day. The best cutting fluid for aluminum bar none
      is industrial strength Citrus based solvent. I don't care what brand. The one I
      use is made by ZEP and is called Big orange. The active ingredient is D-
      Limonene and is extracted from orange lemon lime and grapefruit skins. It is the
      same stuff in Fast orange hand cleaner and all the citrus based cleaners. The
      greater the percentage of active ingredient the better. Big orange is 98% D-
      Limonene. Take Off ( a floor cleaning solvent) is 45% and is available from
      Asplund Cleaning Supply. Big Orange works better than any industrial aluminum
      cutting fluid I have ever used and smells great. It is also extremely safe
      biodegradeable and water soluble. The **** just works great. Try it and you will
      not go back.

I use it for tapping cutting drilling sawing milling and turning. Just keep some
      in a small pump spray bottle. Squirt a little on the cutting edge as you cut.
      That sounds like an ideal cutting fluid - non-toxic, pleasnt smelling, and effective! I just looked around for that stuff and Zep has many different products, and no way to tell percentages of D-Lim (no info on SDS), But looking online I found you can buy straight D-Limonene, thinking to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

Does it really matter if it's food-grade or not? Safe to eat and handle may not mean safe to breathe in the smoke and mist. Not saying you are wrong, I just don't know.
        You could be right. I watched a documentary a while back about vaping. All the fancy new flavours they've been coming up with are obviously food-safe but they've been tested to be safe if you put them in your stomach, not your lungs. They did tests on blowing the vape 'smoke' over sample of lung cells and counted how many survived. Turns out that some of the food-safe additives certainly seem to be less 'lung-safe' than others.

Also found out the hard way that chlorinated oils (which to be fair to the OP's question, aren't normally aimed at aluminium as far as I'm aware) tend to cause rust on even decent steels if not cleaned off.

Comment

If you have to make a large number of parts water soluble flood coolant is the ticket for turning and milling, tapping and broaching will benefit from a specific cutting fluid.
          Hangsterfer makes execllent products for this application.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...SABEgIbk_D_BwE

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol.

Comment

Working...
            X