No announcement yet.

aldi vises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aldi here does have "other stuff" in one aisle, but here it is mostly cheap stuff of the "dollar store" type.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

how common is aldi and lidl in the u.s.?

Comment

1900 stores in 36 states for ALDI..

Comment

wow. quite surprising, in view of the fact that local retailers have been struggling for decades.

btw, i should have offset the hole in the block a little more to give four different heights. comes handy sometimes.

Comment

I thik the idea is great ie having the clamoing block but instead of a new vice I'll look for a table clamp type in a junk sale that has the clamp broken as often happens and save $19. My other favourite from sales is the G-clamp that lost its pad on the screw so nobody wants it.

Comment

My local Aldi seems to have only groceries and party supplies but little else
              Fortunately there are some excellent industrial and hardware suppliers in the area

Comment

Aldi has some interesting stuff from time to time. I got a generic Chinacom 2000W generator there a couple of years ago for $200, the identical model with various badging were running $400-500 most places at the time. Before that I got several great LED work lights for $5 each. About 5 years ago they had an ultrasonic cleaner for cheap. It seems that they buy X number of containers of product from China and sell them in their stores as a one time promotion, when they are gone their gone (no restocking). They usually start at a price point then after about 2-3 weeks they start lowering the price incrementally until the inventory is all sold. Stuff that may interest those of us on this site would come along maybe once in several years. You can go to Aldi's website and view their weekly sale flyer to see what they have, usually you give up after several months and the first time that you don't look you miss out on a good buy.

Comment

The two of 'em (Lidl and Aldi) compete fiercely here - they're literally on opposite corners of a crossroads! Lidl here in the UK recently had plasma cutters for £80, about $100 dollars, with a 3-year warranty (all AldiLidl tools have the warranty!), In the UK thery're limited to 30A thanks to laws which make the 13A 240v 3-pin-caltrop compulsory, Ireland and the other EU countries get the 40A version with industrial commando plug for a few £ more.
                  You have to change the plug and twirl a preset on the PCB to get the full 40A...

They sold out inside 15 minutes on the day they came in stock, big surprise

Dave H. (the other one)
                  Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                    Looks a lot like one I have, from HF:
                    https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ise-97160.html
                    Comparing the two images they are very similar, except the Horrible Fright vise fails in the casting finish and paint department. Maybe in a few other areas that you don't readily see, as BC found.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Comparing the two images they are very similar, except the Horrible Fright vise fails in the casting finish and paint department. Maybe in a few other areas that you don't readily see, as BC found.
                      Aldi and Lidl have pretty good QC, at least for the European market - everything in the tools has a German TuV stamp and CE labelling, TuV requires a documented QC trail, CE formal method statements re manufacturing and design - both Aldi and Lidl give a *3-year* money-back warranty on all their tools, just keep your receipt.
                      I don't shop at HF (wrong side of the pond), what are their warranty terms like? Enough to make them do the QC on what they sell?

Dave H. (the other one)
                      Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Well, I know nothing about the vises offered by Aldi, or others, but I'm damn well happy with this $20 one from HF. Yes it does have that sand-like texture on the cast surfaces, as do most castings, but the paint looks very nice to me, especially in view of the price.

But where it really counts, the clamping, it could not be better. I currently have it clamped onto a very sturdy, rigid steel table. The vise is as rigid as can be, and the clamping on each of the rotational axes is likewise. I suppose a few blows with a heavy hammer might dislodge something, but then I would not expect anvil-like rigidity.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                          Well, I know nothing about the vises offered by Aldi, or others, but I'm damn well happy with this $20 one from HF. Yes it does have that sand-like texture on the cast surfaces, as do most castings, but the paint looks very nice to me, especially in view of the price.

But where it really counts, the clamping, it could not be better. I currently have it clamped onto a very sturdy, rigid steel table. The vise is as rigid as can be, and the clamping on each of the rotational axes is likewise. I suppose a few blows with a heavy hammer might dislodge something, but then I would not expect anvil-like rigidity.
                          ++1 If yours is like mine Lynn, the color is a much more pleasing shade of blue than is shown on their website plus the finish isn't as rough.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                            ++1 If yours is like mine Lynn, the color is a much more pleasing shade of blue than is shown on their website plus the finish isn't as rough.
                            Yep, you're right, on both counts; especially the grainy texture shown in that internet picture.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                            X