• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aldi vises

Click image for larger version

Name:	0 071.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1883315Click image for larger version  Name:	0 058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	1883314Click image for larger version  Name:	0 059.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	1883313Click image for larger version  Name:	0 057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1883305Click image for larger version  Name:	0 058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	1883310Click image for larger version  Name:	0 059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	1883307
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dian; 06-26-2020, 05:47 AM.

text disappeared:

i bought several for $20 each. with a block as pictured they are quite usefull on the band saw and even the mill for small features. and you get a sturdy table clamp as well. i might cut off one pair of jaws on one of them.
    Last edited by dian; 06-26-2020, 05:51 AM.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Where do you get those?
      Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
        That's pretty cool. Where do you get those?
        At Aldi's. And I agree, those are some interesting setups!
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 06-26-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Aldi's??? around here that is a discount grocery store. Please add some more information.

Comment

Aldi (and Lidl, the other one) are indeed discount grocery stores. In Europe at least, they also have special offers; PC's and printers, all kinds of power tools, and stuff like this. It varies week by week, so if you miss out on something, it could be months before it's back in stock. Very hit and miss, but they occasionally have useful stuff. I bought a load of plastic parts boxes with dividers, great for electronics components etc.

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

VERY cute vise.
              Sold at Aldis, as in the grocery store ? ? ?

-D
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                VERY cute vise.
                Sold at Aldis, as in the grocery store ? ? ?

-D
                The very same. In EU they are not limited to just groceries. Much in the same way that Walmart sells everything here, including groceries.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the heads up. I have bought other tools at Aldi here, just never seen this one before. I didn't recognize the name at first.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Looks a lot like one I have, from HF:
                    https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ise-97160.html
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I got one of those recently from the local tool store under the Shop Fox name. The store for those of you here in BC being KMS tools.

It's typical Asian product. The one on display was tight and accurate. The one in the box I brought home wasn't quite so tight and the anti rotation pin hole was drilled off by a little so the jaws didn't line up just right. I drilled out and tapped the body for a bigger set screw and filed the end to fit with a little offset to help correct the issue. It still shakes a little because I didn't quite get the new pin just right. But because of the slight shake the rounded hole and the V's in the jaw self align with anything I put in them.. So perhaps it's now a "feature" that actually works.

I tried to use it just yesterday and found that the table clamp was wobbling on my bench surface. Thought I had a bit of junk stuck under it. Looked at the table clamp base and the surface is just as cast and very "peaked". It'll need to be machined or generously angle ground before it's useful.

All in all it seemed like a good idea. But no, it isn't. A great little design but poorly executed in a lot of ways.... unless you're lucky enough to get one that is nice and tight and nicely aligned like the one that was on display....

I'm assuming that the Aldi ones are no different than the Shop Fox.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

i got 4 of 5 and they are all well made, especially the jaws. lynnl, thats indeed the same, same price also.

(sorry about the mess with the pictures, i see they reproduced since i last looked, but im not going to loose any more time with editing.)

Comment

The advantage we have over joe public is we can correct the faults. Lidl was set up by children of woman who created Aldi. They both have the same clever business model. Throw in a very small stock of hardware, includes clothes, frying pans, electric drills, lawnmower, anything, few new items every Thursday that mostly sell out in days so no long term stock eating space and capital. Gives the bored husband something to buy or he gets it as a birthday present from a kid. If you miss it it comes round again maybe in 6 months. I prefer Lidl to Aldi as they have doughnuts and coffeemate but my local Aldi is bigger so better spacing for current shopping.

Comment

Harbor Fright has them for $20 as well. I have one on the bench in my grinding room & use it a lot. It works great for all kinds of little jobs. I really like what you did with yours Dian. Very creative!
                            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I do like what Dian did too. And I would buy one again. But only if I were allowed to inspect and reject if needed before paying.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X