Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Dust from the Sahara falling on the United States

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT Dust from the Sahara falling on the United States

    I was surprised to hear of a plume of Saharan dust making its way right across the Atlantic. I thought it only got to Europe, to leave a reddish stain on everything, especially cars. I remember that recently, possibly early this year that Bristol (Lulsgate) airport was shut down for a day because the dust was thick enough to interfere with visibility.

  • #2
    Who's paying the improt duty?

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I'm don't have the exact patterns memorized, but if a big swirl of it gets carried far enough south to get caught up in the Easterlies, then the Carribean, the Gulf of Mexico, and southern part of Nth. America is right in the path. It's not a terribly uncommon occurrence, tho the magnitude or severity varies.
      Follows much the same pattern as the little waves or perturbations in the winds that over time grow into tropical storms that come our way.. And as with tropical storms, as you note, there's often a turning to the north that carries it back to the N and NE toward the UK and Euro. But this time there's a much longer easterly fetch in the flow.

      And there's probably a seasonal variation of the African "dust season" at play here too, but that's beyond my scope.
      Last edited by lynnl; 06-27-2020, 10:22 AM.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

      Comment


      • #4
        Makes things easier..... why visit the ancestral home in Libya, when it is coming here for a visit?
        CNC machines only go through the motions

        Comment


        • #5
          Yet when some major volcanic eruption occurs, the ash and dust cloud spreads across the globe in 2 days causing "red sunsets", re routed flights, etc., etc., etc, and this is only passing news unless you are flying through it. Any bets that some group will step up to "save you" from this new and awful threat to your existence? The media is mostly just a joke. Sorry for the rant, I'll go back into the shop now.
          S E Michigan

          Comment


          • #6
            This is gonna hurt the media, they won't have as many 'killer' hurricanes to scare us about. the dust will soften the sun's heat energy in the atmosphere resulting in cooler temps and cooler ocean temps for hurricanes to develop.

            Comment


            • #7
              Flash back.....settled science 1970, models prove that a global ice age is coming. You see, there are some advantages to being around over 65 years....
              S E Michigan

              Comment


              • #8
                I do hope DT doesn't hear about it, or the Africans will get the blame for the upsurge in CO19.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                  This is gonna hurt the media, they won't have as many 'killer' hurricanes to scare us about. the dust will soften the sun's heat energy in the atmosphere resulting in cooler temps and cooler ocean temps for hurricanes to develop.
                  Lets hope

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dust from the Sahara has been feeding the coral reefs of Bermuda for centuries.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice red sunset tonight, quite possibly from the dust.

                      Could be tiny pieces of distant relatives blowing over here for a visit.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        I was surprised to hear of a plume of Saharan dust making its way right across the Atlantic. I thought it only got to Europe, to leave a reddish stain on everything, especially cars. I remember that recently, possibly early this year that Bristol (Lulsgate) airport was shut down for a day because the dust was thick enough to interfere with visibility.
                        Hey Mart. If indeed there was a wind event I get that. I spent some years on the Pacific Ocean. I did not get to go on the Atlantic. LiL Jealous? Yes, I am. I guess I could have re-upped. L

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Geez...
                          Chinese viruses,
                          Asian murder Hornets, and now....
                          Saharan Dust storms...
                          what's next in 2020?
                          The Four Horsemen?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Don't get your pull-up in a wedge. It'll be gone in a few more days. We had it in south Texas for the last few days. Maybe a week. I can't tell the difference from the red dust I get off my property or the farm out back so the only way I know is to watch the local news. A couple of rain showers helped clean the air. It's still hotter than a taco grill down here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                              Geez...
                              Chinese viruses,
                              Asian murder Hornets, and now....
                              Saharan Dust storms...
                              what's next in 2020?
                              The Four Horsemen?
                              You forgot the hordes of locusts currently plaguing the Middle East.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X