Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that give you Inspiration

Br0thers...

I often find things that give me inspiration motivate me to keep going.
    Sometimes its a memory of what a person did or said or showed me.
    Sometimes its a part of a movie I saw - even as far back as a kid.
    It may not even be a movie related to the field - perhaps just the set design or the story in the movie.

Not every piece of inspiration has to be Earth shattering.
    It can be as simple a video worth watching.

This thread is for that.
    If you see something you think inspires you, post it.

Historical Scientific Instruments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTfMLaX820
    Last edited by mechanica; 06-26-2020, 09:46 PM.

Things that inspire me- well the other day I bought a pair of bookshelf speakers. I had previously bought a pair of this same brand and found them to be pretty good. Today I kind of tripped over them, so I figured why not give them a test, then mount them in the workshop. Does that count as inspiration, they were in my way? Sometimes this works, many other times it doesn't. Now I can listen to music in the workshop. Kind of feels good to get something done. Most of my projects lately are on-going, and going, and going-

The works of Nicola Tesla inspire me, watching the story of George Westinghouse was inspiring. I like to see people with a vision just go for it- Elon Musk is one example, Jimi Hendrix is another- many in the music field. I watched a video of a guy being given a tour through a rocket factory, that was inspiring. I've watched that twice now.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

When I was a kid in the late '50s I was greatly inspired by "Science Fiction Theater", especially the introduction where Truman Bradley would demonstrate one of the scientific devices in his laboratory which served as the basis for the story. I was also inspired by documentaries about science and technology pioneers such as Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell. And various science fiction movies, books, and comics served as well. Now I guess I occasionally get inspired by seeing the handiwork of other creative people, as well as learning of problems that might be solved by some imagination and clever engineering.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I am often inspired by the imagination of others.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
        Index "Super 55" mill
        18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
        7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
        24" State disc sander

Comment

Mechanica- I couldn't watch your video, says you have removed it---?
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

My wife gives me inspiration. When she walks in I'm inspired to walk out. 😁

Comment

Not sure if this exactly fits the topic, but it is the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

I stopped for a pizza at a rural bar in Michigan about a year ago. I think it was mid winter, so only a few locals were there. While waiting at the bar to pay for the pizza, I happened to notice the guy next to me at the bar sipping on his beer. His cap had the "AA" All American insignia of the 82nd Airborne, and was about my age.

As I stepped up to pay, as I've routinely done before, I quietly said "thank you", nodded at his cap, and shook his hand. He was startled, and finally said "your're welcome"...then, after I paid, and as I turned away with my pizza, almost unbelievably, he said "you're the first person ever to say that to me"... Now, I've had many different comments before, but I hadn't expected that ! I stood there staring at him, speechless....finally, I just said your service is appreciated by more people that he know.

Although I always try to acknowledge our vets and active military this way, for some reason, this particular guy profoundly affected me, and gave me added inspiration to support our great military people. To any military here, we're proud of you, and "thank you"..
              S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                Mechanica- I couldn't watch your video, says you have removed it---?
                Woops! Try it again, I updated the url.

Comment

Things that motivate me... Often times are the most random, oddball things that make me realize I can do something that I previously hit a roadblock on. It also seems that 90% of the time I am holding myself back so I can concentrate on one thing.
                  Right now I'm at Boeing getting my 777 type. Been using Flight simulator on my laptop with the PMDG 777 to practice procedures. Flight simulator X is over 15 years old, so I got a hair to purchase Lockheed Martins Prepar3d simulator. It runs 1000 times better because it takes advantage of the hardware on the laptop like the GPU. Well, the 2GB of Vram got sucked up and the sim shuts down. I felt motivated to purchase a new video card for the laptop(it has replaceable mxm form factor cards) that has 8gb of video ram. Much cheaper than a new gaming laptop. Once PMDG's 777 supports version 5 of P3D, I'll fully switch over to it.
                  Now I have ideas to build sim cockpit parts. I have access to the real thing so perhaps I will take calipers with me and measure the real deal, build 3d models, and work on actual parts.
                  But again, I must hold myself back and study, which is the last thing that excites me.
                  Last edited by RB211; 06-26-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

There are times when I feel overwhelmed with things needing to be done or the job at hand is too big to handle. Then I remember the man who has done more work than anyone I ever heard of. He is still at it. If he can do that much work, working alone, then there is no job too big to handle. http://www.bishopcastle.org/

Comment

RB211, I bet your clients appreciate the time you spend on training!!!
                      S E Michigan

Comment

Its only proper training that stops you flying like those Pakistani pilots recently.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          Its only proper training that stops you flying like those Pakistani pilots recently.
                          I doubt those Pakistani pilots even had proper type ratings. What they did, and how they did it simply boggles the mind!
                          Besides the training, you're in the cockpit with 1 to 3 other pilots who are also very judgmental and you are constantly being peer reviewed. Cultures outside of the USA have issues with questioning the elders sometimes, sometimes leading to detrimental situations like in SFO a few years ago with the 777. I am pretty sure some of the procedures we are taught on the 777 are a direct result from that. This industry is very big on learning from past mistakes, I'd even say it is driven by it.

Comment

the "shop made tools" thread inspires me. Ditto for old books. Its amazing how much knowledge has been lost.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Lately , I get a lot if inspiration from instagram, lots of sheetmetal hanmmerforming type content and ideas, and motorcycle ideas. Used to get a lot from magazines. Also car shows, hot rod magazines.. that sort of thing. .

Comment

Working...
                              X