Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVER have a bar hanging out of a lathe spindle, get away on you.?.Windmill !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVER have a bar hanging out of a lathe spindle, get away on you.?.Windmill !

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_134137.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	735.4 KB
ID:	1883460 This one behind the tooling, started whipping on my buddy's 20 ich Standard Modern. I got it stopped pretty quick, but it was starting to pull out of the chuck , nearly right out of the jaws. You can see the rub marks from spindle as it was coming outward. ..1 inch round. Scary few seconds.
    Last edited by 754; 06-26-2020, 07:47 PM.

I have seen them a couple of times, hanging too far out the left side of the spindle, take a 90 degree bend. It gets exciting real quick!
    Kansas City area

Comment

Happened to me.
      Stock was 1/2" x about 3' long.
      Lathe was a Hardinge HLV-H at college.
      Someone has the reeves drive cranked up full tilt.
      Could not see the speed indicator bar, as the plastic was frosted over
      and probably would have not thought to look at it anyways.
      Clicked it on expecting some slow and normal rpm,
      but got something like 3000, straight out the gate.
      Wap wap wap wap, shlt myself.
      No one was hurt, luckily.
      You can't turn a reeves drive down unless you run the lathe.
      Never will forget that lesson.

-D
      DZER

Comment

I have on occasion had a large amount of bar on the wrong end of a lathe.

I would not spin such a part fast.

But this is plain stupid at work.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ZJa2HSkYE
        Last edited by Bented; 06-26-2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

That happened once while I worked at Fisher Gauge in Peterborough. The engineering office was on the main floor of the building and the machine shop was in the basement. Somebody fired up a lathe with about four foot of 3/4" rod hung out past the rear of the spindle. It made one hell of a racket and scared us half to death because with every revolution it whacked the cement floor. I think that machinist was fired about half an hour afterwards.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

I should mention about 30 to 35 inches was hanging past the sawcut. The second set of marks is from the end door of the lathe.
            I think I was at about 500 rpm. . I think I started momentarily and it seemed Ok, I asked buddy if he thought it was ok, it went about 30 or 40 seconds, think when tool touched work it sent a vibration through the rod. Got it stopped in 4 or 5 seconds I think. Would not want it coming out of chuck and come out the spindle.
            I am not making a joke of it, I know many deaths and severe injuries have happened from this.

Comment

The guy in the video whacked a $200.000.00 machine, it would make a hobby machinist cry.
              That is roughly 75 new Harbor Freight lathes (-:

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                The guy in the video whacked a $200.000.00 machine, it would make a hobby machinist cry.
                That is roughly 75 new Harbor Freight lathes (-:
                Not to mention his tool kit.

Comment

I had about 24" of 5/16" drill rod start beating a tool chest and wall that are next to the lathe.. I got it stopped pretty quick but the damage was done. I cut off that bent and twisted part and hung it on the wall behind the lathe for a constant reminder. It stayed there for years but finally got so rusty it looked like a dead snake and I took it down. Never had that happen again though. I have a number of tubes made of pipe and plastic of various sizes I now use for support. A couple attach to the wall and a couple are free standing using some old HF roller stands.

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post

Not to mention his tool kit.
                    I suspect that his tools would be the least of his problems.
                    Last edited by Bented; 06-26-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Early on I did a stupid thing with a length of 1/4 or 5/16 O-1 drill rod. there was a good foot and a half sticking out the back and running fast due to the diameter. I saw it wobbling in a sort of standing wave thing and for some really stupid reason reached in to steady it. I'm not sure if it whipped to the side before I touched it or if it did so just from barely making contact upsetting the delicate balance. But it immediately went sideways and swept my hand vigorously out of the way. Saying I was a bit relieved from the shock to look down and see four fingers and a thumb still attached and that they were not bent oddly was a huge relief. Damped somewhat by the rather nasty level of pain associated with my stupidity.

I don't let anything stick out the back of the lathe now without considering size and speed.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Its called not planning ahead
                        Here is a job I had with a 12 foot 1-1/4" leadscrew running at 800 RPM
                        Those plastic blocks are screwed to the wood plank
                        works like a charm
                        Rich

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3708.JPG Views:	0 Size:	958.6 KB ID:	1883486
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Nope. If it hangs out more than a few inches from the spindle, I rethink the setup.

Comment

I have recounted my experiences on this subject before. When I first worked for my last firm, they had two sites, the old one where I worked and a much newer building about 25 miles away. The old one had several CNC mills and some CNC lathes. All but one of the lathes had bar feed and the guy running the odd one put a six foot length of 2" aluminium bar in the chuck with about 6" sticking out. The lathe had variable speed control, and he turned it up to over 2000 rpm and after about ten seconds, the bar bent at right angles and hit his tool box. The box disintegrated and most of the tools went up through the double skin roof insulation. The roof was about 25 feet above and an area of about 12 feet in diameter looked like it had been shot at by a giant shotgun. As nobody was hurt, we thought it was hilarious. The lathe was in the region of 18 x 48, Japanese, and it went to India when the old factory was shut down. The building was sold, demolished and a new posh office block built there, I wonder if the people knocking it down found any tools in the roof.

Comment

Oh,oh....
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Someones Parts.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1883568
                              S E Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X