No announcement yet.

Dura-Bar vs Versa-Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you take charge of the narrative and after noting the Durabar market share, ask about Versabar as a competing product and if it represents any competitive risk. I've interviewed thousands of people over the past 45 years... I really like candidates that interact intelligently and flip the questions around to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

I guessing you have never machined Durabar. I use the 40ksi and 80ksi products, and it does not produce the "dust and grit" of crappy cast iron. On my mill I get perfect chips that are little curls, and similarly on my lathe. Vacs up nicely.

As for "messes" (cleanup), the worst in my shop is machining PVDF and/or many other plastics, and for metal... wads of aluminum chips caked on with coolant or light oils. Then there is stainless needle swarf/chips...
      Yep. Durabar makes the most beautiful little pile of "9" curls. Super easy to clean up and a beauty to machine.

Comment

Cleaning up cast iron swarf is not so bad when you are making more money running your own machine than anyone would ever pay you.
        it's still making money..

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Yep. Durabar makes the most beautiful little pile of "9" curls. Super easy to clean up and a beauty to machine.
          noooo... they are 6's. 😁😁

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

noooo... they are 6's. 😁😁
            So, maybe he's on the other side of the equator?
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

The guys on PM were right to get on OP's case. A quick internet search would have shown that Dura Bar was continuous cast metal and Versa Bar is strut. OP is wasting time on both forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
                The guys on PM were right to get on OP's case. A quick internet search would have shown that Dura Bar was continuous cast metal and Versa Bar is strut. OP is wasting time on both forums.
                A quick internet search shows me that Versa Bar is also continuous cast. https://www.versa-bar.com/
                For me the only real question is if either one would quote me for less than online metals. Most guys here like Midwest, but I have no experience with them.

Comment

Well I didn't see his post on PM, but there was certainly nothing in his introductory post here that should have ruffled any feathers. He was very civil and courteous, and forthcoming about his purpose. If you're not inclined to help someone, that doesn't mean you need to go out of your way to throw out some snotty response, or intentionally offend.

And who knows, maybe he ends up in some key power position at Dura-bar, with the means to help or hurt any past detractors. ...how's it go? "what goes around, comes around..."
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                    Well I didn't see his post on PM, but there was certainly nothing in his introductory post here that should have ruffled any feathers.
                    As I recall the issue on PM was around not disclosing initially that it was for job interview research. Is that enough to get upset about? Probably not, could have been an disingenuous our just a simple omission...otoh if you spent a bunch time on it thinking you were helping someone on a machining problem, the omission probably deserved an apology. Thats my take, but really, life is short
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

A quick internet search shows me that Versa Bar is also continuous cast. https://www.versa-bar.com/
                      For me the only real question is if either one would quote me for less than online metals. Most guys here like Midwest, but I have no experience with them.
                      I don't recall seeing ANY cast iron on Midwest's website. I buy from Midwest regularly. Usually a couple times per month.
                      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Nickel City, Thanks for pointing out there is another Versa Bar. My search only showed the strut.

Comment

Working...
                        X